Alibi in High Heels by Gemma Halliday

Alibi in High Heels

by Gemma Halliday

More fun, confusion, and outright stupidity. The mystery aspect is well done and has a lot of twists. The reality aspect is wanting, but this is FICTION! The sleuthing holds the reader's interest, and the romance angle is positively twisted. Mrs. R. and Maddie's mother make me nuts, and not in a good way. But altogether, I think it was great! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Sep 16, 2016 |
This is the fourth book in Gemma Halliday's series featuring shoe designer Maddie Springer. In this mystery, Maddie receives a call from a top designer inviting her to show her line of shoes in the Paris Fashion Week Show. She is overwhelmed with joy at the possibilities that all of the exposure will do for her career. Everything is turning out great until one of the models is found murdered with a stiletto heel poking out of her jugular. Maddie is shocked by the familiar murder scene and knows someone is trying to set her up. When all of her shoes for the fashion show are taken away into evidence, Maddie has had enough. She must find out who this killer is before they ruin her life. Maddie involves her best friend and Felix Dunn, a tabloid reporter, in her various escapades. Maddie's boyfriend, homicide detective Jack Ramirez, rushes to Paris and arrives just in time to bail her out of jail for breaking-and-entering with Felix.

I didn't like either Maddie or Jack. I found her behavior to be immature and downright stupid at times. She kept introducing herself as the Couture Killer, even to the police. What idiot would do that? I often read books outside my particular favorites to complete challenges as I did in his case. I can't say I would read another of these in the future. It's clear that this series appeals to many readers and I'm sure they really enjoy the humor and romance. In many ways it reminded me of the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich, but unfortunately, it didn't work for me. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Ten Fun Facts from the Book:

1. Picture Mrs. Rosenblatt in her mumu doing the cancan.
2. Maddie gets her detective skills from Law and Order and mimicks Charlie’s Angels once again.
3. Maddie gets banned from wearing high heels.
4. When Maddie’s mom helps Mrs. Rosenblatt’s with her image, drag queen comes to mind.
5. We visit Paris, London, and Milan. What a road trip.
6. Maddie does not speak Italian which tends to be a problem when she needs to call the police.
7. Mrs. Rosenblatt’s new vehicle is a yellow sports car.
8. Confessing to being a killer is not a good idea.
9. Gucci’s vs. Scissors. Which one wins?
10. A huge surprise at the end of the book.

Again, I adored this book in the series. There is no staleness with the story and plot. The characters are still fun and invigorating. Of course, we are introduced to new characters who are just as connectable. (If that’s a word?) Can’t wait to see what happens in the next book. ( )
  nsjlh | May 21, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0843958359, Mass Market Paperback)

Baguettes, bodies, and haute couture galore! Shoe designer turned amateur sleuth Maddie Springer is at it again--this time in fabulously fashionable Paris.

When Europe's designer du jour, Jean Luc LeCroix, invites Maddie to show her creations at Paris Fashion Week, Maddie's sure she's died and gone to heaven. That is, until Jean Luc's top model is found dead on the runway, stabbed with a familiar stiletto heel. Sure someone is trying to frame her, Maddie enlists the help of her friends, including the sexy Detective Jack Ramirez, to uncover a daring jewel heist, a devious blackmailer, and even a few skeletons lurking in the closets of those closest to her.

But as the evidence mounts, Maddie becomes the prime suspect and Ramirez is stuck between a badge and a cute blonde with a tendency for trouble. With her love life on the rocks and a murderer on the loose, if Maddie doesn't uncover the real killer soon, she might be saying her final adieu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:44 -0400)

When someone frames shoe designer Maddie Springer for the death of a model while she is in Paris for Fashion Week, the amateur sleuth enlists the help of sexy cop Jack Ramirez to discover who the true murderer is.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,366,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible