Aunt Harriet's Underground Railroad in the…

Aunt Harriet's Underground Railroad in the Sky

by Faith Ringgold

4591922,646 (3.76)4

I have always enjoyed this book very much. I remember reading it as a young child and I have always had a mental picture of the cover of the book, with Aunt Harriet, Be Be, and Cassie flying in a bright blue sky. I think that this is a wonderful example of a successful children's story in that it presents an important, meaningful lesson about history, but is presented in an approachable and understandable way for children. By using a child as the narrator, children who read the book are able to connect to her. The book also gives children an introduction to an important time in history and creates a starting point for students to explore the topic in more depth as they grow older. The illustrations are memorable and help the story and its themes become engrained in children. Overall, after re-reading this book today, I believe that it is definitely a book that I would utilize in my own classroom. ( )
  jfoti | May 7, 2014 |
This book tells of two children and their adventure traveling the Underground Railroad to Canada to freedom. Aunt Harriet directs these two to each stop and the children meet many interesting people and see many new things. Though the children are separated at the beginning, they keep in contact through notes left along the way. The children experience the feelings of what the slaves went through on their trip to freedom.
  AyannaMagee | Apr 30, 2014 |
This book would be great to teach expression. There was a lot of conversational text with varied punctuation and expression.
  AMaffett | Apr 30, 2014 |
I'm pretty certain I read this book a few years ago, but decided to reread it for Goodreads. I enjoyed learning more about Harriet Tubman, but the topic may be a little deep for younger readers. Color illustrations do a nice job of accompanying the story. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Summary: This book is about Harriet Tubman's experiences during slavery and it tells the story of when she was trying to free the slaves, she takes two children back in time to experience what life was like back then.
Personal Reaction: I think this book was really good, and it would help children understand slavery better.
Classroom Extension:
1. I would have a slavery lesson with this book.
2. This would also be a good story to use to talk about the underground railroad.
  april.doolan | Oct 25, 2012 |

Illus. in full color. Cassie, who flew above New York in Tar Beach, soars into the sky once more. This time, she and her brother Be Be meet a train full of people, and Be Be joins them. But the train departs before Cassie can climb aboard. With Harriet Tubman as her guide, Cassie retraces the steps escaping slaves took on the real Underground Railroad and is finally reunited with her brother at the story's end.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:15 -0400)

With Harriet Tubman as her guide, Cassie retraces the steps escaping slaves took on the Underground Railroad in order to reunite with her younger brother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,713,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible