confessions of a shopaholic by sophie…

confessions of a shopaholic (original 2001; edition 2005)

by sophie kinsella

Member:Catherine_Dickson
Title:confessions of a shopaholic
Authors:sophie kinsella
Info:dial press (2005), Paperback
Rating:***

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (2001)

The Secret Shopper's Revenge by Kate Harrison (generalkala)
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (rosylibrarian)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: This book is a lot of fun, just like Shopaholic! Slightly more serious tone but a fast and fun read - highly recommended!
    The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder: A Novel by Holly McQueen (Anonymous user)

English (224)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (231)
A fun light read. I rather enjoyed it. It took a while to get interesting but once it did I couldn't put it down. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
2.5/5

The main character is a crazy person with a child like mentality, whose thoughts are somehow amusing (for the most part) to read. I think Kinsella does a great job of understanding what a frivolous novel this is, not taking it too seriously and churning out a good page turner. As with any romcom, the character's transformation from pathetic to carefree and happy occurs over the span of a few days with an epiphany, a stroke of good luck and a rich handsome man. Overall, a fine beach or weekend read, certainly something to get you out of a reading rut if you're stuck.

I would say a solid 2.5 stars, rounded up here because good reads doesn't allow half stars ( )
  meowism | May 17, 2016 |
I was working on a novel and had to kill off a character in a gruesome scene. Bereft and grieving, I needed a fun book to read to take my mind off of what I had done. Whenever I'm in that kind of fun, I read Sophie Kinsella, but I have never read the Shopaholic series before. I was uncomfortable reading anything about someone addicted to shopping. Yet she won me over, despite my trepidation. Thanks, Sophie, for cheering me up! ( )
  NadineFeldman | Mar 21, 2016 |
Adorable. :-) The next one, please! ( )
  aoestherauthor | Mar 15, 2016 |
I understood how she felt, the author described the shopping frenzy so well, but I couldn't like Rebecca Bloomwood! And Luke seems like an asshole throughout the book. I prefer the movie actually!! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
This book is dedicated to my friend and agent, Araminta Whitley.
OK. DON'T PANIC.

MEET BECKY BLOOMWOOD, AN IRRESISTIBLE HEROINE WITH A BIG HEART, BIG DREAMS --- AND JUST ONE LITTLE WEAKNESS ...

Becky Bloomwood has what most twenty-five-year-olds only dream of: a flat in London's trendiest neighborhood, a troupe of glamorous socialite friends, and a closet brimming with the season's must-haves. The only trouble is, she can't actually afford it --- not any of it. Her job writing at Successful Saving magazine not only bores her to tears, it doesn't pay much at all. Still, how can she resist that perfect pair of shoes? Or the divine silk blouse in the window of that ultra-trendy boutique? But lately Becky's been chased by dismal letters from Visa and the Endwich Bank --- letters with large red sums she can't bear to read --- and they're getting ever harder to ignore. She tries cutting back; she even tries making more money. But none of her efforts succeeds. Her only consolation is to buy herself something ... just a little something ...

Finally, a story arises that Becky actually cares about, and her front-page article catalyzes a chain of events that will transform her life --- and the lives of those around her --- forever.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440241413, Mass Market Paperback)

If you've ever paid off one credit card with another, thrown out a bill before opening it, or convinced yourself that buying at a two-for-one sale is like making money, then this silly, appealing novel is for you. In the opening pages of Confessions of a Shopaholic, recent college graduate Rebecca Bloomwood is offered a hefty line of credit by a London bank. Within a few months, Sophie Kinsella's heroine has exceeded the limits of this generous offer, and begins furtively to scan her credit-card bills at work, certain that she couldn't have spent the reported sums.

In theory anyway, the world of finance shouldn't be a mystery to Rebecca, since she writes for a magazine called Successful Saving. Struggling with her spendthrift impulses, she tries to heed the advice of an expert and appreciate life's cheaper pleasures: parks, museums, and so forth. Yet her first Saturday at the Victoria and Albert Museum strikes her as a waste. Why? There's not a price tag in sight.

It kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it? You wander round, just looking at things, and it all gets a bit boring after a while. Whereas if they put price tags on, you'd be far more interested. In fact, I think all museums should put prices on their exhibits. You'd look at a silver chalice or a marble statue or the Mona Lisa or whatever, and admire it for its beauty and historical importance and everything--and then you'd reach for the price tag and gasp, "Hey, look how much this one is!" It would really liven things up.
Eventually, Rebecca's uncontrollable shopping and her "imaginative" solutions to her debt attract the attention not only of her bank manager but of handsome Luke Brandon--a multimillionaire PR representative for a finance group frequently covered in Successful Saving. Unlike her opposite number in Bridget Jones's Diary, however, Rebecca actually seems too scattered and spacey to reel in such a successful man. Maybe it's her Denny and George scarf. In any case, Kinsella's debut makes excellent fantasy reading for the long stretches between white sales and appliance specials. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:52 -0400)

Rebecca Bloomwood, a financial journalist at Successful Savings, seeks solace from the boredom, pressures, and difficulties in life with her shopping, a solution that brings her ever closer to financial disaster, until she finally encounters a story that she actually cares about and produces an article that will change her own life and the lives of all those around her.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,158,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible