La brevità della vita by L. Anneo Seneca

La brevità della vita (edition 1993)

by L. Anneo Seneca

Member:Gianluca-Stirpe
Title:La brevità della vita
Authors:L. Anneo Seneca
Info:BUR Biblioteca Univ. Rizzoli (1993), Perfect Paperback

On the shortness of life by Seneca

English (16)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
1. Muito breve e agitada é a vida daqueles que esquecem o passado, negligenciam o presente e temem o futuro. Quando chegam ao fim, os coitados entendem, muito tarde, que estiveram ocupados fazendo nada.

Sêneca. Sobre a brevidade da vida (Locais do Kindle 518-520). L&PM Editores. Edição do Kindle. ( )
  WalkerDeBarros | Apr 29, 2018 |
Imprescindible para la correcta formación intelectual. ( )
  drgabon | Mar 29, 2018 |
3 letters.

1. On the Shortness of Life and how not waste it.
2. Why exile isn't so bad.
3. Why moderation will give you tranquility

I thought moderation would be a boring topic that couldn't possibly teach me anything new. Seneca proved me wrong. I give it 5 stars for brevity, and 4 on content.

Romans had similar problems to people today in 2017. That's why this is still in print. ( )
  ryanone | Jan 3, 2018 |
This book I bought at Book People in Austin, both because I have a weakness for Penguin's Great Ideas series in general, and also because the title intrigued me. It is a collection of writings to friends and his mother on how to live happier, more satisfied lives, and how to hold up under adversity by organizing one's life according to philosophy and reason.

It is anti-time-management. In fact, I want to print out long excerpts and slip them inside of time management best sellers at bookstores. "What are you looking at? To what goal are you straining? The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately."

Really, it's marvelous how accessible this work is despite the millennia that have passed since it was written. As relevant as it ever was as a guide to living well.

Highly recommended. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
My personal favorite from all the three essays in this book was 'On the Shortness of Life.' It amazed me that Seneca could write of something hundreds of centuries ago, and find that we still can heed this wisdom. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |

Senecaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hunink, VincentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janssen, Tjitte H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Most human beings, Paulinus, complain about the meanness of nature, because we are born for a brief span of life, and because this spell of time that has been given us rushes by so swiftly and rapidly that with very few exceptions life ceases for the rest of us just when we are getting ready for it.

Il senso della fuga del tempo e della caducità delle cose percorre tutta l’opera di Seneca. A questa realtà egli oppone una problematica saggezza, che invita a liberare lo spazio breve dell’esistenza dalle futili tensioni che lo consumano, vanificandone la potenziale ricchezza. Il tempo è il bene più prezioso dell’uomo; ma è anche quello più facilmente dissipato. Ecco l’impietoso spettacolo dell’alienazione umana, la massa frenetica degli affaccendati, il dramma delle vite consunte dalla brama di ricchezza e di potere; e, di contro, la figura del saggio, che nel dominio razionale di sé sa rendere intenso e fecondo ogni attimo dell’esistere e fa di ogni giorno che passa una vita. La brevità della vita è qui presentato da uno dei più sensibili studiosi dell’opera senecana, Alfonso Traina, cui si devono introduzione, traduzione e note.
(piopas)

The Stoic writings of the philosopher Seneca offer powerful insights into the art of living and the importance of reason and morality and continue to provide profound guidance to many through their eloquence, lucidity and timeless wisdom.--Publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,215,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible