Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Coraline (edition 2002)

by Neil Gaiman

15,769586213 (4)750
Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures through a mysterious door into a world that is similar, yet disturbingly different from her own, where she must challenge a gruesome entity in order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others.
Member:malinablue
Title:Coraline
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:HarperCollins (2002), Hardcover, 176 pages
Tags:young adult, fiction, novels, fantasy, supernatural, uncanny, children's literature, paranormal, bedroom library

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Author)

Recently added byrena75, dreaminginstereo, MorganSchaub, nx74defiant, private library, SamReads, seth.alter, yellowwalls, sscudder68
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (timspalding)
    timspalding: If Coraline doesn't quite live up to the hype, don't give up on Gaiman. Fragile Things is simply stunning.
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (littlegeek)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (moonsoar)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (infiniteletters)
    The 13 Clocks by James Thurber (Bookshop_Lady)
    Bookshop_Lady: "Coraline" is creepy and might be too creepy for some kids. "The Thirteen Clocks" has a few creepy moments but overall is a light-hearted fairy tale. They're very different books and tell very different stories. But for all that, I believe older children/young teens who enjoy one of these books will probably enjoy both.… (more)
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (foggidawn)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Clockwork by Philip Pullman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both books are for children, but still manage to be dark and horrifying for all ages.
    Doll Bones by Holly Black (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers will savor the tension of both horror stories involving characters seeking ways to put souls to rest. Each story explores the distinctions between fantasy and reality in a deliciously creepy way.
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (edeninwonderland)
    Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Slightly older YA, and a full novel. But the same theme, children move into a new place and discover a creepy 'fairy world' thats hard to escape.
    The Wikkeling by Steven Arntson (foggidawn)
    The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (starfishpaws)
    The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand (_Zoe_)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    Wildwood by Colin Meloy (DieFledermaus)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (Nikkles)

English (566)  German (5)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Polish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (586)
Coraline discovers a door to another world. Loved all the characters. It gave me chills. Neil Gaiman does a great job as narrator. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 19, 2020 |
He's done better, but it was better than the movie. ( )
  Tchipakkan | Dec 26, 2019 |
When I started or better said, when I began reading this immensely strange and immensely weird novel, I honestly had no idea what to expect from its writer and what to expect from the novel itself. But as I progressed towards the actual beginning of the story, this novel wasn't just immensely strange and immensely weird anymore, but it was also quite for the lack of a better term, crazy and insane. But not in a very bad way, but in a very good way, for I wanted to learn more and more about Coraline and Coraline's struggles, and who was actually behind the other world Coraline had visited so many times. By the time I learnt that, I was pretty much trapped by the rich story line, and cheered for Coraline with passion to beat that damn thing. And as the endings go, I wasn't disappointed by its ending. ( )
  Champ88 | Dec 25, 2019 |
The lowish star rating is much more a reflection of my reading preferences than on the quality of the book. I enjoyed it more than I thought that I would, considering that I don't really care for short stories or novellas, nor horror or scary books. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
I listened to the audio book.
Which was perfect.
Love it. ( )
1 vote Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |
A modern ghost story with all the creepy trimmings... Well done.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times (Aug 11, 2001)

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Krutz-Arnold, CorneliaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merritt, StephinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
--G.K. Chesterson
I started this for Holly, I finished it for Maddy.
Coraline discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house.
We are small but we are many/
We are many we are small/
We were here before you rose/
We will be here when you fall
Coraline was woken by the midmorning sun, full on her face.
For a moment she felt utterly dislocated. She did not know where she was; she was not entirely sure who she was. It is astonishing just how much of what we are can be tied to the beds we wake up in in the morning, and it is astonishing how fragile that can be.
Coraline sighed. 'You really don't understand, do you?' she said. 'I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted? Just like that, and it didn't mean anything. What then?
The pale figues pulsed faintly; she could imagine that they were nothing more than afterimages, like the glow left by a bright light in you eyes, after the lights go out.
Please do not combine Coraline with the graphic novel adaptation Coraline nor with the film.

Shortly after moving into an old house with strange tenants above and below, Coraline discovers a big, carved, brown wooden door at the far corner of the drawing room. And it is locked. Curiosity runs riot in Coraline's mind and she unlocks the door to see what lies behind it. Disappointingly, it opens onto a brick wall. Days later, after exploring the rest of the house and garden, Coraline returns to the same mysterious door and opens it again. This time, however, there is a dark hallway in front of her. Stepping inside, the place beyond has an eerie familiarity about it. The carpet and wallpaper are the same as in her flat. The picture hanging on the wall is the same. Almost. Strangest of all, her mum and dad are there too. Only they have buttons for eyes and seem more possessive than normal. It's a twisted version of her world that is familiar, and yet sinister. And matters get even more surreal for Coraline when her "other" parents seem reluctant to let her leave.

4 2067

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,623,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible