True Colors by Karen Traviss

This exciting installation in the Republic Commando series is one of Traviss' finest works to date. The story of what it is like to come of age during the Clone Wars from the perspective of a clone is unlike any other Star Wars novel. This series is about so much more than a journey through a confusing war. It is the story of all of us. This book series is about the complex relationships of families, about what it means to have brothers, and about what is right. The best advice I've ever gotten has come from this book series, and it has shaped my life in so many ways. These books (the Republic Commando series) are about morality, setting priorities, and above all else love. Loving your family, we are brothers all. ( )
  JacobGolden | Jun 12, 2012 |
For the life of me, I just could not get into this book. I don't know what it was about this one, but the two previous I thought were very good. I was so amped to read this one after Triple Zero, but it took me MONTHS to finish this one because I couldn't read more than 10 or so pages at a time. On the other hand, I read Ruins of Dantooine and Darth Bane: Rule of Two in about three days each (slow reader..). I am glad I'm through with it now, but it leaves a little to desire. ( )
  ryan.shuck | Mar 27, 2009 |
* MAJOR SPOILERS*

Just a wonderful, wonderful continuation of the RC books. I have really become attached to all the characters.
Even Walon Vau's smelly pet shrill, Mird. Traviss had developed them so well and they (Kal Skirata, Vau, the clone troopers, and the Jedi Bardan Jusik and Etain) have become a very close Mandalorian family. I feel like I become a part of the family.

With the clones short life span and Order 66 a year away, you know this can't end well. I already have a sense of foreshadowing by the end of True Colors when the Delta Squad contemplates if there was a choice between the Republic and Mando, which would the Omega/Null Squads choose. They are more loyal to Skirata.

Speaking of which I was so proud of Jusik at the end when he leaves the Jedi Order because he ethically cannot belong to an order that sanctions the use of a slave army.
Too bad the rest of the Jedi didn't step back or at least fight to give the Clones rights.

Knowing that any clone that was wounded to the point that they couldn't fight anymore were euthanized; and in the case of ARC trooper, Sull, a deserter are hunted and executed - is just sick & disturbing.
Then when Fi is wounded and declared "brain dead" but still breathing on his own, I was like "OH Frak".
But Besany's and Obrim's rescue of his comatose body from the hospital was nothing short of awesome.
And although Jusik was able to repair some of the brain damage, Fi is not his old self. Poor Fi. But I am still so glad he got away and survived.
I really liked early on in the book when Fi questioned the timing of the war, because no one plans a war, that what if it broke out when they were still children.
I just get so pissed that not one Jedi, or Senators, or anyone stepped back to analyse and investigate what didn't make sense about the creation a clone army ten years before the war.
Just shows where the ethics of the Republic have gone.

I was heartbroken for Etain (and Skirata too) when Darman was holding their son and had no idea it was his. And she couldn't even tell him the truth. I'm now very much doubting that he will ever know. And readinf some spoilers from the Legacy of the Force books we know Venku Skirata was raised by Kal and has one of his mother's lightsabers. I really don't think she survives Order 66 :*(
I liked all the times she asked about Mando culture and words and how to be a good Mando wife. Too bad she'll never get to be one. BTW, I love reading about the Mandalorian culture.

Ko Sai- I am disgusted with the Kaminoians. The clones are nothing but a product to them and when they declared the Null batch of children not up to their standards & a failure, they were going to put them down. (Kal saved them.)
But the disgust just continues to grow when you find out that they kill their own babies if they have inferior traits.
Anyway, I thought the progression of the story and the end of the arc was well done.
And for once Palpatine didn't get what he wanted, Ko Sai and her research. *claps*

Three great Republic Commando books in a row. Traviss is writing these wonderfully and I am confident that the 4th book out this summer will be just as engaging and heartbreaking to read.

5 out of 5 Mandalorians ( )
  StephanieC | Feb 29, 2008 |
The Republic Commando series continues from strength to strength-- I thought the first volume, Hard Contact, was all right, but the second, Triple Zero, was excellent, and though this one is not quite as good as that, it is by no means bad. It's less focused than the second book, gathering in a number of characters in unrelated situations across the galaxy, which is its biggest flaw, but it does have more rocking commando action. As always, Traviss's biggest strength is the ability to get inside the heads of her characters. The viewpoint of each one is strong and distinct, almost overpoweringly so-- you find yourself believing whatever the viewpoint character believes quite often. It's a different perspective than most other novels-- focusing on Jedi characters-- give us on the Clone Wars, and it's a welcome one, too. These are a group of clones with a little more awareness of their plight, and that raises some intriguing questions about the morality of the Clone Wars. I look forward to the further of adventures of Delta Squad, Omega Squad, the Nulls, and the Cuy'val Dar in Order 66, though I'm bummed out that that has to be a hardcover. I really must pick up Traviss's original sf someday. (originally written December 2007)
  Stevil2001 | Feb 4, 2008 |
It is giving nothing away to observe that True Colors, like the two works preceding it, is about clone warriors. What I love about True Colors is that it takes the Star Wars concept of identical soldiers, cloned for only one purpose - to fight and die on command - and examines that concept, shakes it down, and ultimately turns it inside out.

For me, this is the essence of military science fiction, a sub-genre that I love: to weave into the story a deeper meaning than the tactics and battles. A thoughtful examination of what it means to be human, and to be a person, resides comfortably within the plot and the characters, without detracting from the story.

The "Republic Commando" books are set in the Star Wars universe, but it is not necessary to have read any of the Star Wars books first.

I found it easy to identify with the characters in True Colors. They had gained my interest and sympathy in the first two "Republic Commando" novels, and now they are living in my head, patiently waiting for further developments when the fourth book in the "Republic Commando" series, Order 66 is released July 15, 2008.

Traviss writes with depth and passion, skill and experience. She creates worlds, cultures and languages as easily as some women bake cookies. The characters I met in Hard Contact and Triple Zero continue to fascinate, amuse and amaze me in True Colors.

For anyone who appreciates military Science Fiction, Traviss is a bright star in the Constellation of Very Good Writers. ( )
  Pandababy | Nov 16, 2007 |
For Christian Stafford, TC 1219, 501st Legion,
who left this world aged eight, March 6, 2005,
and whose courage continues to inspire us all.
Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la:
not gone, merely marching far away.
We're running out of time.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345498003, Mass Market Paperback)

As the savage Clone Wars rage unchecked, the Republic’s deadliest warriors face the grim truth that the Separatists aren’t their only enemy–or even their worst.

In the Grand Army’s desperate fight to crush the Separatists, the secret special ops missions of its elite clone warriors have never been more critical . . . or more dangerous. A growing menace threatens Republic victory, and the members of Omega Squad make a shocking discovery that shakes their very loyalty.

As the lines continue to blur between friend and enemy, citizens–from civilians and sergeants to Jedi and generals–find themselves up against a new foe: the doubt in their own hearts and minds. The truth is a fragile, shifting illusion–and only the approaching inferno will reveal both sides in their true colors.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:28 -0400)

With the horrors of the Clone Wars continuing to rage on unchecked, the elite warriors of the Republic stumble upon a growing menace that threatens their victory, the Omega Squad's loyalty is tested by a shocking discovery, and the lines begin to blur between friend and foe.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,033,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible