Hey, Little Ant by Phillip M. Hoose

Hey, Little Ant

by Phillip M. Hoose

Genre: Fantasy
Reading level: K-3
Summary: A little boy finds an ant on the sidewalk; he decides that he is going to squish it until the ant speaks up for itself. The ant and the Boy debate on why the boy shouldn’t kill the ant because the boy and the ant are actually a lot alike. The boy thinks he should squish the ant because the ant is tiny. The ending is left open for the reader to decide whether or not the boy should squish the ant.
Commentary: This book opens up the world of debating. The boy and ant get into one, trying to figure out if the boy should squish the ant or not. It’s a fun book that shows that even a little ant has a role to fill and is important to someone.
Reader Response: The students will finish the story! They will personally decide whether the ant should be squished or not. The students will write a few sentences on why or why not, then draw a picture on whichever they decided.
  rdg301library | Mar 17, 2015 |
One of my favorite books!
Story of a ANT and it's significance in our environment. All living things play a role in our ecosystem and ants as tiny as they be, still have a role in our environment. But, in the story the ant and a boy that believes it is "entitled" to step on the ant for no good purpose. Although this book is in Spanish does not take away from the literary elements presented (rhythm, rhyme) and having both copies in Spanish English would only be a plus for any class or home reader.
The story within the story is also good. Do we pick on those that are smaller? How do we see ourselves and significance others place on us is important.
Image, environment, systems, forshadowing, predicting ( )
  Adrian.Gaytan | Feb 11, 2015 |
The book shows that whether being tiny or large there are reasons why a person should not pick on another because everyone has feelings and a purpose in life. It shows a message to the students how picking on each other looks like and why it is not nice.

Grade level: K-3
  biancagrhm | Feb 1, 2015 |
I loved this book personally. I loved the rhyming throughout the whole story. It made the story more fun and delightful to read. The first couple lines went:
hey, little ant down in the crack, can you hear me? Can you talk back? See my shoe, can you see that? Well, now it's gonna squish you flat!"
Writing with rhymes keeps the reader interested and it gives the story a little more spunk. The illustrations were also very well fitted to the story and it enhanced the story by creating the image of the boy and the little ant. It was very appropriate for the mood. This book also pushes readers to think about tough situations. In the book, the boy comes to a dilemma of whether or not he should squish the little ant because all his friends squish them. "But all my friends squish ants each day, squishing ants is a game we play. They're all looking at me--they're listening too. They all say I should squish you".
This situation puts in the boy in a difficult position and the book actually creates a page if the reader (us) thinks if the ant should get squished. "Should the ant get squished? Should the ant go free?" The whole purpose of this story was to test the morals of young children. Is it right to kill innocent, harmless animals? Even though if everyone does it, should you be doing it? It makes the reader question some of their actions but does this in a very subtle way. This is a very enjoyable book. ( )
  bigkristin | Sep 25, 2014 |
Summary:This book is about a little boy who wants to squish ants. The ant talks to the child and tells him not to squash him that he has feelings just like the boy. And that they both have families to take care of and other people that care about him. The boy doesn't squash the ant in turn the ant asks the boy what he would do if he was as small as an ant.

Reaction: The rhyming in the story is very catchy and made ma laugh as I was reading it. I like the plot of the story it goes to show that we are all alike in some way shape or form.

Extentions:
This book could be used to teach a science lesson about ants and they environments.
Possibly a lesson on peer pressure the child in the book was killing ants because his friends were.
A lesson on what makes up all types of families even though the child is human he still has a family and the ant as well has a family.
  VictoriaHernandez | Mar 27, 2014 |

Hey, Little Ant is a story that uses rhymes. It is about a boy sees an ant and wants to smoosh it. However, the ant tries to persaude the boy out of hurting him by telling him how the ant lives a life similar to the boys. Does the boy let the ant go or does the ant get smooshed? Read and find out!

A story about an ant

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:00 -0400)

A song in which an ant pleads with the kid who is tempted to squish it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,154,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible