The Remains of the Dead by Wendy Roberts

The Remains of the Dead

by Wendy Roberts

2371948,722 (3.71)11

English (18)  Piratical (1)  All (19)
The Remains of the Dead
3.5 Stars

In addition to her unusual occupation (crime scene cleanup), Sadie Novak has the added “gift” of being able to speak to the ghosts of the victims. When Sadie and her partner, former police officer Zach Bowman, are hired to clean up the scene of a murder/suicide, she is shocked to encounter not only a silent ghost with an urgent need to communicate, but a handsome man who is very much alive and has a troubling connection to the case. As Sadie begins to uncover the secrets of the Toth family, she becomes the target of a desperate killed intent on getting away with murder.

While this is a cozy paranormal mystery, it does contain vivid and sometimes gruesome descriptions of decomposing corpses and blood spattered crime scenes. As such, it is not recommended for readers with weaker stomachs.

Not only is Sadie a rather prickly and oft times brusque heroine, but she also has one or two annoyingly TSTL moments.

The story is well-paced and the writing flows although the author does have a tendency to mix up character names, which can get confusing at times. The mystery is interesting despite the obvious culprit, and the climax and resolution are exciting and satisfying. Moreover, the hints at a romance between Sadie and Zach have definite potential, and as a romance fan this is sufficient for me to continue with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
My God, the ending of this book was depressing.

Good book, and if I run into the second somewhere I'll nab it. I won't actively hunt for it or order it online, though.

Mystery wise it was average. There weren't many players in the field so it was easy to guess who it could have been. Not enough leads to other sources. I was able to guess the motive pretty early too if I was right on the killer (turned out being so.) Pacing didn't lag so the book was never dull and there were enough little shockers to fill the void of suspense. The majority of the novel wasn't on the mystery exactly, but character interaction and lots of time on various jobs. It sounds distracting but these were the most interesting scenes of the story.

The major issue with me is the main character, Sadie. I just don't really like her. Sure, I understand her reasoning behind the job she chose and it's a noble one. Despite her speeches about being caring and loving letting a spirit go free, when she does stumble upon an ocassional ghost she's basically rude most of the time and it's clear they mainly just annoy her. I also took offense with the way she phrased her objections to her sister about the wedding engagement, and especially how ridiculous she was with the psychic. Thankfully the woman pointed out how annoying her skepticism became, but even after proven the woman was genuine, trying to help, and similar to Sadie's abilities, Sadie was generally still too short and rude half the time. The woman just was too moody and bitchy for me to latch on to as a heroine. I didn't hate her but she's not someone I can understand.

Zach was awesome though, as was the fun friend Pam and the other characters. The author writes well and it's easy to fall into her story as she keeps the dialogue realistic, doesn't muddle the page with pointless ramblings of decor and description, and keeps the pacing smooth and moving forward.

I do recommend to fans of paranormal mysteries. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I've read several stories now based on crime cleanup, this tale adds a little extra a psychic connection. However, the characters never fully came alive for me, and the mystery was easily solved in the first 1/3 of the book. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 6, 2016 |
a cute, quick read. Probably worth checking out a couple more in the series ( )
  bhabeck | Mar 6, 2016 |
After reading reviews, decided it wasn't for me. Didn't even start.
  emblue | Jan 3, 2016 |
Dying is the most embarrassing thing that can ever happen to you, because someone has to take care of all your details. -- Andy Warhol
She dipped a scrub brush into the cleaning fluid and stroked the bedroom wall in wide, arched swipes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451222687, Mass Market Paperback)

The first book in a new paranormal mystery series featuring Sadie Novak, a professional crime scene cleaner and amateur medium.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:07 -0400)

When Sadie Novak is hired to clean up after the murder-suicide of Trudy and Grant Toth, she meets the spirit of Trudy, who, determined to prove her husband's innocence, inspires her to find the real killer.

Wendy Roberts is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,053,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible