Pumpkin Pumpkin by Jeanne Titherington

Pumpkin Pumpkin

by Jeanne Titherington

The illustrations are pretty good in this book, and the book itself shows a nice way of how pumpkins grow. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Nov 10, 2014 |
I have mixed feelings about the story, “Pumpkin Pumpkin” by Jeanne Titherington. Although it is an easy-read, informational story, I thought it was kind of boring. The illustrations were precise and depicted the text well, but the colors were very dull. Personally, I would have lost interest in this story when I was a kid. However, the language is simple for beginning readers and gets right to the point. Particularly, “And the pumpkin grew… and grew… and grew, until Jamie picked it.” This sentence was spread out over four pages, allowing beginning readers to decode simpler words while still comprehending the text. Thus, this book would be a good learning tool for younger children. Overall, the big idea of this story was to inform kids about planting a pumpkin seed and the stages of how it grows into a pumpkin. ( )
  Ebutzn1 | Oct 30, 2014 |
I liked this book overall because of the illustrations and how it made learning about how pumpkins grow interesting and relatable. I enjoyed how the illustrations looked to be on a different form of paper and how they aided in helping to understand how a pumpkin grows. Also I noticed in the illustrations that as the pumpkin grows larger there is an animal near the pumpkin. It kind of gives a comparison of how large the pumpkin actually is by comparing it to an animal people know the size of. I also enjoyed how they continued the sentences through multiple pages so when the pumpkin was growing it went “and the pumpkin grew, …. And grew,….. and grew” it made you keep flipping the page because you wanted to know how big the pumpkin grew. The overall message of the book is to give a clear understanding of how pumpkins grow and what happens throughout the stages. ( )
  Madison94 | Oct 21, 2014 |
In my opinion this is a good book for younger children. I think grades Pre-K-2nd would enjoy reading this book. The book does a really good job of showing how a pumpkin grows. The illustrations are very life like. The boy in the book, Jamie, looks realistic. The best part of the book are the illustrations. The illustrations show the entire growing process of the pumpkin. It starts with Jamie planting the seed, it shows the sprout, the pumpkin plant and finally the pumpkin forming on the vine. The illustrations are also very fun. One page of the book shows Jamie sitting by the pumpkin plant with a frog on this head. Another thing I like about the book is how easy it is to read. The text is very simple with limited words on each page. The first page starts off by saying “Jamie planted a pumpkin seed.” That sentence is very short and straightforward. The big idea of the book is to show children the growing process of a pumpkin seed. ( )
  Chawki6 | Sep 22, 2014 |
There are two reasons I liked this book, the first being because of its plot. The plot of this story is simple yet keeps the reader engaged. The story describes the cycle of a pumpkin in a simplistic way that young children can easily comprehend. There are few words on each page, and the author describes the pumpkin growing by stating throughout a few pages that it “grew… and grew… (Next page) and grew… (Next page) until… (Next page).” The author’s choice of spreading out the words onto separate pages builds suspense for the reader and keeps the reader interested. I can imagine reading this book to a child and noting their eagerness to flip the page and find out what the pumpkin develops into after the page that reads, “Until…” The second reason I enjoyed this book is due to the author’s illustrations, which were created using soft colored pencils. I liked how the illustrations were soft and simple because they fit perfectly with the author’s simplistic writing. The main idea of this book is to teach children about the life cycle of a pumpkin plant. This book also serves as a great seasonal/holiday book to get children excited for fall. ( )
  eobend1 | Sep 18, 2014 |

Jamie plants a pumpkin seed in the spring and, after watching it grow all summer, carves a face in it for Halloween! But best of all, he saves some seeds that he will plant again next spring. "Truly a book for all seasons."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:51 -0400)

Jamie plants a pumpkin seed and, after watching it grow, carves it, and saves some seeds to plant in the spring.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,993,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible