My Apron: A Story from My Childhood by Eric…

My Apron: A Story from My Childhood

by Eric Carle

In my opinion, this book is not exciting, and I did not like it. One reason that I did not like the book is because the plot of the story did not have enough suspense. The climax of the story is when the main character gets to help his uncle plaster the house. “In the morning me and my uncle go to work.” This happens very early in the story, and the rest of the story talks about how the main character follows his uncle around. The pace of the story is slow. This is due to the author’s choice of syntax. The author uses very concise sentences to tell the story. “My Uncle Adam wears a white apron. The apron has a big front pocket.” The short sentences in the story do not help add suspense to the story.
Another reason I did not like this story is because of the point of view. The story is told in first person. I feel as though there were questions left unanswered for the reader as a result of this. The book talks about the role of the main character, but as a reader, I wanted to know more about Uncle Adam. “I want a white apron with a pocket.” I wanted to know more about the relationship between the main character and Uncle Adam. I wanted to know why Uncle Adam was plastering the house. I feel that the first person point of view really limited the reader from learning more about the main character.
The big idea of The Apron is that children can learn from adults. In the beginning of the book, the main character wanted to help his Uncle Adam. As the book progresses, the main character learned that there are lessons that can be learned from working with Uncle Adam. “All afternoon I go up and down the stairs to carry plaster to my Uncle Adam.” The main character is learning what it means to be a plasterer. This book teaches young kids that they can learn from their caregiver’s profession if they take interest. Teachers can use this book to encourage their students to learn more about the professions of their family members, and to be a helping hand when they have the opportunity. ( )
  Taylorbacon | Feb 27, 2017 |
In my opinion this is a decent book. The book has a first person point of view from a young boy who vistts is aunt and uncle and ends up helping his uncle in his shop. The plot has a steady pace of events, like the boy seeing his uncle plaster houses, then wanting to be like his uncle, and finally getting his very own apron just like him. But these events aren't very exciting or interesting, at least to me. The illustrations help to enhance the story with its vibrant colors. Like most Eric Carle books, the different colors and textures really grab the readers attention. Most of the illustrations take up the whole page which I like because it gives the reader something to look at.The message from this book is to value hard work. The young boy is able to see how much his uncle likes his job and even wants to help him out. He is rewarded with his very own apron and is excited to help out his uncle again one day soon. ( )
  Erica_Dickey | Sep 7, 2016 |
Someone really wants an apron to help his uncle with all of the things that he has to do. Throughout the whole book he is working hard and helping to get things done.
  margaritamunoz14 | Apr 29, 2015 |
“My Apron” is a meaningful story about a time from Eric Carle’s childhood where he got to spend the day at work with his uncle. His simple text and colorful illustrations help readers feel like they are experiencing the day with him. His sequence of events is easy to follow, and the pictures go along with his text. For example, on the page where it says, “All morning I carry plaster up the stairs to my Uncle Adam,” there is an illustration of Eric bringing a bucket of plaster up a flight of stairs. The way he illustrates his books really allows readers to visualize the content of the book. ( )
  alines1 | Oct 23, 2013 |
Boy helps his uncle plaster in a house, wearing a big, white apron.

Ages: 3-5
Source: Pierce County Library, UP Branch.
  karenburns | Mar 15, 2013 |

Carle adopts a slightly different artistic technique for his latest work, superimposing strong line drawings over his trademark colored-tissue-paper collage. Inspired in part by French Cubist Fernand Lger's paintings of laborers (as a note printed on the endpapers tells us), the illustrations are vigorous and fresh, a visual paean to honest hard work. The story is a recollection of a vacation the eight-year-old Carle spent with relatives, tagging along with his uncle, a plasterer, and wearing the white work apron his aunt made especially for him. The sturdy, simple prose is as linear as the drawings, reinforcing the visual imagery, and it effectively captures the tender uncle-nephew bond and the pride a child feels in participating in important adult tasks. For aspiring young helpers, a single-pocket white apron is included with the book. Ages 5-up.

After his aunt makes him an apron just like his uncle's, a young boy helps him plaster the chimney.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible