confessions of a shopaholic by sophie…

confessions of a shopaholic (original 2001; edition 2005)

by sophie kinsella

Member:Catherine_Dickson
Title:confessions of a shopaholic
Authors:sophie kinsella
Info:dial press (2005), Paperback
Rating:***

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (2001)

The Secret Shopper's Revenge by Kate Harrison (generalkala)
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (rosylibrarian)
    Animal Husbandry by Laura Zigman (sturlington)
    The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder: A Novel by Holly McQueen (Anonymous user)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: This book is a lot of fun, just like Shopaholic! Slightly more serious tone but a fast and fun read - highly recommended!

English (216)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (223)
This book, and Becky Bloomwood, were so delightful. I read the whole thing in one sitting and I cannot wait to pick up the second (which we be as soon as I get home!) ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
A light and easy read. Some content is not suitable for younger ages. Enjoyed the read, overall. Great for passing time on an airplane! :) ( )
  racarpenter94 | Jan 27, 2016 |
My negative preconceptions of books like this have been turned on their ears. Yes, it's 'chick-lit'. It's also intelligent fiction, very well written, with a very believable main character.

Rebecca Bloomwood is a financial journalist, who managed to bluff her way into a high-powered job, without knowing anything much about finance. Moreover, she has a serious addiction to shopping, and no idea about budgeting. She's scatterbrained and highly impulsive, judgemental about appearances, and thinks nothing of embroidering the truth... or even telling outright lies if it serves her purposes.

She's also surprisingly likeable. She's humble, she has a sense of humour, she cares genuinely about her family and friends, and she has a deep sense of integrity; a moral code that runs deeper than her frivolous nature.

I am amazed at how very enjoyable this book was, charting Rebecca's descent into ever-increasing debt, peppered with letters form her bank manager and others. She narrates the story with frequent irony and clever self-revelation; the eventual solution to her problems arises mainly from her own abilities.

There aren't even any detailed love-scenes, and only a few expletives. Highly recommended. Particularly if you think this kind of book is going to be dull and fluffy. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I confess. I found this pretty captivating. The materialism and the whole shopping mentality doesn't resonate with me at all but the book was well-written and so humorous that it kept me enthralled as a book-on-tape during a couple long car rides. I really liked it and now, about 6 months later, I can still remember it! That's longevity for a light, frivolous read. ( )
  cyrenaz | Jan 22, 2016 |
Becky is addicted to shopping. She just can't help herself, no matter how many notices she gets from her bank and credit card companies about the appalling state of her accounts. Sadly, her own efforts to hide just how bad she is at managing her money lead her to deceive just about everyone important to her.

This book was awful. I admit that I am not normally a chick-lit reader, but I was gifted this book in a swap, so I decided to give it a try. I was having a bad day when I picked it up and knew I couldn't focus on anything that required any brain power, so it seemed like a good time to read this book. It did the job I expected, keeping me distracted and vaguely entertained, but I really didn't like Becky or the supporting characters who just enabled her. The writing wasn't bad, but the story was pathetic and the descriptions of further Shopoholic books even worse. I give it two stars only because I do get the appeal of these types of books, they just aren't for me. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
This book is dedicated to my friend and agent, Araminta Whitley.
OK. DON'T PANIC.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440241413, Mass Market Paperback)

If you've ever paid off one credit card with another, thrown out a bill before opening it, or convinced yourself that buying at a two-for-one sale is like making money, then this silly, appealing novel is for you. In the opening pages of Confessions of a Shopaholic, recent college graduate Rebecca Bloomwood is offered a hefty line of credit by a London bank. Within a few months, Sophie Kinsella's heroine has exceeded the limits of this generous offer, and begins furtively to scan her credit-card bills at work, certain that she couldn't have spent the reported sums.

In theory anyway, the world of finance shouldn't be a mystery to Rebecca, since she writes for a magazine called Successful Saving. Struggling with her spendthrift impulses, she tries to heed the advice of an expert and appreciate life's cheaper pleasures: parks, museums, and so forth. Yet her first Saturday at the Victoria and Albert Museum strikes her as a waste. Why? There's not a price tag in sight.

It kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it? You wander round, just looking at things, and it all gets a bit boring after a while. Whereas if they put price tags on, you'd be far more interested. In fact, I think all museums should put prices on their exhibits. You'd look at a silver chalice or a marble statue or the Mona Lisa or whatever, and admire it for its beauty and historical importance and everything--and then you'd reach for the price tag and gasp, "Hey, look how much this one is!" It would really liven things up.
Eventually, Rebecca's uncontrollable shopping and her "imaginative" solutions to her debt attract the attention not only of her bank manager but of handsome Luke Brandon--a multimillionaire PR representative for a finance group frequently covered in Successful Saving. Unlike her opposite number in Bridget Jones's Diary, however, Rebecca actually seems too scattered and spacey to reel in such a successful man. Maybe it's her Denny and George scarf. In any case, Kinsella's debut makes excellent fantasy reading for the long stretches between white sales and appliance specials. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:52 -0400)

Rebecca Bloomwood, a financial journalist at Successful Savings, seeks solace from the boredom, pressures, and difficulties in life with her shopping, a solution that brings her ever closer to financial disaster, until she finally encounters a story that she actually cares about and produces an article that will change her own life and the lives of all those around her.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,082,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible