Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie…

Confessions of a Shopaholic (2001)

by Sophie Kinsella

The Secret Shopper's Revenge by Kate Harrison (generalkala)
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (rosylibrarian)
    Animal Husbandry by Laura Zigman (sturlington)
    The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder: A Novel by Holly McQueen (Anonymous user)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: This book is a lot of fun, just like Shopaholic! Slightly more serious tone but a fast and fun read - highly recommended!

English (211)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (218)
What a waste of time reading this book. I could of just slapped Rebecca all the way though this book. Was hopeing it would get better as the book went on but sadly, no. ( )
  s.a.l | Jun 24, 2015 |
I don't even want to comment on this. Yes the book was cute and catchy, but honestly Becky Bloomwood is one of the MOST annoying characters I have ever read. I want to keep reading the books, but if Becky is always like this I'm not sure I'm going to make it. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
Odio el chick-lit . No sé porque me molesto en leerlo . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
This is so great and so funny! Too bad I didn't know about these books before. More mindless entertainment, and British mindless entertainment to boot.
I thought I would just add a word of caution. If you are anything like me, you may begin to go around saying things you don't normally say upon reading this book, like "Do excuse me, but I need to go to the loo", and your family will think you have gone mad. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
When I first noticed this book in bookstores around 2003, I was such a newbie to Chick Lit, I actually thought it might be Self-Help :o) I had somehow passed over Chick Lit up till then, and Confessions of a Shopaholic was the first one I read.

I won't summarize the plot again, as Becky has a lot of reviews here & I think we all know her story by now.

Although Becky as a character is one of the most slap-worthy chick-lit heroines I've ever read about, I have to admit I enjoyed the book and read it 4 or 5 times before "releasing" it on BookCrossing, where I was a member at the time. I bought a replacement copy just this January, and must admit that, 10 years later, Becky drove me mad even faster than she did the first time.

Tells whoppers all day long. Can't do her job properly to save her life. Tells her parents her long-suffering bank manager is a stalker (I think that's too serious an accusation to use in a "fun" way even in a book as ridiculous as this). Gets angry when she thinks everyone treats her like a joke. Hey, Becky! If you don't want people to think you're a joke, stop telling incredible lies, get serious about your career, and stop engineering the idiotic self-inflicted dramas that keep backfiring on you. Open your bank statements and bills. Stop thinking you don't have to pay them if you drop them behind your desk or throw them in a dumpster.

But if Becky did all that, this book wouldn't be the breezy champagne bubble read that it is. Just take it as you find it, try not to scream, and read something else if girls like Becky make you want to commit mayhem! ( )
  booksandscones | Apr 4, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to my friend and agent, Araminta Whitley.
OK. DON'T PANIC.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440241413, Mass Market Paperback)

If you've ever paid off one credit card with another, thrown out a bill before opening it, or convinced yourself that buying at a two-for-one sale is like making money, then this silly, appealing novel is for you. In the opening pages of Confessions of a Shopaholic, recent college graduate Rebecca Bloomwood is offered a hefty line of credit by a London bank. Within a few months, Sophie Kinsella's heroine has exceeded the limits of this generous offer, and begins furtively to scan her credit-card bills at work, certain that she couldn't have spent the reported sums.

In theory anyway, the world of finance shouldn't be a mystery to Rebecca, since she writes for a magazine called Successful Saving. Struggling with her spendthrift impulses, she tries to heed the advice of an expert and appreciate life's cheaper pleasures: parks, museums, and so forth. Yet her first Saturday at the Victoria and Albert Museum strikes her as a waste. Why? There's not a price tag in sight.

It kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it? You wander round, just looking at things, and it all gets a bit boring after a while. Whereas if they put price tags on, you'd be far more interested. In fact, I think all museums should put prices on their exhibits. You'd look at a silver chalice or a marble statue or the Mona Lisa or whatever, and admire it for its beauty and historical importance and everything--and then you'd reach for the price tag and gasp, "Hey, look how much this one is!" It would really liven things up.
Eventually, Rebecca's uncontrollable shopping and her "imaginative" solutions to her debt attract the attention not only of her bank manager but of handsome Luke Brandon--a multimillionaire PR representative for a finance group frequently covered in Successful Saving. Unlike her opposite number in Bridget Jones's Diary, however, Rebecca actually seems too scattered and spacey to reel in such a successful man. Maybe it's her Denny and George scarf. In any case, Kinsella's debut makes excellent fantasy reading for the long stretches between white sales and appliance specials. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:52 -0400)

Rebecca Bloomwood, a financial journalist at Successful Savings, seeks solace from the boredom, pressures, and difficulties in life with her shopping, a solution that brings her ever closer to financial disaster, until she finally encounters a story that she actually cares about and produces an article that will change her own life and the lives of all those around her.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,487,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible