Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Men Without Women by Ernest Hemingway

Men Without Women (1927)

by Ernest Hemingway

English (14)  Hindi (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (17)
I read this collection of 14 short stories in part to compare it to Haruki Murakami's recent collection that borrowed the title. These are indeed primarily stories of men without women. I can see even a few bits to compare, probably coincidental, such as the story of the boxer in '50 Grand' who is off training and misses his wife every day and writes her letters. I enjoyed reading this, but this is not the best Hemingway and some of the stories are just little slips of things that didn't grab me. Still, it is Hemingway. There are enough good ones, thought provoking vignettes, in here to put this at the high end of an OK read so I'm giving this 3 1/2 stars.

Sometimes when I read Hem's stories I feel like a little kid again listening to my grandpa tell stories. ( )
  RBeffa | Nov 30, 2017 |
I've never been a fan of short stories, but Hemingway is surely the master. "Fifty Grand" is my favourite. I was reading it while walking around. I couldn't put it down. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
I had to struggle through the book. It was the first time I read something of Hemingway and maybe my expectations were too high. I just pushed through just to finish the book, because I hate to stop in the middle of a book, even though these are short stories. But I thought it was nice that in the little history he comes back to the first story. Now I'm glad the book is finished and that I never have to read it again. ( )
  Rosiers.Nicole | Sep 25, 2014 |
I should start by saying I'm generally not a fan of Hemingway. Despite my greatest efforts -- and they have been great, indeed -- he's just not my favorite.

That being said:

This compilation was generally exactly what I expected. I wasn't a huge fan of the first story, simply because the subject matter was not one I cared much for, and it was a little on the lengthy side. It was well-written, though, and I got something out of it (whether it's what Hemingway intended or not), so I still consider it a success. Others of the stories in this book I liked very much -- particularly "Canary for One."

Broadly speaking, it really comes down to Hemingway's subject matter for me. He's a wonderful writer, but his content frequently makes me suicidal. Sorry, too soon. is just not my cup of tea.

I would recommend this collection to just about anyone looking for a (quasi) short read, just not before a wedding or birthday party. ...or even a funeral, really.

4 stars. ( )
  frozenplums | Jan 3, 2014 |
Beautifully and intelligently written. Emotionally gripping. ( )
  malrubius | Apr 2, 2013 |

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggink, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
Evan Shipman
Manuel Garcia climbed the stairs to Don Miguel Retana's office.
(THE UNDEFEATED).

CLASSIC SHORT STORIES FROM THE MASTER OF AMERICAN FICTION

First published in 1927, Men Without Women represents some of Hemingway's most important and compelling early writing. In these fourteen stories, Hemingway begins to examine the themes that would occupy his later works: the casualties of war, the often uneasy relationship between men and women, sport and sportsmanship. In "Banal Story," Hemingway offers a lasting tribute to the famed matador Maera. "In Another Country" tells of an Italian major recovering from war wounds as he mourns the untimely death of his wife. "The Killers" is the hard-edged story about two Chicago gunmen and their potential victim. Nick Adams makes an appearance in "Ten Indians," in which he is presumably betrayed by his Indian girlfriend, Prudence. And "Hills Like White Elephants" is a young couple's subtle, heartwrenching discussion of abortion. Pared down, gritty, and subtly expressive, these stories show the young Hemingway emerging as America's finest short story writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:07 -0400)

A collection of 14 short stories reveals Hemingway's impressions of life and mankind

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,478,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible