I Love Guinea Pigs: Read and Wonder by Dick…

I Love Guinea Pigs: Read and Wonder

by Dick King-Smith

This book is a good introduction to keeping guinea pigs for lower elementary students. It describes many different breeds and gives instructions on how to care for them. You can tell the author really likes guinea pigs! ( )
  aleader | Jan 19, 2014 |
I don't think I'd ever really considered the charms of the guinea pig - having never had one as a pet myself, nor encountered them much, as a child - before reading a review of this adorable book. But now, having read I Love Guinea Pigs, a picture-book by the prolific Dick King-Smith - whose many animals adventures, for slightly older readers, include titles like Babe: The Gallant Pig and A Mouse Called Wolf - I am won over by their personality, their endearing habits, and yes, by their almost unbearably cute appearance.

I had no idea that there were different types of guinea pig (again, having never really thought about the topic), nor that they were such chatty animals! Part of the Read and Wonder series, which attempts to combine picture-book virtues like good storytelling and quality illustrations, with an informative, fact-filled text, this book taught me how little I knew about this animal. The watercolor artwork by Anita Jeram - perhaps best known as the illustrator of Guess How Much I Love You - was sweet and appealing. All in all, an excellent introduction to these cavy darlings, one I would recommend to all young guinea pig lovers, or any child thinking of getting a guinea pig as a pet! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 19, 2013 |
"Properly cared for, they can live a long time." And when mine dies after 2 years how do I resolve that to a child. I like the use of the pronoun I in the story. They should have taken some time to go over how the animals should be petted and held. Small children grab. But overall I liked this book. A lot of JK classes have guinea pigs in them and sometimes the child gets to take them home for a weekend.
  dchaves | Jul 10, 2007 |

"A wonderful celebration of the attributes of guinea pigs... A popular pet and familiar subject is given new vigor and interest through originality, love, and respect." —The Boston Globe

I LOVE GUINEA PIGS is an affectionate guide to the most charming of very small animals. Did you know, for instance, that guinea pigs rarely get sick and love to eat? Or that they love one another and have adorable children too? Portrayed in all thier amiable chunkiness, guinea pigs finally recieve the tribute they so richly deserve.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:26 -0400)

Tells where guinea pigs come from, shows how to take care of them, and gives information about some of the guinea pigs the author has owned.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible