The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne…

The Penderwicks on Gardam Street

by Jeanne Birdsall

A wholesome, earnest story about a family of four sisters whose "save Daddy" plan is intended to keep him out of the dating game after being widowed for four years. Side stories include the Aztec play debacle, getting acquainted with new neighbors Iantha (sp??? I listened to the book) and her toddler Ben, Skye's rivalry with Melissa, and Batty's obsession with "the Bugman." ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Sequel to The Penderwicks. An adorable children's fiction. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
I read this in one sitting - I just took it out to the swing in the yard and read it through. Perfect way to read it for its nostalgic tone and comforting ideas. The story started a little slow but by the end I was laughing out loud so much my son (who is trying to finish the last Charlie Bone book) was getting thoroughly annoyed with me. I think one of the reasons this could be a successful series, like the classics that inspired it, is that there are so many interesting characters. With the first two books Birdsall is busy establishing all their stories, and making the ancillary characters real and rich, too. But with future books she could emphasize some characters more than others, and keep us readers happy for many more books. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Pretty sweet :) ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
I can't be entirely sure if the Penderwicks series are only the kind of books I think, now, in my thirties, would have been the sort of thing I would have loved to bits and read over and over if it had been around when I was ten or if it really would have been the sort of thing I read over and over when I was ten. I'm leaning toward the later, but I'm not sure it matters. I love this series to bits now, and it's like a lovely breath of childhood to read them as an adult. The children characters are lovely and real, the world they inhabit is safe but never sterile, and the adventures they have are fun, touching, and important without ever being preachy. A beautiful second installment in this modern old-fashioned series. ( )
  lycomayflower | Apr 28, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading The Penderwicks on Gardam Street,though the prologue was sad.
However,the plot was fantastic!I feel like I could read Penderwicks forever,but I don't care for the way Jeanne Birdsall adds love and dating into the story,even though thats part of the it.
added by msilovebooks | editNaomi Dare, Naomi Dare (Feb 13, 2011)

For David, Amy, and Tim
Their mother had been here in the hospital with the new baby for almost a week.

The Penderwick sisters are at home on Gardam Street and ready for an adventure! But the adventure they get isn't quite what they had in mind. Mr Penderwick's sister has decided it's time for him to start dating - which can only mean one thing: disaster. Enter the Save Daddy Plan - a plot so brilliant, so bold, so funny, that only the Penderwick girls could have come up with it. But first they have some other problems to deal with: Rosalind can't seem to get the annoying Tommy Geiger out of her hair; Skye loses her temper on the soccer field; Jane's love of creative writing leads her into deep water, and Batty's getting into mischief spying on the new next-door neighbour. As for Hound, he's always in trouble. Expect big laughs and loads of family warmth as the Penderwicks triumphantly return.

THE PENDERWICK SISTERS are home on Gardam Street and ready for an adventure! But the adventure they get isn’t quite what they had in mind. Mr. Penderwick’s sister has decided it’s time for him to start dating—and the girls know that can only mean one thing: disaster. Enter the Save-Daddy Plan—a plot so brilliant, so bold, so funny, that only the Penderwick girls could have come up with it. It’s high jinks, big laughs, and loads of family warmth as the Penderwicks triumphantly return.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:44 -0400)

The four Penderwick sisters are faced with the unimaginable prospect of their widowed father dating, and they hatch a plot to stop him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,073,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible