Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie…

Confessions of a Shopaholic (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Sophie Kinsella

Member:mrstreme
Title:Confessions of a Shopaholic
Authors:Sophie Kinsella
Info:Dell (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Chick Lit

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (2001)

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (rosylibrarian)
    The Secret Shopper's Revenge by Kate Harrison (generalkala)
    The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder: A Novel by Holly McQueen (Anonymous user)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: This book is a lot of fun, just like Shopaholic! Slightly more serious tone but a fast and fun read - highly recommended!

English (233)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (240)
3.5 stars for it's occasional fun and wit, as I couldn't help but laugh at the character's outrageous excuses to go shopping at times. The voiceover for the audiobook was especially great, a perfect choice for the character. The storyline, however, lost its momentum in places ... things just a bit too monotonous. I did find pleasure in the ending and would have enjoyed hearing more about the hunk she ended up with. ( )
  jakohnen | Sep 13, 2018 |
First let me say that the only reason I read this book was because my ultimate goal is to read every book I own. With that said, I did enjoy the read as pure guilty entertainment. The main character is an addicted shopper and pathological liar, so her story can be very humorous at times. I must admit that her lifestyle and actions stressed me out at times, but it makes my wonder if that is my issue or the character's issue. I like how her immediate problems were solved by the end of the story. There are at least a few more books in this series and I am comfortable knowing that I will read them all at some point. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Re-read this for the zillionth time. While some of Kinsella's later books are more nuanced, the throwback appeal of this, the first of her books that I read, is very strong. ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |
This book was hilarious. Funny and lighthearted. I gave it a four because I don't like foul language in books. It didn't have a lot but just enough for me to give it four stars. Good read though. ( )
  songbird72 | Feb 25, 2018 |
This is a good book, the writing is effective, it moved along. BUT, I hate the main character. She's, well, stupid. She seems to lack basic math skills and enough common sense to keep her breathing. I was irritated that this irresponsible woman could flit through the story without significant ill effects and manage to date not one, but two! multimillionaires.
For me, the writer spends too much time creating a character it is nearly impossible to like, then tries to dig her out of the hole. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |

Sophie Kinsellaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raffo, A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my friend and agent, Araminta Whitley.
OK. DON'T PANIC.

MEET BECKY BLOOMWOOD, AN IRRESISTIBLE HEROINE WITH A BIG HEART, BIG DREAMS --- AND JUST ONE LITTLE WEAKNESS ...

Becky Bloomwood has what most twenty-five-year-olds only dream of: a flat in London's trendiest neighborhood, a troupe of glamorous socialite friends, and a closet brimming with the season's must-haves. The only trouble is, she can't actually afford it --- not any of it. Her job writing at Successful Saving magazine not only bores her to tears, it doesn't pay much at all. Still, how can she resist that perfect pair of shoes? Or the divine silk blouse in the window of that ultra-trendy boutique? But lately Becky's been chased by dismal letters from Visa and the Endwich Bank --- letters with large red sums she can't bear to read --- and they're getting ever harder to ignore. She tries cutting back; she even tries making more money. But none of her efforts succeeds. Her only consolation is to buy herself something ... just a little something ...

Finally, a story arises that Becky actually cares about, and her front-page article catalyzes a chain of events that will transform her life --- and the lives of those around her --- forever.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440241413, Mass Market Paperback)

If you've ever paid off one credit card with another, thrown out a bill before opening it, or convinced yourself that buying at a two-for-one sale is like making money, then this silly, appealing novel is for you. In the opening pages of Confessions of a Shopaholic, recent college graduate Rebecca Bloomwood is offered a hefty line of credit by a London bank. Within a few months, Sophie Kinsella's heroine has exceeded the limits of this generous offer, and begins furtively to scan her credit-card bills at work, certain that she couldn't have spent the reported sums.

In theory anyway, the world of finance shouldn't be a mystery to Rebecca, since she writes for a magazine called Successful Saving. Struggling with her spendthrift impulses, she tries to heed the advice of an expert and appreciate life's cheaper pleasures: parks, museums, and so forth. Yet her first Saturday at the Victoria and Albert Museum strikes her as a waste. Why? There's not a price tag in sight.

It kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it? You wander round, just looking at things, and it all gets a bit boring after a while. Whereas if they put price tags on, you'd be far more interested. In fact, I think all museums should put prices on their exhibits. You'd look at a silver chalice or a marble statue or the Mona Lisa or whatever, and admire it for its beauty and historical importance and everything--and then you'd reach for the price tag and gasp, "Hey, look how much this one is!" It would really liven things up.
Eventually, Rebecca's uncontrollable shopping and her "imaginative" solutions to her debt attract the attention not only of her bank manager but of handsome Luke Brandon--a multimillionaire PR representative for a finance group frequently covered in Successful Saving. Unlike her opposite number in Bridget Jones's Diary, however, Rebecca actually seems too scattered and spacey to reel in such a successful man. Maybe it's her Denny and George scarf. In any case, Kinsella's debut makes excellent fantasy reading for the long stretches between white sales and appliance specials. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:52 -0400)

Rebecca Bloomwood, a financial journalist at Successful Savings, seeks solace from the boredom, pressures, and difficulties in life with her shopping, a solution that brings her ever closer to financial disaster, until she finally encounters a story that she actually cares about and produces an article that will change her own life and the lives of all those around her.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,803,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible