Eleanor (Picture Puffins) by Barbara Cooney

Eleanor (Picture Puffins) (edition 1999)

by Barbara Cooney

Member:Hana.DeLuca
Title:Eleanor (Picture Puffins)
Authors:Barbara Cooney
Info:Puffin (1999), Edition: 1st Scholastic, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Biography, Eleanor Roosevelt, poverty, death, facing the odds, bravery, social class, orphan, boarding school student, inspiration, first lady, afterword

Eleanor by Barbara Cooney

Summary:
This book tells a story about Eleanor Roosevelt as a child to her teens. We learn that Eleanor was a self-conscious, lonely, and shy girl. She was born into a wealthy family but she was rejected by her mother because of her plain look. She was sent off to live with her granmother after her parents death where she was still so lonely and it wasn't until she was sent to boarding school for three years that she blossomed. After boarding school, she changed dramatically and she became a new confident woman. She led a great life and ended being among the greatest of First Ladies.

Personal Reaction:
I didn't know very much about Eleanor Roosevelt before reading it, so it was interesting to learn more about her. The illustrations were pretty, and the story was intriguing. I really liked reading about how she went from a little girl with low self-esteem to a woman with confidence. This book is good to read to remind children that they can be something, even if no one around them thinks that they can be.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.) Have students pick a first lady and learn about them and share with the class about their chosen first lady.

2.) Have students make a board of their strenghts and how they can use that in their future. I would also have them include what they would like to be when they grow up and how they plan to achieve that. ( )
  Jasmine.Afable | Nov 30, 2016 |
Summary of Book:
Eleanor is a book about a young Eleanor Roosevelt. In this book it shows and talks about how even though Eleanor came from a wealthy and higher class family, she did not have a happy childhood and grew up to be lonely and shy due to the death of her parents and sibling. Eventually the book talks about how Eleanor excelled in school and that was she dedicated most of her time to due to her family situation. Ultimately, she turned out to be an amazing woman, but this book shows that even some of the most beloved people in the nation, struggle with something in their lifetime.

Personal Reaction:
This book is very interesting! I like how this book shows the life of a young Eleanor Roosevelt. I like how this book shows that even though Eleanor came from a very wealthy and well-off family, she still did not have a very good childhood due to the constant loneliness of her family. I think this can help any child to relate to Eleanor's situation. I think children can relate to Eleanor on many different levels because of her up bringing and how she felt growing up.

Classroom Extension:
For my classroom extension for this book, I would have my students make a descriptive charactercher of Eleanor Roosevelt as a child and then would do the same thing as Eleanor Roosevelt as an adult. We would then do a compare and contrast of Eleanor Roosevelt as a child and as an adult. ( )
  thejennalane | Nov 25, 2016 |
This biography is more of a story about little Eleanor rather than the great deeds this woman has done as a First Lady and Ambassador. Regardless of the content of the book, I feel it connects to readers well. We want to see Eleanor come out of her shell, we want her life to get better - and of course to see Teddy's wondrous grin in the illustrations. ( )
  rparks | Nov 9, 2016 |
I didn't realize this was biography and not fiction when I pulled it off the shelf. The illustrations are magnificent and I loved the way the story was told. There is a lot there for adults and not only children. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
Grades: K-3
Theme: The spirit and vibrance of youth.
  creykellums | Apr 6, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140555838, Paperback)

Award-winning author Cooney presents a well-researched and poignant storybook biography of Eleanor Roosevelt's childhood. The wartime First Lady of the New Deal, who became one of the most beloved Americans for her empathy with the downtrodden, was famously unglamorous and plain in looks, even as a child. Her beautiful and awful mother humiliated the little girl, calling her Granny, "because she is so funny and old-fashioned looking." Orphaned at nine the girl eventually found her way to confidence, helped initially by a boarding-school headmistress. The book mentions only briefly Roosevelt's later achievements, so a parent will have to supply a little context for this tale of an ugly duckling who turns into, not a swan, but a fulfilled and happy duck.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:45 -0400)

Presents the childhood of Eleanor Roosevelt, who married a president of the United States and became known as a great humanitarian.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,628,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible