Confessions of a Shopaholic (2001)

by Sophie Kinsella

Series: Shopaholic (1)

Becky Bloomwood is bored to death writing for Successful Saving. So, with a handsome credit line from her bank, she liberates herself the best way she knows how -- by shopping! Think of it as an investment, she tells herself. But, soon she is buried in bank notices and cursed VISA bills.
Recently added byArina40, cbagazin, private library, ashezbookz, Lin456, MenloPark, Parkside_LFL
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (rosylibrarian)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: This book is a lot of fun, just like Shopaholic! Slightly more serious tone but a fast and fun read - highly recommended!
    The Secret Shopper's Revenge by Kate Harrison (generalkala)
    The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder: A Novel by Holly McQueen (Anonymous user)

English (241)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (250)
You know, very relatable lol my head thinks like hers, my brain is like oh god why but do it anyway - from what I remember of the movie which has been a while since I watched, this was very on point! Adorable and informative ... learning something while reading some drama is awesome! ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |
borrowed the series from library and it is very entertaining. I t reminds me of mu senior essay in HS. ( )
  ypellegrino | Oct 17, 2020 |
A really fun quick vacation read. I did feel as though Rebecca's terrible behavior dragged on a little long to the point of complete annoyance and well beyond charming. But I can appreciate that she was a character with a strong voice and personality.
Really nothing at all like the movie which was a nice surprise as it meant I was reading a completely new story. ( )
  mackinsquash | Aug 15, 2020 |
895 ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
I do re-read this book every couple of years. Probably because it was my first glimpse of Becky Bloomwood and I liked her a lot. I remember being in my 20s and spending with my credit card like I wasn't going to have to pay the bill. And I remember the juggling I did to pay down bills and the stress I would feel when I had to choose between eating something that was not soup or paying my JC Penney card down (starting off in government I had to buy new clothes...seriously people, instead of a wedding trousseau, we need to fund young men/women clothes when they go out into the workforce) so I wouldn't get a screeching call about being sent to collections.

What makes "Confessions" so fun for me is that Becky is a mess. She's working at a job she hates (writer at Successful Saving) while trying to pay down her bills due to how much she loves shopping. And it's not just Becky loves shopping for clothes and accessories. It's pretty much any old thing. This of course is when Becky loses me cause I loathe shopping at the mall and every Christmas I promise myself I am just going to buy online and ship to my family. And every year I wait to late to do that (delivery fees are criminal) so I have to brave the crowds and try my best to not hip check people into kiosks.

While Becky doesn't love the job she is in, she does love she gets to go to presentations dealing with banks and investment firms. Due to Becky not really paying attention at her job, she realizes a tip she gives a family friend could end up harming them and starts to get her life back on track.

We do get a whole case of characters in this one who we will continue to read about throughout the series.

We have Becky talking about Luke Brandon who I would say is an earlier prototype of Christian Grey without the BDSM.

Becky lives with her best friend and flatmate Suze who manages to have her life somewhat together more than Becky.

And we also have Becky's parents who are just as messy as Becky. Becky's neighbor's son who everyone thinks that Becky is into.

I will admit there is very little development of the characters besides Becky and Suze and Becky's parents in this one. Luke is very one dimensional and stayed that way for me throughout most of the books. Besides being rich and tall, I don't get what was so interesting about him.

The writing is okay. Nothing spectacular, but honestly, sometimes I want to read a fluffy book that makes me root for a character. Do I think this is going to go down as some classic over the years? Doubtful? But it is an enjoyable book. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |

Raffo, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sjøgren-Erichsen, TorleifTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tamminen, LeenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vassart, IsabelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my friend and agent, Araminta Whitley.
OK. DON'T PANIC.
The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic is the original UK title of this book by a UK writer. Confessions of a Shopaholic is the US title and is NOT the original title.

MEET BECKY BLOOMWOOD, AN IRRESISTIBLE HEROINE WITH A BIG HEART, BIG DREAMS --- AND JUST ONE LITTLE WEAKNESS ...

Becky Bloomwood has what most twenty-five-year-olds only dream of: a flat in London's trendiest neighborhood, a troupe of glamorous socialite friends, and a closet brimming with the season's must-haves. The only trouble is, she can't actually afford it --- not any of it. Her job writing at Successful Saving magazine not only bores her to tears, it doesn't pay much at all. Still, how can she resist that perfect pair of shoes? Or the divine silk blouse in the window of that ultra-trendy boutique? But lately Becky's been chased by dismal letters from Visa and the Endwich Bank --- letters with large red sums she can't bear to read --- and they're getting ever harder to ignore. She tries cutting back; she even tries making more money. But none of her efforts succeeds. Her only consolation is to buy herself something ... just a little something ...

Finally, a story arises that Becky actually cares about, and her front-page article catalyzes a chain of events that will transform her life --- and the lives of those around her --- forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,485,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible