Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Title:Coraline
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Harper Perennial (2006), Paperback, 192 pages

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Recently added byRachelRY, Richard54, private library, Louanne.Jacobs, Gika, pieandsunshine, BrokenTune, cooperkw, twalley
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (timspalding)
    timspalding: If Coraline doesn't quite live up to the hype, don't give up on Gaiman. Fragile Things is simply stunning.
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (littlegeek)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (infiniteletters)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (moonsoar)
    The 13 Clocks by James Thurber (Bookshop_Lady)
    Bookshop_Lady: "Coraline" is creepy and might be too creepy for some kids. "The Thirteen Clocks" has a few creepy moments but overall is a light-hearted fairy tale. They're very different books and tell very different stories. But for all that, I believe older children/young teens who enjoy one of these books will probably enjoy both.… (more)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Clockwork by Philip Pullman (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Both books are for children, but still manage to be dark and horrifying for all ages.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (foggidawn)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (edeninwonderland)
    The Wikkeling by Steven Arntson (foggidawn)
    Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Slightly older YA, and a full novel. But the same theme, children move into a new place and discover a creepy 'fairy world' thats hard to escape.
    The House With a Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs (starfishpaws)
    The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand (_Zoe_)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Count Karlstein by Philip Pullman (norabelle414)
    Secret Creatures by Jenny Nimmo (Bitter_Grace)
    Wildwood by Colin Meloy (DieFledermaus)

English (509)  German (5)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (527)
The story begins with Coraline Jones' move into an apartment in an old house with her parents. The neighbors include two elderly retired actresses and a man who lives upstairs Coraline is very bored and ignored/neglected by parents. They both work at home doing "computery stuff". Coraline discovers a door with a brick wall behind it. Drawn to the door the next time Coraline opens it there's a hallway. Coraline goes through the door, and she ends up in an entirely different world: it's kind of like her own, but just a little off. Thinking this other world is strange she heads back home.and discovers her parents are missing, They have been kidnapped and Coraline will have to go back into the other world to rescue them.

Grades: 5-8

Classroom use: Comparing Heroines, Literary elements-setting, plot, theme, characterization, narration/point of view, and foreshadow. As well as cross-discipline use: Art (illustrate your own "Other World"), SS create a map of Coraline's house/world, Science investigate animals found in story (rats are they smart?)
  GEMaguire | Jul 24, 2016 |
Let me just start off by saying that I absolutely love Neil Gaiman. The man is amazing, and I will read just about anything he writes. I started my journey into the world of Gaiman with American Gods and Anansi Boys and was hooked from there on out. I just recently decided to meander through his "children's" books starting with The Graveyard Book and moving on to Coraline.
I was always a fan of reading scary stories with my brother as a child, and this would have been right up our alley. What is scary to a child than the thought of losing their parents or suddenly having their parents replaced by something so entirely other.
Neil Gaiman is a master of sucking you into whichever world he decides to create, so it was easy to fall into this eery place of other mothers and fathers and button eyes and talking cats. I've read several Stephen King novels and as previously mentioned my fair share of scary stories, but I can honestly say that this tops them all. It is one of those creepy tales that sticks with you, popping up in the middle of the night to make you take another look under your bed or leave an extra light on just in case.
Few books are more suited for story time on a brisk October night. Highly recommended for people of all ages. ( )
  Nicole_13 | Jul 24, 2016 |
The big theme in this book, at least in my opinion, is that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. In fact, the other side can be quite terrifying! Coraline is feeling bored and a little left out by her parents who seem to spend most of their time working. School is still out for the summer so to pass the time, she discovers this passageway. The passageway leads to an alternate universe of sorts where her parents are extremely attentive, even overly so. Eventually she starts to realize that this is not what she wanted at all and that’s where the terror begins. Although this book wasn’t really scary, it did have it’s moments. I loved Gaiman’s imagery and attention to detail. My favorite character was probably the cat. Who doesn’t want a talking cat?! ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
A children’s book, by Neil Gaiman, Coraline (not Caroline—Thanks you) has moved into an old mansion that has been divided up into apartments. In the drawing room is a locked door. Coraline's, the curious, adventurous girl that she is, wonders what's behind that door. It reveals only a brick wall when she finally opens it, but when she tries again later, a passageway mysteriously appears. Coraline finds herself in an apartment decorated exactly like her own, but slightly different. And then she finds her "other" parents in this alternate world, they are much more interesting (and interested in her) despite their creepy black button eyes. The “other” mother makes it clear that they want to make her theirs forever! Coraline begins a nightmarish game to rescue her real parents and three children imprisoned in a mirror and to bring them all back to the real world—with the help of stone and a talking cat. Neil Gaiman is one of favorite writer—he has a way of making things both appealing, creepy and horrifying all at the same time. I loved the character of Coraline—she is brave (“when you're scared but you still do it anyway, that's brave."), smart, curious and adventurous. Though I enjoyed the Graveyard Book more—I still would highly recommend this book. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Jul 21, 2016 |
Well! That was quick. A freebie I got from my neighborhood Little Free Library, read in one free (leap) day! Courageous kid in a creepy (but carefully not too scary) story, a good read. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jul 17, 2016 |
A modern ghost story with all the creepy trimmings... Well done.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times (Aug 11, 2001)

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Braiter, PaulinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ernst, EnricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merritt, StephinComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
--G.K. Chesterson
I started this for Holly, I finished it for Maddy.
Coraline discovered the door a little while after they moved into the house.
We are small but we are many/
We are many we are small/
We were here before you rose/
We will be here when you fall
Coraline was woken by the midmorning sun, full on her face.
For a moment she felt utterly dislocated. She did not know where she was; she was not entirely sure who she was. It is astonishing just how much of what we are can be tied to the beds we wake up in in the morning, and it is astonishing how fragile that can be.
Coraline sighed. 'You really don't understand, do you?' she said. 'I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted? Just like that, and it didn't mean anything. What then?
The pale figues pulsed faintly; she could imagine that they were nothing more than afterimages, like the glow left by a bright light in you eyes, after the lights go out.
Please do not combine Coraline with the graphic novel adaptation Coraline nor with the film.

Shortly after moving into an old house with strange tenants above and below, Coraline discovers a big, carved, brown wooden door at the far corner of the drawing room. And it is locked. Curiosity runs riot in Coraline's mind and she unlocks the door to see what lies behind it. Disappointingly, it opens onto a brick wall. Days later, after exploring the rest of the house and garden, Coraline returns to the same mysterious door and opens it again. This time, however, there is a dark hallway in front of her. Stepping inside, the place beyond has an eerie familiarity about it. The carpet and wallpaper are the same as in her flat. The picture hanging on the wall is the same. Almost. Strangest of all, her mum and dad are there too. Only they have buttons for eyes and seem more possessive than normal. It's a twisted version of her world that is familiar, and yet sinister. And matters get even more surreal for Coraline when her "other" parents seem reluctant to let her leave.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061139378, Paperback)

Coraline lives with her preoccupied parents in part of a huge old house--a house so huge that other people live in it, too... round, old former actresses Miss Spink and Miss Forcible and their aging Highland terriers ("We trod the boards, luvvy") and the mustachioed old man under the roof ("'The reason you cannot see the mouse circus,' said the man upstairs, 'is that the mice are not yet ready and rehearsed.'") Coraline contents herself for weeks with exploring the vast garden and grounds. But with a little rain she becomes bored--so bored that she begins to count everything blue (153), the windows (21), and the doors (14). And it is the 14th door that--sometimes blocked with a wall of bricks--opens up for Coraline into an entirely alternate universe. Now, if you're thinking fondly of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, you're on the wrong track. Neil Gaiman's Coraline is far darker, far stranger, playing on our deepest fears. And, like Roald Dahl's work, it is delicious.

What's on the other side of the door? A distorted-mirror world, containing presumably everything Coraline has ever dreamed of... people who pronounce her name correctly (not "Caroline"), delicious meals (not like her father's overblown "recipes"), an unusually pink and green bedroom (not like her dull one), and plenty of horrible (very un-boring) marvels, like a man made out of live rats. The creepiest part, however, is her mirrored parents, her "other mother" and her "other father"--people who look just like her own parents, but with big, shiny, black button eyes, paper-white skin... and a keen desire to keep her on their side of the door. To make creepy creepier, Coraline has been illustrated masterfully in scritchy, terrifying ink drawings by British mixed-media artist and Sandman cover illustrator Dave McKean. This delightful, funny, haunting, scary as heck, fairy-tale novel is about as fine as they come. Highly recommended. (Ages 11 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures through a mysterious door into a world that is similar, yet disturbingly different from her own, where she must challenge a gruesome entity in order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,334,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible