Lopsided: How Having Breast Cancer Can Be…

Lopsided: How Having Breast Cancer Can Be Really Distracting

by Meredith Norton

One of the best memoirs I've read! This woman is funny, honest, irreverent, smart, and someone I would love to be friends with. For anyone who has been touched by breast cancer, I highly recommend this book. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
"As far as I'm concerned, Lance Armstrong and I are close to exact opposites, both physically and mentally ...If surviving this particularly deadly form of breast cancer required any of the Lance-like traits, such as a willingness to physically exert myself, I was as good as dead."
"As far as I'm concerned, Lance Armstrong and I are close to exact opposites, both physically and mentally... If surviving this particularly deadly form of breast cancer required any of the Lance-like traits, such as willingness to physically exert myself, I was as good as dead."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670019283, Hardcover)

By the age of thirty -four , Meredith Norton had been a hymnal editor, art restorer, game-show producer, and a public school teacher. She'd even lived in a tree house and shepherded goats in Minorca. But none of these unusual experiences prepared her for the most dramatic turn her life would take: the diagnosis of an aggressive form of breast cancer. In this brilliantly funny and irreverent memoir, Norton approaches the disease with a refreshing combination of humor and tenacity, railing against victimhood and self-pity and refusing to become a stereotype.

Told with a razor-sharp wit akin to David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs, Lopsided is most definitely not a typical cancer memoir; it's the bitingly funny debut of a natural-born social observer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

Not your ordinary cancer memoir, this is the debut of a masterful humorist. Norton chronicles every step of her experience, starting with her bizarre symptoms while living in Paris to moving back home to California and living with her compulsive parents and their five television sets. Irreverent and incredibly funny, Norton rails against self-pity and victimhood and rants about the innumerable copies of Lance Armstrong's cancer survival book pressed on her by well-meaning family and friends: "If surviving this ... required any of the Lance-like traits, such as willingness to physically exert myself, I was as good as dead." Alongside the harrowing portrait of her treatments, Norton offers equally amusing memories from her offbeat life in an affluent African-American family as well as her marriage to a Frenchman.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,069,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible