Rattletrap Car by Phyllis Root

Rattletrap Car

by Phyllis Root

26 months - not really sure how to rate this one. My husband didn't really like it and my daughter never wanted to read it after the first time. I convinced her to give it one more read so I could read it at least once. Not very realistic but I thought it was fun, repetitive but in a fun way with rhyming car sounds. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
In rattletrap Car it happened to be a hot summer day and the kids decided to take a trip to the lake. Talking to Poppa he seemed unsure they could make it in their rattletrap car. Poppa agreed to give it a try. On their journey to the lake, the family runs into various problems with the rattletrap car. The supplies and marshmallow fudge delight packed in the rattletrap car for the lake, helped the family overcome their obstacles. The family arrived to the lake, and drove the rattletrap car home that night.
Several predictable areas throughout the children’s story book. Examples include- flippita fluppita fizzelly sizzelly wappity bappity lumpety bumpety clinkety clanety bing bang pop! They didn’t go fast and they didn’t go far when…
The illustrations brought the book to life and made it feel realistic. Great detail on the different crashes associated with the rattletrap car. ( )
  AMuller96 | Sep 22, 2015 |
I had slightly mixed feelings about this one. Loved the shape of the story: the constant stops and starts, each character taking a turn at providing the solution and keeping the car—and the story—moving forward. The rhythm and repetition was great too, and this would obviously be such a fun read-aloud. My hesitation is mostly about the actual solutions to the car troubles. Of course, yes, it’s a silly book, but it seemed like such an odd mix of realistic and completely unrealistic. Everything seems real-worldly except that the car can be kept going with a beach ball wheel, a razzleberry fizz gas tank, etc. I just wasn’t sure the juxtaposition of reality and fantasy worked for me, perhaps because it didn’t seem clearly to be either one or the other. I also didn’t particularly like that there were just occasional lines of rhyme. It kept making me wish for either more rhyme, or none at all. ( )
  michelleknudsen | Dec 6, 2009 |
Okay, so this book is not really very realistic. You can't really replace wheels with beach balls or engines with toy boats.

But it's fun to pretend you can when reading :)

And anyway, this book is such a delight to read aloud that I don't suppose it matters about the family's unorthodox method of transport. I mean, try to say this out loud without grinning:

Poppa turned the key
brum, brum, brum, brum.
Flippita fluppita
fizzelly sizzelly
wappity bappity
lumpety bumpety
clinkety clankety
bing bang

You can't do it. You just can't. If you buy this only for the fun of reading a few of those lines aloud, it's money well spent. ( )
  conuly | Nov 15, 2009 |
A book that uses rhymes and alliteration to tell the story of a car that is falling to pieces and the inventive family that keep it together so that they can get to the lake on a very hot day.

Nice to see a book where the one parent shown is a man rather than a woman - nothing wrong with intimating that Dads can look after the kids! ( )
  ForrestFamily | Nov 18, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0763620076, Paperback)

"A picture book that passes the fun test with flying fizz." — BOOKLIST

It’s hot. Hot, hot, hot! So Junie and Jake and Poppa and the baby want to go to the lake. But can they make it there in their rattletrap car? It doesn’t go fast, and it doesn’t go far — but with the help of some razzleberry dazzleberry snazzleberry fizz, a beach ball, a surfboard, and a three-speed, wind-up, paddle-wheel boat, they’re off to the lake where it’s cool, cool, cool! Phyllis Root’s wonderfully inventive wordplay and Jill Barton’s spirited, expressive illustrations make this a read-aloud road trip to remember.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:20 -0400)

Various disasters threaten to stop Poppa and the children from getting to the lake in their rattletrap car, but they manage to come up with an ingenious solution to each problem.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763620076, 0763641391

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,958,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible