Aunt Harriet's Underground Railroad in the…

Aunt Harriet's Underground Railroad in the Sky

by Faith Ringgold

There are many reasons that I liked this book. After reading Tar Beach in class, I wanted to read another book by this author. The book really pushed young readers to learn about the tough issue of slavery and gave a fictional history of the underground railroad. Ringgold helped tell the tale of slavery and civil rights in a more simple, easy to understand way for children. I really liked that the story covered such difficult issues so that students could begin to learn about and broaden their perspectives on the problems of the past. Another aspect of the story that I thought enhanced the book was point of view. The story was told through the perspective of a young, African-American girl named Cassie who followed "Aunt Harriet" through the Underground Railroad of the past. I think it was a very interesting way to tell the story because it makes the story much more relatable to younger students. These students will be able to relate to a girl close to their age and follow her story of history. Telling the story through the point of view of a young girl helps make the book more enjoyable for students. The big idea sent to readers in this story is all in the history of slavery, Harriet Tubman, and the Underground Railroad; the message is that slavery was a large problem in history and it is crucial to see how important civil rights are. ( )
  CasieProdoehl | Sep 14, 2015 |
A good book to illustrate the impact of the Underground Railroad, without having to address the more mature elements of its operation and the peril that came with its existence.
  Climbing-books | Dec 17, 2014 |
Cassie and her brother Be Be meet a train full of people, and Be Be gets on but Cassie misses the train. Harriet Tubman guides her and they follow the steps of the slaves who escaped in the Underground Railroad and she finds Be Be.
Slavery, History

1-4 ( )
  hatease | Dec 2, 2014 |
This book takes the time to focus on a critical time in history, and uses two young individuals as they experience first hand the events that took place during the underground railroad with one of the most legendary conductors of the railroad, Harriet Tubman.
  Kassidy_Maxie | Nov 30, 2014 |
I have always enjoyed this book very much. I remember reading it as a young child and I have always had a mental picture of the cover of the book, with Aunt Harriet, Be Be, and Cassie flying in a bright blue sky. I think that this is a wonderful example of a successful children's story in that it presents an important, meaningful lesson about history, but is presented in an approachable and understandable way for children. By using a child as the narrator, children who read the book are able to connect to her. The book also gives children an introduction to an important time in history and creates a starting point for students to explore the topic in more depth as they grow older. The illustrations are memorable and help the story and its themes become engrained in children. Overall, after re-reading this book today, I believe that it is definitely a book that I would utilize in my own classroom. ( )
  jfoti | May 7, 2014 |

Illus. in full color. Cassie, who flew above New York in Tar Beach, soars into the sky once more. This time, she and her brother Be Be meet a train full of people, and Be Be joins them. But the train departs before Cassie can climb aboard. With Harriet Tubman as her guide, Cassie retraces the steps escaping slaves took on the real Underground Railroad and is finally reunited with her brother at the story's end.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:56 -0400)

With Harriet Tubman as her guide, Cassie retraces the steps escaping slaves took on the Underground Railroad in order to reunite with her younger brother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,707,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible