The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond…

The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself (edition 2013)

by Michael A. Singer (Author)

Member:UWBCLibrary
Title:The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
Authors:Michael A. Singer (Author)
Info:New Harbinger Publications (2013), Edition: Gift Edition w/ Ribbon Marker, 232 pages

The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself by Michael A. Singer

A friend of mine recommended this book to help me with some of the parts of my past that I have been trying to move beyond. I am not the type of person who actively seeks help with anything, so I typically avoid books that try and help you in that way or push you to find motivation in what they are saying, because those books simply don't hit me where I need them to. This one did. I have started my healing process and will pass on the recommendation of this book to anyone who needs to to the same. ( )
  mirrani | Jun 24, 2017 |
FINALLY I've finished this book! It's the longest I've EVER taken in my life to finish a 180-page book. And truth be told, after finishing it, I still think the price of it (RM42) is a bit too much. That's saying something, as I managed to find a website selling it at the lowest; other sites were selling it at about RM80 for paperback.
It feels like a great weight off my shoulder, finishing this book. It has been dragging on because most times I never felt pulled enough to pick it up and finish it; yet I wanted to get it over and done with as soon as I could, so I would be able to finally pick up another book. (I have this thing where I have to finish a book I started before going on to the next one)
I first got to know about this book through an Oprah video where she interviewed the author. Back then, the topic they were discussing intrigued me, and I read an excerpt of it on the Oprah Book Club website, and it sounded interesting too.
I admit I was disappointed though. Don't get me wrong, there were some good bits here and there that I've taken to practicing, but what I found especially annoying was Singer's tendency at starting sentences with "If you were wise, you would...", "People who are wise would/would not do so-and-so" and "It's really that simple". I dunno about other readers, but those words made me feel like I was stupid. After all, he mentioned that 'if we were wise' we would do it. And we as readers obviously haven't, because well, we bought his book to learn how, didn't we? And when he mentioned that it was 'really that simple', it somehow felt like a bit of a mockery to me.
See, Singer's methods require constant repetition of practice. It requires concentration and dedication to follow through it at all times. Sure, when you've become used to it, it feels routine, but TO LEARN TO PRACTICE IT takes time. So when I read lines like that, it makes me feel as if I'm dumb for not finding it as 'easy' as he claims it to be.
Singer also, I noticed, had the tendency to repeat his points. He would repeat a point several times over, just changing the sentence structures (active-passive, passive-active etc). While repetation is good in some ways to get it in your head, it gets frustrating when you have to read the same points 2-3 times over.
While I admit that certain of Singer's good points were, well, good, I wouldn't have paid that much for the book. Initially I hadn't minded as much because I thought it would be a very good book, seeing as it was so expensive everywhere else.
But eh.. I guess I don't regret the knowledge I got from this book (knowledge is never bad, no?) . Just.. not much my cup of tea. ( )
1 vote KrystleLow | Oct 27, 2016 |
4 stars ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Awful, No science, no philosophy, there is nothing here. Anyone can write a book like this!! ( )
  MohammedMamdouhKamel | May 27, 2016 |
The Untethered Soul is a unique book and it obviously means a lot to a whole lot of people because I've never seen a book with a higher rating on Goodreads than this one. Yet I had some problems with it. For that, I'm a little embarrassed, to be honest. Nonetheless, I did.

First of all, I don't normally pick up too many spiritual books to read. I bought this one on the recommendation of a relative. And I found it intriguing. Singer has some interesting concepts. He wants people to stop suffering, to be free, to find their consciousness, to become self aware, to attain true enlightenment. In that regard, it's largely an Eastern religious book, although Singer tries to "Westernize" it by mentioning Jesus (and other spiritual leaders) throughout the book. He begins with the voice in your head that is always talking to you, your own, always second guessing you, offering you advice, often wrong, etc. He writes that if the person behind this voice were on the sofa beside you, you would kick him out in a heartbeat, thinking him crazy. Not a bad point. He writes of the "monkey man," the person inside your head who makes your life miserable and how you can go about silencing him and attaining your true freedom. Yet at the same time, his instructions for doing this seem to me -- but apparently not to others -- to be rather vague, as though the reader already knows some of the steps for going about this. For instance, if your heart is closed, you'll be hurt by things. You need to open your heart to attain true happiness. Um, okay. How exactly do you "open your heart?" Cause I don't know how. I don't think it's as easy as just that.

The book, while small and apparently easy to understand for many, seems fairly heavy to me. Perhaps that's because I'm stupid, although I've read an awful lot of philosophy over the years, but there's an awful lot of advice here, some of it quite good when you can follow it. And if I were to follow it, I'd have to read this book some five or six times to just be able to even try to follow all of the advice he gives. I can't do it with one reading. I tried out some of the things in the early chapters and it's quite difficult.

In the later chapters, he starts to get pretty redundant. Actually, he is pretty much throughout the entire book, but it becomes more noticeable in the later chapters. He also starts talking more about God, which is the subject of his last chapter. I actually got something out of this, although I'm not sure I agree with everything he asserts.

Singer believes one can become totally free and totally happy, but in order to do so, one has to seemingly completely clear oneself of any distractions and thoughts of virtually anything, becoming a nonhuman organism (in my words). That doesn't appeal to me. I think that's a weakness of both the book and his approach.

The Untethered Soul is an ambitious book and parts of it are quite good, but I think some of it's pretty vague, some of it's pretty damn difficult to actually accomplish, some of it's boringly redundant, and it might be a little overrated by some. I'm glad I read it and I might reread it again at some point, but it's not the greatest book ever written. Nonetheless, recommended. ( )
1 vote scottcholstad | Oct 9, 2015 |
To the Masters
In case you haven't noticed, you have a mental dialog going on inside your head that never stops.

Presents advice on ways to free oneself from habitual thoughts, emotions, and energy patterns that limit one's consciousness.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,935,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible