I'm Watching You by Mary Burton

I'm Watching You

by Mary Burton

1206100,400 (3.96)3

This was in many ways too predictable, although I must admit I didn't guess who the villain was, perhaps because he was so undeveloped in the story. By page 38 I knew what the resolution would be between Lindsay and Zack. A 6th grade-level read, certainly no literary gem! ( )
  emmee1000 | Jan 21, 2013 |
I came across I’m Watching You well surfing around Fantastic Fiction. I find it to be one of the best websites for discovering new authors, or authors I have never read anything by before. I am not disappointed at all that I purchased this book. Lindsay and Zack were flawed characters with a ton of baggage. Lindsay, even though she had been through so much, used her tragic past in a positive way to help other women who have suffered through abuse at the hands of their so-called loving husbands. It was easy to become attached to Lindsay and Zach. They are characters you want to like and I found myself rotting for them to resolve their issues and get back together. Warwick was another character I liked from the moment he was introduced. At the end of the book, once the killer was revealed you release just how much Warwick’s character meant to the plot of the book. There was also a strong secondary storyline involving Lindsay’s roommate, who was on the run from an abusive husband. In addition, there were small subplots involving a few of the woman at the shelter. I really cannot say enough about this book. It was very hard to put down. You think you have the killer figured out and there is a huge plot twist and your back at square one. I figured out who the killer was on page 301. It was the way the killer said one sentence that revealed his identity to me. “I’m sorry. I couldn’t take that chance.” Tears filled the Guardian’s eyes. “Dumb, dawn kids. You shouldn’t have been here.” I find sometimes that once I figure out who the killer is it’s hard to read the rest of the book. That was not the case with this book. It was just as exciting to stay tuned well the characters discovered the identity of the killer. I would recommend I’m Watching You to anyone who loves romantic suspense, mystery type books. ( )
  chrissywest | Jan 9, 2011 |
This book is set in Richmond, VA, and I always get a little extra thrill when I read something that’s set in a place I am familiar with. It’s like I’m in on a secret. Beyond that, I thought this was a decent book, with the twist of an extra bad guy. I could have stood a little more… something … between Lindsay and Zack. Some stronger push and pull, some more spark, just something. I just didn’t feel the chemistry that was supposed to be between them, even when they were arguing. The relationship just seemed kinda flat. But, I would read more from Mary Burton, especially since I now know she’s a local author. She has a sequel to this book (of sorts — it features secondary characters) out in November. ( )
  miyurose | Oct 7, 2008 |
Lindsay O'Neil survived her father's abuse. He killed her mother and then himself, but she managed to survive and begin a sheltered for battered women. But now someone calling himself `The Guardian' is threatening that. He's killing abusers in her name and sending her their severed hands. To complicate matters, her estranged husband Zach Kier is one of the lead detectives investigating the case.

She and Zach separated due to his alcoholism, fueled partly by his work as an undercover vice cop. Zach managed to get clean, but Lindsay is still wary of renewing their relationship. His partner Jacob Warwick believes he'll return to drinking as well and treats him rather brusquely.

Lindsay works with the cops to catch the killer, but she also tries to continue protecting battered women - including her secret roommate Nicole Piper. Unfortunately, some of those women are suspects. Even more unfortunately, Nicole's husband is looking for her. I liked that Lindsay both had a reasonable motive for not cooperating completely with the police and didn't go looking for the killer on her own. She trusts them to do their job.

I likewise enjoyed Mary Burton's portrayal of Zach. An alcoholic is easy to make unlikeable. But I know many undercover narcotics cops do have substance abuse problems, and he made the effort to change his lifestyle and get clean. Lindsay's decision to kick him out wasn't the best possible, but it makes sense given her background of abuse.

Some scenes in I'M WATCHING YOU are rather violent, but I don't think Burton revels in the gore as much as some suspense writers. Children (teenagers) are hurt during the course of the novel, which I know bothers some readers. There are many references to and scenes of abuse that might not be palatable to those close to the subject. Nothing in the story bothered me, but it does tread close to issues that bother some people (often with good reason).

Burton develops an interesting serial killer who is all the more disturbing because his motives are altruistic. I'M WATCHING YOU plays well within the conventions of the genre and possesses the favorable characteristics of a non-jerk hero and a thinking heroine. ( )
  Liviania | Sep 17, 2008 |
Lindsay has come from an abusive past, where she has watched her father beat, and eventualy murder her mother. After running away, she managed to use her background for good, setting up a shelter for other abused women.

When a body is found outside the shelter, and a gruesome gift is sent to her, it becomes clear that there is a link. Added to this, her ex husband is assigned to the case.

For me, the suspense part of the book worked well. Although it’s obvious that the killer believes he is helping Lindsay, it’s not obvious exactly who he is, until the author decides to reveal it to us. There is no frustration as the characters miss obvious clues, and it moves at a good pace.The ending to the suspense also has an interesting angle to it.

The romance side of the story, however, I did not feel was so good. Lindsay and Zack’s marriage had fallen apart fairly quickly, and yet, despite all the stress and pressure of the murders, they start to reconcile things between them. This is, however, very gradual, until the end of the book, where everything wraps up a little too neatly for my liking.

So a mixed review, but for suspense readers, it’s probably worth reading, just for the main storyline.
1 vote michelle_bcf | Aug 6, 2008 |
Richmond, Virginia, Monday, July 7, 4:10 A.M.
Thou shalt not kill. The shadowed figure squatted in the darkness by Harold Turner's lifeless body, amazed that excitement, not shame, surged.

In this spine-tingling tale of romantic suspense, a woman finds herself facing the wrath of an out-of-control killer, as well as the amorous attentions of her former husband--the detective assigned to the case.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,535,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible