Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded…

Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces… (edition 2009)

by Dan Ariely

Member:rachael_ariella
Title:Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions
Authors:Dan Ariely
Info:Harper (2009), Edition: Rev Exp, Roughcut, 400 pages

Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely

Recently added byliteraryjoe, private library, LapsusCalami, ABVR, Kevin_Parekh, atmarsden95, abbeyhar, wordwidget

English (28)  French (1)  All languages (29)
A book that makes some interesting observations about the bad choices people (repeatedly) make. Maybe because much of the material is familiar to me, but I felt like this certainly could have been condensed, although I certainly took away a few interesting tidbits. Recommended to me by a professor. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
About the cognitive errors of our lives.
  Candl | Jun 6, 2013 |
This was a fascinating book along the lines of Freakonomics and a very easy read. I would highly recommend it--it makes you stop and think about why you do some of the things you do. Who knew that (behavioral) economics could be so interesting?
  walterqchocobo | Apr 8, 2013 |
Another sign that times are changing is “Predictably Irrational,” a book that both exemplifies and explains this shift in the cultural winds.

Dan Arielyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mentors, colleagues, and students -- who make research exciting
I have been told by many people that I have an unusual way of looking at the world.
There is also a revised and expanded edition. Please do not combine.

Why do our headaches persist after taking a one-cent aspirin but disappear when we take a 50-cent aspirin?.

Why does recalling the Ten Commandments reduce our tendency to lie, even when we couldn't possibly be caught?.

Why do we splurge on a lavish meal but cut coupons to save twenty-five cents on a can of soup?.

Why do we go back for second helpings at the unlimited buffet, even when our stomachs are already full?.

And how did we ever start spending $4.15 on a cup of coffee when, just a few years ago, we used to pay less than a dollar?.

When it comes to making decisions in our lives, we think we're in control. We think we're making smart, rational choices. But are we?.

In a series of illuminating, often surprising experiments, MIT behavioral economist Dan Ariely refutes the common assumption that we behave in fundamentally rational ways. Blending everyday experience with groundbreaking research, Ariely explains how expectations, emotions, social norms, and other invisible, seemingly illogical forces skew our reasoning abilities..

Not only do we make astonishingly simple mistakes every day, but we make the same types of mistakes, Ariely discovers. We consistently overpay, underestimate, and procrastinate. We fail to understand the profound effects of our emotions on what we want, and we overvalue what we already own. Yet these misguided behaviors are neither random nor senseless. They're systematic and predictable—making us predictably irrational.

From drinking coffee to losing weight, from buying a car to choosing a romantic partner, Ariely explains how to break through these systematic patterns of thought to make better decisions. Predictably Irrational will change the way we interact with the world--one small decision at a time   [book description from Amazon 9/17/2010]

Why do smart people make irrational decisions every day? The answers will surprise you. 'Predictably Irrational' is an intriguing, witty and utterly original look at why we all make illogical decisions.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,720,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible