confessions of a shopaholic by sophie…

confessions of a shopaholic (original 2001; edition 2005)

by sophie kinsella

Title:confessions of a shopaholic
Authors:sophie kinsella
Info:dial press (2005), Paperback

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (2001)

The Secret Shopper's Revenge by Kate Harrison (generalkala)
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (rosylibrarian)
    Animal Husbandry by Laura Zigman (sturlington)
    The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder: A Novel by Holly McQueen (Anonymous user)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: This book is a lot of fun, just like Shopaholic! Slightly more serious tone but a fast and fun read - highly recommended!

English (212)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (219)
Hilarious and uplifting in spirit... ( )
  rosie_love | Nov 3, 2015 |
What a waste of time reading this book. I could of just slapped Rebecca all the way though this book. Was hopeing it would get better as the book went on but sadly, no. ( )
1 vote s.a.l | Jun 24, 2015 |
I don't even want to comment on this. Yes the book was cute and catchy, but honestly Becky Bloomwood is one of the MOST annoying characters I have ever read. I want to keep reading the books, but if Becky is always like this I'm not sure I'm going to make it. ( )
1 vote momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
Odio el chick-lit . No sé porque me molesto en leerlo . ( )
1 vote LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
This is so great and so funny! Too bad I didn't know about these books before. More mindless entertainment, and British mindless entertainment to boot.
I thought I would just add a word of caution. If you are anything like me, you may begin to go around saying things you don't normally say upon reading this book, like "Do excuse me, but I need to go to the loo", and your family will think you have gone mad. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to my friend and agent, Araminta Whitley.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440241413, Mass Market Paperback)

If you've ever paid off one credit card with another, thrown out a bill before opening it, or convinced yourself that buying at a two-for-one sale is like making money, then this silly, appealing novel is for you. In the opening pages of Confessions of a Shopaholic, recent college graduate Rebecca Bloomwood is offered a hefty line of credit by a London bank. Within a few months, Sophie Kinsella's heroine has exceeded the limits of this generous offer, and begins furtively to scan her credit-card bills at work, certain that she couldn't have spent the reported sums.

In theory anyway, the world of finance shouldn't be a mystery to Rebecca, since she writes for a magazine called Successful Saving. Struggling with her spendthrift impulses, she tries to heed the advice of an expert and appreciate life's cheaper pleasures: parks, museums, and so forth. Yet her first Saturday at the Victoria and Albert Museum strikes her as a waste. Why? There's not a price tag in sight.

It kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it? You wander round, just looking at things, and it all gets a bit boring after a while. Whereas if they put price tags on, you'd be far more interested. In fact, I think all museums should put prices on their exhibits. You'd look at a silver chalice or a marble statue or the Mona Lisa or whatever, and admire it for its beauty and historical importance and everything--and then you'd reach for the price tag and gasp, "Hey, look how much this one is!" It would really liven things up.
Eventually, Rebecca's uncontrollable shopping and her "imaginative" solutions to her debt attract the attention not only of her bank manager but of handsome Luke Brandon--a multimillionaire PR representative for a finance group frequently covered in Successful Saving. Unlike her opposite number in Bridget Jones's Diary, however, Rebecca actually seems too scattered and spacey to reel in such a successful man. Maybe it's her Denny and George scarf. In any case, Kinsella's debut makes excellent fantasy reading for the long stretches between white sales and appliance specials. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:52 -0400)

Rebecca Bloomwood, a financial journalist at Successful Savings, seeks solace from the boredom, pressures, and difficulties in life with her shopping, a solution that brings her ever closer to financial disaster, until she finally encounters a story that she actually cares about and produces an article that will change her own life and the lives of all those around her.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible