The History of the Snowman by Bob Eckstein

The History of the Snowman

by Bob Eckstein

rabck from dvg; everything you always wanted to know about snowmen, but were afraid to ask! Although Frosty is mentioned, there is a whole lot more about snowmen, going back centuries, with lots of photos and illustrations of the author's findings ( )
  nancynova | Apr 28, 2018 |
Filled with tons of fascinating information, great pictures and told in humorous, intelligent manner - this was a pleasure to read. Perfect for Winter! ( )
  jlparent | Dec 26, 2010 |
A semi-serious history of the snowman -- lighthearted and fun to read. ( )
  NewsieQ | Dec 7, 2010 |
The History of the Snowman recounts Bob Eckstein's exhaustive faux-academic study of the snowman. The seriousness with which Eckstein defines various periods in snowman-human relations and the care with which he presents myriad examples from the art, advertising and pop culture worlds work together to create a wholly unique work. The result is more than I ever wanted to know about snowmen, but with enough creative asides into political theater, the modern liquor industry and horror movies to keep me interested and enjoying myself. ( )
1 vote tracyfox | Mar 1, 2010 |
I received this book as a Christmas gift from my sister because I love snowmen and have quite a collection. The book included many pop culture stories but Eckstein also did his research and gave interesting facts about snowmen from history. Many drawings, some by Eckstein as he was a political cartoonist, are included throughout the book and there are also several sections of color pictures of snowmen in art, advertising and other things. Snowmen have been used to sell things and also to make political statements from as early as the 13th century. Eckstein has an entertaining writing style and I didn't want to put the book down. I was also sharing different stories with the family throughout my reading. I recommend this book but be aware that there are parts that are graphic as some snowmen used for political purposes were sexual in nature. Certainly a far cry from Frosty the snowman of our generation. ( )
1 vote janimar | Jan 4, 2009 |

A historical and sociological evaluation of the snowman and snowman building travels backward through time from the modern world's regard of snowmen as a pop culture symbol to prehistoric early constructions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,234,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible