Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Coraline (edition 2002)

by Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean (Illustrator)

Member:geophile
Title:Coraline
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Dave McKean (Illustrator)
Info:First Scholastic Printing (2002), Edition: 1, Paperback, 162 pages
Collections:Your library, Guest Room, Children's literature
Tags:Fantasy, Horror stories, Children's literature, Parent and child, Courage, Supernatural

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (timspalding)
    timspalding: If Coraline doesn't quite live up to the hype, don't give up on Gaiman. Fragile Things is simply stunning.
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (littlegeek)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (infiniteletters)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (moonsoar)
    The 13 Clocks by James Thurber (Bookshop_Lady)
    Bookshop_Lady: "Coraline" is creepy and might be too creepy for some kids. "The Thirteen Clocks" has a few creepy moments but overall is a light-hearted fairy tale. They're very different books and tell very different stories. But for all that, I believe older children/young teens who enjoy one of these books will probably enjoy both.… (more)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Clockwork by Philip Pullman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both books are for children, but still manage to be dark and horrifying for all ages.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (foggidawn)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (edeninwonderland)
    The Wikkeling by Steven Arntson (foggidawn)
    Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Slightly older YA, and a full novel. But the same theme, children move into a new place and discover a creepy 'fairy world' thats hard to escape.
    The House With a Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs (starfishpaws)
    The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand (_Zoe_)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Count Karlstein by Philip Pullman (norabelle414)
    Secret Creatures by Jenny Nimmo (Bitter_Grace)
    Wildwood by Colin Meloy (DieFledermaus)

English (509)  German (5)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (527)
The big theme in this book, at least in my opinion, is that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. In fact, the other side can be quite terrifying! Coraline is feeling bored and a little left out by her parents who seem to spend most of their time working. School is still out for the summer so to pass the time, she discovers this passageway. The passageway leads to an alternate universe of sorts where her parents are extremely attentive, even overly so. Eventually she starts to realize that this is not what she wanted at all and that’s where the terror begins. Although this book wasn’t really scary, it did have it’s moments. I loved Gaiman’s imagery and attention to detail. My favorite character was probably the cat. Who doesn’t want a talking cat?! ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
A children’s book, by Neil Gaiman, Coraline (not Caroline—Thanks you) has moved into an old mansion that has been divided up into apartments. In the drawing room is a locked door. Coraline's, the curious, adventurous girl that she is, wonders what's behind that door. It reveals only a brick wall when she finally opens it, but when she tries again later, a passageway mysteriously appears. Coraline finds herself in an apartment decorated exactly like her own, but slightly different. And then she finds her "other" parents in this alternate world, they are much more interesting (and interested in her) despite their creepy black button eyes. The “other” mother makes it clear that they want to make her theirs forever! Coraline begins a nightmarish game to rescue her real parents and three children imprisoned in a mirror and to bring them all back to the real world—with the help of stone and a talking cat. Neil Gaiman is one of favorite writer—he has a way of making things both appealing, creepy and horrifying all at the same time. I loved the character of Coraline—she is brave (“when you're scared but you still do it anyway, that's brave."), smart, curious and adventurous. Though I enjoyed the Graveyard Book more—I still would highly recommend this book. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Jul 21, 2016 |
Well! That was quick. A freebie I got from my neighborhood Little Free Library, read in one free (leap) day! Courageous kid in a creepy (but carefully not too scary) story, a good read. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jul 17, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. I picked it up after seeing the film version. The book is a lot darker and it is definitely the kind of story that would have intrigued me as a kid. Lessons learned including realizing that your parents may be boring bad cooks who ignore you from time to time, but there are worse parents out there. I also like the idea of a young child outsmarting an adult and being her own hero as well as the hero for others. It's empowering at its very core and the creepiness and bits of violence and gore make it an awesome read for kids with a darker taste in literature. ( )
  RojaHorchata | Jul 11, 2016 |
Review: Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

I enjoyed this book and I believe everyone should read a young adult/Children’s story once in a while. It makes you feel young…Gaiman’s descriptive writing leaves a young person to perceive that not all that goes wrong will not last forever, changes and choices can happen.

The story is about a young girl named Coraline and her family moving to a new location and Coraline goes exploring the building. There is one room in there apartment, the elaborate visiting room that is meant for visitors only. Corline seems to be alright with that rule but there is one door that is locked and her curiosity gets the best of her. She keeps asking her parents, “What’s behind this door”? They claimed that it’s just a brick wall that leads to an empty apartment just like their’s on the other side of the door. At one time her mother unlocked the door to show Coraline the brick wall.

One day Coraline is frustrated and she goes to her parents and tells them she is bored. They only send her to find something to do so they can work. Coraline is lonely…..The apartment above her lives an older man who has mice for pets. Down below her is two elderly ladies who were at one time showgirls. She makes herself known to them and they get along just fine. One day her parents were out and Coraline decides to get the key to the door and look once again at the brick wall. She struggles to reach the key where her parents keep it but with some stretching she manages to get it down. As she slips the key into the lock she hesitates and than quickly opens the door and to her surprise….a dark long hallway is before her.

Her curiosity is stronger then ever now, she takes small steps down the hall and there is another door at the end…unlocked. She opens the door into another apartment just like hers and people who look like her parents greet her. There is one small problem, they have black button eyes. They claim to be her other parents and want her to stay with them. Coraline’s adventure of exploring doesn’t quite go as she plans. Coraline even checks out the neighbors and she found the elderly man raising rats who her other parents call their friends and the two elderly ladies apartment is like a theater with a stage where they look young and perform like showgirls. Her adventure into the outdoors looks the same as her real home does but there is a black cat that follows her around and he talks….They become friends. As the story goes on she realizes all she wants is to go home but when she opens the door the brick wall was back. Now she is forced to stay the night with her other parents. They tell her she will be with them forever….

Well, between Coraline and the black cat they struggle to find a way back to her real home and parents. How does she and the black cat manipulate her other parents so that she can go home? Does she make it home..? Will the black cat help her..? Read on….! ( )
1 vote Juan-banjo | Jun 22, 2016 |
A modern ghost story with all the creepy trimmings... Well done.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times (Aug 11, 2001)

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Braiter, PaulinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ernst, EnricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merritt, StephinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
--G.K. Chesterson
I started this for Holly, I finished it for Maddy.
Coraline discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house.
We are small but we are many/
We are many we are small/
We were here before you rose/
We will be here when you fall
Coraline was woken by the midmorning sun, full on her face.
For a moment she felt utterly dislocated. She did not know where she was; she was not entirely sure who she was. It is astonishing just how much of what we are can be tied to the beds we wake up in in the morning, and it is astonishing how fragile that can be.
Coraline sighed. 'You really don't understand, do you?' she said. 'I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted? Just like that, and it didn't mean anything. What then?
The pale figues pulsed faintly; she could imagine that they were nothing more than afterimages, like the glow left by a bright light in you eyes, after the lights go out.
Please do not combine Coraline with the graphic novel adaptation Coraline nor with the film.

Shortly after moving into an old house with strange tenants above and below, Coraline discovers a big, carved, brown wooden door at the far corner of the drawing room. And it is locked. Curiosity runs riot in Coraline's mind and she unlocks the door to see what lies behind it. Disappointingly, it opens onto a brick wall. Days later, after exploring the rest of the house and garden, Coraline returns to the same mysterious door and opens it again. This time, however, there is a dark hallway in front of her. Stepping inside, the place beyond has an eerie familiarity about it. The carpet and wallpaper are the same as in her flat. The picture hanging on the wall is the same. Almost. Strangest of all, her mum and dad are there too. Only they have buttons for eyes and seem more possessive than normal. It's a twisted version of her world that is familiar, and yet sinister. And matters get even more surreal for Coraline when her "other" parents seem reluctant to let her leave.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061139378, Paperback)

Coraline lives with her preoccupied parents in part of a huge old house--a house so huge that other people live in it, too... round, old former actresses Miss Spink and Miss Forcible and their aging Highland terriers ("We trod the boards, luvvy") and the mustachioed old man under the roof ("'The reason you cannot see the mouse circus,' said the man upstairs, 'is that the mice are not yet ready and rehearsed.'") Coraline contents herself for weeks with exploring the vast garden and grounds. But with a little rain she becomes bored--so bored that she begins to count everything blue (153), the windows (21), and the doors (14). And it is the 14th door that--sometimes blocked with a wall of bricks--opens up for Coraline into an entirely alternate universe. Now, if you're thinking fondly of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, you're on the wrong track. Neil Gaiman's Coraline is far darker, far stranger, playing on our deepest fears. And, like Roald Dahl's work, it is delicious.

What's on the other side of the door? A distorted-mirror world, containing presumably everything Coraline has ever dreamed of... people who pronounce her name correctly (not "Caroline"), delicious meals (not like her father's overblown "recipes"), an unusually pink and green bedroom (not like her dull one), and plenty of horrible (very un-boring) marvels, like a man made out of live rats. The creepiest part, however, is her mirrored parents, her "other mother" and her "other father"--people who look just like her own parents, but with big, shiny, black button eyes, paper-white skin... and a keen desire to keep her on their side of the door. To make creepy creepier, Coraline has been illustrated masterfully in scritchy, terrifying ink drawings by British mixed-media artist and Sandman cover illustrator Dave McKean. This delightful, funny, haunting, scary as heck, fairy-tale novel is about as fine as they come. Highly recommended. (Ages 11 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures through a mysterious door into a world that is similar, yet disturbingly different from her own, where she must challenge a gruesome entity in order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,460,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible