Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie…

Confessions of a Shopaholic (2001)

by Sophie Kinsella

7,863207425 (3.57)124
Recently added byjennifer.zampedri, MyraRamirez
    The Secret Shopper's Revenge by Kate Harrison (generalkala)
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (rosylibrarian)
    Animal Husbandry by Laura Zigman (sturlington)
    The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder: A Novel by Holly McQueen (Anonymous user)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: This book is a lot of fun, just like Shopaholic! Slightly more serious tone but a fast and fun read - highly recommended!

English (201)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (208)
"Don't wait for a sale to buy this hilarious book."
  ICANABIBBELG | Nov 21, 2014 |
Not looking for deep? This book is just good fun, It's pure escapism. I have read the whole series and I am currently reading her latest addition to the series, "Shopaholic to the Stars". The series is great to read before bed. Long day? Read this and have happy thoughts and dreams. ( )
  SofiG | Nov 4, 2014 |
Becky is a financial reporter, but is bored by her job. It also doesn't pay well. But, she loves to shop, so is in over her head when she can't pay the bills and ignores the letters from the bank and from Visa.

I'm not much of a shopper myself, so I wasn't sure what I was going to think of this book. I ended up really enjoying it! I went back and forth on whether or not I liked Becky. I think it was more that I didn't like some (or many!) of the things she did. But, I still really enjoyed the story. Lucky for me, it was also quick to read. I already have the second book in the series, and considering how much I enjoyed it, I will definitely continue on. ( )
  LibraryCin | Oct 26, 2014 |
Although I've enjoyed Sophie Kinsella's standalone books, Remember Me? and Twenties Girl, I've been reluctant to try her Shopaholic series. The thing is, I'm not into shopping, fashion, designers or big name brands, and reading a series about a twenty-something who is, just sounded tedious. But, a Twitter friend recommended the book to me and I respect the recommendations of friends above my own knee jerk reaction.

I chose to listen to Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella as read by Emily Gray (the same narrator as Twenties Girl. It opens with a number of dire but cheerfully polite letters from the bank to Miss Rebecca Bloomwood. Although she's a financial reporter, she's completely clueless with her own personal finances. She's also too embarrassed to admit that she needs help both with her overdraft and with her addiction to shopping.

Rebecca needs to either spend less or make more. Ideally she needs to do both. The book humorously tracks her as she tries different schemes (including dating a billionaire). Nothing works out as planned but Rebecca does grow as a character and there is a happy ending.

It was a fun book, fun enough, that I went on to read the second book, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 9, 2014 |
Light and easy but well-written. ( )
  twerkysandwich | Jul 10, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to my friend and agent, Araminta Whitley.
OK. DON'T PANIC.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440241413, Mass Market Paperback)

If you've ever paid off one credit card with another, thrown out a bill before opening it, or convinced yourself that buying at a two-for-one sale is like making money, then this silly, appealing novel is for you. In the opening pages of Confessions of a Shopaholic, recent college graduate Rebecca Bloomwood is offered a hefty line of credit by a London bank. Within a few months, Sophie Kinsella's heroine has exceeded the limits of this generous offer, and begins furtively to scan her credit-card bills at work, certain that she couldn't have spent the reported sums.

In theory anyway, the world of finance shouldn't be a mystery to Rebecca, since she writes for a magazine called Successful Saving. Struggling with her spendthrift impulses, she tries to heed the advice of an expert and appreciate life's cheaper pleasures: parks, museums, and so forth. Yet her first Saturday at the Victoria and Albert Museum strikes her as a waste. Why? There's not a price tag in sight.

It kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it? You wander round, just looking at things, and it all gets a bit boring after a while. Whereas if they put price tags on, you'd be far more interested. In fact, I think all museums should put prices on their exhibits. You'd look at a silver chalice or a marble statue or the Mona Lisa or whatever, and admire it for its beauty and historical importance and everything--and then you'd reach for the price tag and gasp, "Hey, look how much this one is!" It would really liven things up.
Eventually, Rebecca's uncontrollable shopping and her "imaginative" solutions to her debt attract the attention not only of her bank manager but of handsome Luke Brandon--a multimillionaire PR representative for a finance group frequently covered in Successful Saving. Unlike her opposite number in Bridget Jones's Diary, however, Rebecca actually seems too scattered and spacey to reel in such a successful man. Maybe it's her Denny and George scarf. In any case, Kinsella's debut makes excellent fantasy reading for the long stretches between white sales and appliance specials. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:32 -0400)

Rebecca Bloomwood, a financial journalist at Successful Savings, seeks solace from the boredom, pressures, and difficulties in life with her shopping, a solution that brings her ever closer to financial disaster, until she finally encounters a story that she actually cares about and produces an article that will change her own life and the lives of all those around her.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,486,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible