Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Firefly Lane (edition 2009)

by Kristin Hannah

Member:sskinsey
Title:Firefly Lane
Authors:Kristin Hannah
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2009), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 528 pages

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

English (250)  Dutch (1)  All languages (251)
This book is about a lifelong friendship between two women that begins when they are young girls. There are many examples of wanting what someone else has. As they grow in opposite directions, their friendship remains constant through the good and the bad. It is an excellent picture of the ways in which women need each other throughout their lives, forming strong bonds that can never be broken. Tis is definitely a "box of Kleenex" book. You will laugh and then cry over some of the things we all experience.

This is the first book I have read by Kristin Hannah, but it will not be my last. ( )
  nmaners | Mar 26, 2014 |
I LOVED this book, it was such a good read!! ( )
  samanthaclanton.7013 | Jan 15, 2014 |
A wonderful tale of friendship through the ages. When Katie and Tully meet in the 1970s they are both teenagers and in desperate need of a friend. Katie has lost her two close friends in the course of growing up and has found herself to be desperately lonely. Tully has lived with her grandparents (due to her mother's abandonment of her) and has just moved into the area. Both find each other at the moment in there lives when they both need what the other has to offer. Together on Firefly Lane they agree to be best friends forever. Firefly Lane is the story of their friendship, its ups and its downs as the decades pass. It is a heartwarming story of hope, love, dreams and support.

Kristin Hannah's writing places her readers into the decade and directly into the middle of this friendship. We experience firsthand the highs and lows - and both cheer and cry at their accomplishments and life experiences. A wonderful heartwarming novel that will go by very quickly. ( )
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |
Takes you on a beautiful journey through the lives of two best friends. I liked the rating. Would have given it a 5 but there was something missing. But it is still a good book! ( )
  sravyam | Oct 17, 2013 |
A tearjerker at times, and compelling, but I felt a bit as though the growth that we should have seen wasn't there. But by the same token, sometimes that's the way life is - people should grow and learn and change, and they don't.

I felt that Kate had more growth than Tully did - Tully especially seemed to always be looking for something more, and even at the end I wasn't sure if she'd really learned anything.

It's good enough that it drew me in, but thinking back on it, I would have liked more - to be drawn into why and how certain things happened. Like how Johnny fell in love with Kate, when Tully seems to be more his type - of course, I always got the feeling that Tully just wanted Johnny because the life that he gave Kate was the one thing that she didn't have. But how did Johnny fall in love with Kate? What sustained their marriage? We're told that he loves her, but not shown.

At the end I was left with the niggling question of whether or not Johnny would go to Tully - he told Kate he wouldn't, but I wasn't so sure. I would have liked to feel more certain of that, since their love was so deep. We were told over and over that he'd never do that to Kate, but we never hear why.

The ending made me cry, with its unfairness - there are glimmers of the hope that maybe Tully will learn and change, but I would have liked to be more certain of that.

Still, an enjoyable read. ( )
  kerrikins | Sep 25, 2013 |
SOB... (full out ugly cry sobs)

I can honestly say that I have not cried as much, while reading a book, as I did with Firefly Lane. The story of friendship that lasts through thick and thin is so endearing that I could actually imagine both Tully and Kate and the feelings that they had towards one another.

The imagry in the novel was wonderful... I loved that it went from the seventies all the way to present (2006) and reading about each of the decades nuances (fashion, music, hair, make-up) was really cool. Tully, being a cool chick, went through each transition easily while Kate seemed to have a harder time... which I can totally relate to as I am much more a 'Kate' than a 'Tully' in my life.

Reading this book evoked a lot of memories and feelings that I had growing up... relationships that I had with friends that came and went and then those few special ones that seemed to last through it all. Memories that last a lifetime...

Overall, this is a must-read for anyone who is looking for a book about true friendship... one that will stick with you and make you truly cherish those friends that have made a significant difference in your life.

The best mirror is an old friend. -George Herbert
This book is dedicated to "us." The girls. Friends who see one another through the hard times, big and small, year in and year out. You know who you are. Thanks. And to my mom, who inspires so many of my novels, this one most of all.
They used to be called the Firefly Lane girls.
"That was the thing about best friends. Like sisters and mothers, they could piss you off and make you cry and break your heart, but in the end, when the chips were down, they were there, making you laugh even in your darkest hours. "
"Sometimes being a good friend means saying nothing."
"Thoughts - even fears - were airy things, formless until you made them solid with your voice and once given that weight, they could crush you."
"The at-home mother's life: it was a race with no finish line."

Firefly Lane, the story of a generation of women who were both blessed and cursed by choices. It's about promises and secrets and betrayals. And ultimately, about the one person who really truely knows you-and has the power to hurt you and heal you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312537077, Paperback)

A Conversation with Kristin Hannah

Amazon.com: Why did you choose Seattle as the backdrop for Firefly Lane? Is there something unique about growing up in the Northwest that helped you to define the kind of women Kate and Tully become?

Kristin Hannah: Quite simply, I chose Seattle as the backdrop for Firefly Lane because it's so much a part of who I am. I've lived in the Northwest for most of my life, and obviously, in all those years, I've seen this part of the country evolve from an undiscovered gem into the Emerald City. So many of the places from my youth are gone, or changed, or moved, and I guess I wanted to remember the physical reminders of those bygone days. And while Kate and Tully are absolutely Northwest girls, I like to think their story will speak to women who grew up in vastly different, more populated areas. After all, it's ultimately about friendship, and those seeds can be planted anywhere.

Amazon.com: While you were writing, at any point did you find yourself feeling more sympathetic to Kate or to Tully? How did you keep the weight of the plot balanced between them as their stories evolved?

KH: There's no way to avoid the truth that Kate is more than a little like me. Thus, I identified with her from the very beginning--she was the small town girl who had to get up in the pre-dawn hours to feed her horses, and read The Lord of the Rings during every family vacation, and felt lost in the first few months at the sprawling University of Washington. All of that was me, so naturally, the problem was not in feeling sympathetic toward Katie; it was much more about holding her at arm's length, seeing her not as an extension of myself, but as a completely fictional woman. Tully was a different story entirely. While many readers might be surprised by this, I really fell in love with Tully. In the final analysis, she's one of my favorite characters of all time. I know she's bold and selfish and myopic and ambitious to a fault, but she's also terribly broken, wounded by her parents, unable to believe in love, and ultimately very real. I think all of us know a "Tully" in our lives, and they bring a lot of drama...and a lot of fire and sparkle.

Amazon.com: You have a beautiful way of showing both the tension and tenderness between mothers and daughters. Was it a challenge to write Tully's painful history with her own mother, and later, the conflict that builds between Kate and her own daughter?

KH: Honestly, I believe that the mother-daughter relationship is magical, complex, potentially dangerous, profoundly powerful, and deeply transformative. To put it simply, all of us have this relationship, and in a very real way, "none of us comes out alive." We are all formed first as daughters and then tested as mothers. There's nothing like motherhood to make us reassess how we were as daughters. One of my favorite parts of Firefly Lane was the circle of Kate’s relationship with her mom. First we see her as an angry teen, slamming the door on her mother...and then later her own daughter does the same thing to her. There's a real symmetry in that, a truth that many of us have learned. I have often wished in the past few years that my mom were here to help me as I raised my own teenage son. As a girl, with my own mom, I thought I knew it all; now I know better. Somewhere, I know my mom is smiling.

Amazon.com: Throughout the novel, both Kate and Tully question the reliability of love. Is it that question that creates the rift between them and, ultimately, reunites them in friendship?

KH: You're right, they each do continually question the reliability of love. For Kate, it's a self-esteem issue. She absolutely believes in love--she's grown up surrounded by it--but she constantly questions Johnny's commitment to her. I always felt that was largely because she felt like a moon to Tully's bright and shining sun. For Tully, she honestly doesn’t believe that true romantic love exists, and for all of her overblown ambition and belief in herself, she has been wounded by her mother's repeated abandonment. The result is that she feels she's unlovable.

Amazon.com: Kate and Tully are each big personalities in their own way. Was it hard to create male characters who really understand them?

KH:The challenge with regard to male characters was not so much creating men who understood Kate and Tully, it was rather to create love stories that equaled the power and emotional intensity of the friendship. After all, the men in the story were important--Johnny particularly--but it was really a story about the women.

Amazon.com: When Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone first came out, many readers were shocked that a man could write such an intimate portrait of a woman. Do you think women are in fact the best writers of women's fiction? Would you ever consider writing a novel where men take center stage?

KH: One of the great things about being a writer is that we get the chance to inhabit the minds and souls of a variety of individuals. I really don't think male/female is the central question in terms of the viability of a voice and/or vision. We writers can "become" murderers, animals, psychopaths, vampires, lawyers, doctors, wizards, children. In short, our storytelling skills and character-building abilities are limited only by our own imaginations. Until recently, most of my novels--while female-centric in vision--were equally narrated by male characters, and one--Angel Falls—was primarily narrated by men. I didn't see the writing of that any different than anything else.

Amazon.com: Do you see yourself as a writer of romance or women's fiction? What do you see as the differences in these two genres--is one an evolution of the other, or is the label unimportant?

KH: I began as a romance author and moved into women's fiction about ten years ago. While many definitions abound, mine is this: romance is a subsection of the broad, all-inclusive women's commercial fiction market. Women's fiction in general is not an evolution of romance; much of women's fiction is completely unrelated to any romantic elements. However, it is true that many current commercial women's fiction authors began in romance.

Amazon.com:Many women read fictional romance to escape the stress of everyday life and find inspiration in a happy ending. Is there a primary experience that you hope your readers will have after reading Firefly Lane?

KH: I am a sucker for a happy ending myself. In fact, my husband and I often go round and round about movies in which I hate the ending and he loves it. He always says I'm only comfortable with happy ever after, but that's not true. What I want is an emotionally satisfying, organic ending. I want to be totally engaged until the last page, and I want to believe every moment up until I close the book. Sometimes I want to laugh, sometimes I want to cry, and sometimes I want to scream that it can’t really be over. (Harry Potter comes to mind on this one). The point is, I want to be moved deeply. That's what I look for in other books and what I hope to deliver in my own.

Just FYI, here are some of my favorite endings: Gone With the Wind, Middlemarch, Prince of Tides, An Inconvenient Wife, The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, To Kill a Mockingbird, It, Shadow of the Wind. Some are happy, some are sad, some are bittersweet. All are memorable.

Amazon.com: If you could meet any writer, living or dead, who would it be, and what would you ask them?

KH: There are, of course, dozens of choices here, and I could certainly go through the classics and come up with many names and questions, but the truth is that I would love to sit down with Stephen King and listen to some rock and roll, and ask him how in the world he has stayed so good for so long.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:29 -0400)

Inseparable best friends Kate and Tully, two young women who, despite their very different lives, have vowed to be there for each other forever, have been true to their promise for thirty years, until events and choices in their lives tear them apart.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,282,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible