Of Blood and Sorrow by Valerie Wilson Wesley

Of Blood and Sorrow

by Valerie Wilson Wesley

This is the eighth installment of the popular Tamara Hayle series by Valerie Wilson Wesley. Tamara Hayle is a Private Detective that has a leisurely, `home-girl' way of unveiling a mystery. She’s a character with flaws but that makes her feel real.

This was a book club selection and my first read of her series. I would have liked to have read “Where Evil Sleeps” to be completely caught up on the characters and their past. My favorite characters were the mysteriously sexy Basil Dupre and Tamara's best friend Wyvetta Green (the proud owner of the Beauty Biscuit), that adds just the right touch to this story. Tamara's quandary about her two lovers puts some heat into the action and I found myself wondering which man she would choose. I felt Tamara's anguish at her son's choices which put him smack dab in the middle of her investigation when Lilah, who is found murdered in her car with Jamal's backpack in the rear seat.

Not enough mystery/suspense. When the killer is revealed, it is slightly anti-climatic because you realize that it wasn't as complicated as you originally thought. However, the story kept me guessing with each flip of the page until the very end.

This was my first and sincerely not my last Tamara Hayle mystery. ( )
  altima313 | Mar 3, 2009 |

Valerie Wilson Wesley’s private investigator, Tamara Hayle, whom the Houston Chronicle calls “smart, sexy, tough but tender,” has earned enthusiastic acclaim from reviewers and readers alike. Now Newark, New Jersey’s savviest detective confronts the one case she never saw coming–and discovers how ties that bind can easily become a noose.

Tamara Hayle can’t believe that her life is this good. New York’s most powerful businessman wants her to work for him, her new lover seems caring and supportive, and her son, Jamal, is thriving. But as Tamara sardonically observes, “When things stir that easy, there’s always something lumpy at the bottom of the pot.”

Enter Lilah Love, an old acquaintance who begs Tamara to find her missing child. Tamara, however, is wary of Lilah, who attracts mayhem and murder like an alley cat attracts fleas. Next up is Basil Dupre, Tamara’s outlaw ex-lover, who always brings passion–and chaos–when he strolls into Tamara’s life. Suddenly Tamara’s safe world isn’t so secure, especially when Jamal witnesses a brutal murder and becomes the prime suspect.

As the body count rises, Tamara and Jamal will follow a long-forgotten secret into a terrifying confrontation with love gone bad, trust turned lethal, and a past hungry to claim more lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:32 -0400)

Life is looking up for African-American private detective Tamara Hayle, until old acquaintance Lilah Love arrives to ask her to find her missing child, and Tamara's son, Jamal, witnesses a brutal murder and becomes the prime suspect.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible