Hey, Little Ant by Phillip M. Hoose

Hey, Little Ant

by Phillip M. Hoose

One of my favorite books!
Story of a ANT and it's significance in our environment. All living things play a role in our ecosystem and ants as tiny as they be, still have a role in our environment. But, in the story the ant and a boy that believes it is "entitled" to step on the ant for no good purpose. Although this book is in Spanish does not take away from the literary elements presented (rhythm, rhyme) and having both copies in Spanish English would only be a plus for any class or home reader.
The story within the story is also good. Do we pick on those that are smaller? How do we see ourselves and significance others place on us is important.
Image, environment, systems, forshadowing, predicting ( )
  Adrian.Gaytan | Feb 11, 2015 |
The book shows that whether being tiny or large there are reasons why a person should not pick on another because everyone has feelings and a purpose in life. It shows a message to the students how picking on each other looks like and why it is not nice.

Grade level: K-3
  biancagrhm | Feb 1, 2015 |
I loved this book personally. I loved the rhyming throughout the whole story. It made the story more fun and delightful to read. The first couple lines went:
hey, little ant down in the crack, can you hear me? Can you talk back? See my shoe, can you see that? Well, now it's gonna squish you flat!"
Writing with rhymes keeps the reader interested and it gives the story a little more spunk. The illustrations were also very well fitted to the story and it enhanced the story by creating the image of the boy and the little ant. It was very appropriate for the mood. This book also pushes readers to think about tough situations. In the book, the boy comes to a dilemma of whether or not he should squish the little ant because all his friends squish them. "But all my friends squish ants each day, squishing ants is a game we play. They're all looking at me--they're listening too. They all say I should squish you".
This situation puts in the boy in a difficult position and the book actually creates a page if the reader (us) thinks if the ant should get squished. "Should the ant get squished? Should the ant go free?" The whole purpose of this story was to test the morals of young children. Is it right to kill innocent, harmless animals? Even though if everyone does it, should you be doing it? It makes the reader question some of their actions but does this in a very subtle way. This is a very enjoyable book. ( )
  bigkristin | Sep 25, 2014 |
Summary:This book is about a little boy who wants to squish ants. The ant talks to the child and tells him not to squash him that he has feelings just like the boy. And that they both have families to take care of and other people that care about him. The boy doesn't squash the ant in turn the ant asks the boy what he would do if he was as small as an ant.

Reaction: The rhyming in the story is very catchy and made ma laugh as I was reading it. I like the plot of the story it goes to show that we are all alike in some way shape or form.

Extentions:
This book could be used to teach a science lesson about ants and they environments.
Possibly a lesson on peer pressure the child in the book was killing ants because his friends were.
A lesson on what makes up all types of families even though the child is human he still has a family and the ant as well has a family.
  VictoriaHernandez | Mar 27, 2014 |
Summary: This sing-along story is a story about a boy who thinks he should step on this little, tiny ant because he believes since the ant is so tiny, nobody would miss it. But the ant talks back and pleads for the boy to refrain from stepping on him. At the end, the decision whether or not the boy will step on him is up for you to decide.

Personal Reaction: I thought this story was kind of sad because I felt bad for the ant, he just wanted to live. I really liked the sing-along tune though!

Classroom Extensions: 1. The students can discuss why even the small things matter. I could describe different instances where there would be no life without the tiny things. This could easily turn into a science lesson.
2. The students could create a comparison chart of two totally different things and find the similarities between the two to show that even big and small things have similarities. ( )
  KendraGayle | Mar 9, 2014 |

Hey, Little Ant is a story that uses rhymes. It is about a boy sees an ant and wants to smoosh it. However, the ant tries to persaude the boy out of hurting him by telling him how the ant lives a life similar to the boys. Does the boy let the ant go or does the ant get smooshed? Read and find out!

A story about an ant

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:00 -0400)

A song in which an ant pleads with the kid who is tempted to squish it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,662,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible