Hey, Little Ant by Phillip M. Hoose

Hey, Little Ant

by Phillip M. Hoose

I loved this book personally. I loved the rhyming throughout the whole story. It made the story more fun and delightful to read. The first couple lines went:
hey, little ant down in the crack, can you hear me? Can you talk back? See my shoe, can you see that? Well, now it's gonna squish you flat!"
Writing with rhymes keeps the reader interested and it gives the story a little more spunk. The illustrations were also very well fitted to the story and it enhanced the story by creating the image of the boy and the little ant. It was very appropriate for the mood. This book also pushes readers to think about tough situations. In the book, the boy comes to a dilemma of whether or not he should squish the little ant because all his friends squish them. "But all my friends squish ants each day, squishing ants is a game we play. They're all looking at me--they're listening too. They all say I should squish you".
This situation puts in the boy in a difficult position and the book actually creates a page if the reader (us) thinks if the ant should get squished. "Should the ant get squished? Should the ant go free?" The whole purpose of this story was to test the morals of young children. Is it right to kill innocent, harmless animals? Even though if everyone does it, should you be doing it? It makes the reader question some of their actions but does this in a very subtle way. This is a very enjoyable book. ( )
  bigkristin | Sep 25, 2014 |
Summary:This book is about a little boy who wants to squish ants. The ant talks to the child and tells him not to squash him that he has feelings just like the boy. And that they both have families to take care of and other people that care about him. The boy doesn't squash the ant in turn the ant asks the boy what he would do if he was as small as an ant.

Reaction: The rhyming in the story is very catchy and made ma laugh as I was reading it. I like the plot of the story it goes to show that we are all alike in some way shape or form.

Extentions:
This book could be used to teach a science lesson about ants and they environments.
Possibly a lesson on peer pressure the child in the book was killing ants because his friends were.
A lesson on what makes up all types of families even though the child is human he still has a family and the ant as well has a family.
  VictoriaHernandez | Mar 27, 2014 |
Summary: This sing-along story is a story about a boy who thinks he should step on this little, tiny ant because he believes since the ant is so tiny, nobody would miss it. But the ant talks back and pleads for the boy to refrain from stepping on him. At the end, the decision whether or not the boy will step on him is up for you to decide.

Personal Reaction: I thought this story was kind of sad because I felt bad for the ant, he just wanted to live. I really liked the sing-along tune though!

Classroom Extensions: 1. The students can discuss why even the small things matter. I could describe different instances where there would be no life without the tiny things. This could easily turn into a science lesson.
2. The students could create a comparison chart of two totally different things and find the similarities between the two to show that even big and small things have similarities. ( )
  KendraGayle | Mar 9, 2014 |
Summary

The kid comes across an ant and he feels like he should squish it. The ant tries to convince the kid not to squish him and that just because everyone else he knows squishes ants does not mean he has to squish ants.

Personal Reaction

I think this book is a good book to show students that you do not always have to do what everyone else does. It is a way to show students that if they feel like what they are doing is wrong then they should not do it even if everyone else is.

Classroom Extension Ideas

1. Have the students learn about ants and then present their findings to the class.

2. The students can do a picture walk and make up their own story as they look at the pictures.

3. The students can write down what they learned from the story.
  JessShaffer | Oct 27, 2013 |
Summary:
A boy and an ant argue over what is right and wrong, either squishy the "pesty" ant or letting him live and go back to his family, obviously the boy and the ant don't see eye to eye. It's a fun book written in a rhyme sequence which makes it an enjoyable read.

Personal reaction:
I enjoyed this book, it made me think about when I was younger and I'd try to avoid stepping on ants at any cost and would get so mad if I saw some else step on them.

Class extension:
Since the end of the book is an open ending it leaves a good opportunity to have a discussion with your students on what the right and wrong thing to do would be and why.

Bring in a keyboard and get the whole class to sing the story! ( )
  stephanie.west | Oct 25, 2013 |

Hey, Little Ant is a story that uses rhymes. It is about a boy sees an ant and wants to smoosh it. However, the ant tries to persaude the boy out of hurting him by telling him how the ant lives a life similar to the boys. Does the boy let the ant go or does the ant get smooshed? Read and find out!

A story about an ant

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:00 -0400)

A song in which an ant pleads with the kid who is tempted to squish it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible