The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne…

The Penderwicks on Gardam Street

by Jeanne Birdsall

Recently added byterralech, Boona, TheresaBorn

Pretty sweet :) ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
I can't be entirely sure if the Penderwicks series are only the kind of books I think, now, in my thirties, would have been the sort of thing I would have loved to bits and read over and over if it had been around when I was ten or if it really would have been the sort of thing I read over and over when I was ten. I'm leaning toward the later, but I'm not sure it matters. I love this series to bits now, and it's like a lovely breath of childhood to read them as an adult. The children characters are lovely and real, the world they inhabit is safe but never sterile, and the adventures they have are fun, touching, and important without ever being preachy. A beautiful second installment in this modern old-fashioned series. ( )
  lycomayflower | Apr 28, 2014 |
MSBA nominee 2009-2010 ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |
The Penderwick sisters and their father are home on Gardam street when Aunt Claire drops a bombshell in the form of a letter from the girls' mother. Before her death, Elizabeth Penderwick knew that her husband would be lonely, but would probably not venture into dating again on his own, so she and Claire formulated a plan. Now, several years after Elizabeth's death, Claire is putting the plan in motion. Naturally, the girls have mixed feelings about this -- particularly Rosalind who, as Oldest Available Penderwick, is used to mothering her younger sisters and having her own way in the kitchen. So, the Penderwicks hatch a plan of their own, to "save" their father by setting him up on a series of dreadful blind dates! And of course that's not all that's going on in the busy family: Jane and Skye switch homework assignments with hilarious and disastrous results, Batty becomes obsessed with the "Bug Man," a mysterious stranger who may be lurking around Gardam Street, Rosalind finds her feelings for a boy confused once again, and all four sisters find a charming confidante in their new neighbor, a single mother named Iantha.

This second book in the series is just as charming and gentle as the first, and the audiobook narration is, once again, stellar. I recommend the whole series, for though this book could be read on its own, it does occasionally reference characters and events from the previous volume. ( )
  foggidawn | Jul 19, 2013 |
Even better than the first book. In my opinion, this one puts the Penderwicks firmly in the ranks of classic children’s lit. [Sep. 2008]

-----

The sequel to The Penderwicks and, in my opinion, even better than the first book. Sweet, funny, and touching. (Aug. 2010) ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
I really enjoyed reading The Penderwicks on Gardam Street,though the prologue was sad.
However,the plot was fantastic!I feel like I could read Penderwicks forever,but I don't care for the way Jeanne Birdsall adds love and dating into the story,even though thats part of the it.
added by msilovebooks | editNaomi Dare, Naomi Dare (Feb 13, 2011)

For David, Amy, and Tim
Their mother had been here in the hospital with the new baby for almost a week.

The Penderwick sisters are at home on Gardam Street and ready for an adventure! But the adventure they get isn't quite what they had in mind. Mr Penderwick's sister has decided it's time for him to start dating - which can only mean one thing: disaster. Enter the Save Daddy Plan - a plot so brilliant, so bold, so funny, that only the Penderwick girls could have come up with it. But first they have some other problems to deal with: Rosalind can't seem to get the annoying Tommy Geiger out of her hair; Skye loses her temper on the soccer field; Jane's love of creative writing leads her into deep water, and Batty's getting into mischief spying on the new next-door neighbour. As for Hound, he's always in trouble. Expect big laughs and loads of family warmth as the Penderwicks triumphantly return.

THE PENDERWICK SISTERS are home on Gardam Street and ready for an adventure! But the adventure they get isn’t quite what they had in mind. Mr. Penderwick’s sister has decided it’s time for him to start dating—and the girls know that can only mean one thing: disaster. Enter the Save-Daddy Plan—a plot so brilliant, so bold, so funny, that only the Penderwick girls could have come up with it. It’s high jinks, big laughs, and loads of family warmth as the Penderwicks triumphantly return.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:22 -0400)

The four Penderwick sisters are faced with the unimaginable prospect of their widowed father dating, and they hatch a plot to stop him.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,963,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible