Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky by…

Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky (original 1968; edition 1990)

by Elphinstone Dayrell, Blair Lent

Member:Kayla_Christopherson
Title:Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky
Authors:Elphinstone Dayrell
Other authors:Blair Lent
Info:Sandpiper (1990), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Traditional/ Folklore

Why the sun and the moon live in the sky by Elphinstone Dayrell (1968)

This book was interesting. I think it could have been better. I did like the pictures in the story and how they helped enhance the plot. The pictures seem to be very traditional. I can picture them together because they are so traditional. The plot is interesting to me because it is one way to think about the history of the water, sun, and moon and how they came to be where they are in life. I like the way that the author thinks this has occurred. I never would have thought it would have happened like this, obviously this isn't true, but as a fiction book, I have never heard of it happening this way. The big message of this book is that things happen for a reason. ( )
  Kpelli2 | Oct 16, 2018 |
The Sun and his wife, the moon, lived on Earth and built a large house so that the water people could visit. But so many poured in that they were forced to move to the sky.

The illustrations are detailed and follow a simple color scheme. This story can be used during a multicultural unit to introduce students to the concept of folklore. It can also show students some of the beliefs of the African culture. After reading this story, students could create their own folktale or share folktales that they know from their own culture. ( )
  Tori.Okosun | Apr 22, 2018 |
This book educates us on the Nigerian culture's origin of how the Sun and the moon came to live in the sky. The Sun build a house and invited all his friends but there were too many friends. They overflowed and the sun was pushing into the sky with the moon. You can use this with younger children because they have curious minds and always have questions about these kinds of topics. ( )
  MiriamHailey | Mar 12, 2018 |
This book explains a differents cultures origin of how the sun and water are great friends. By building a great house the sun was able to entertain his friendsd, but his friends were too many in number and overflowed the top pof the roof and forced the sun and moon to remain in the sky. ( )
  Rmendez11 | Feb 26, 2018 |
I found this book very interesting. It was about how the sun and the moon came to the sky and why water overflows on the earth. I also related it to how water can consume a certain place. This would be a good book for kindergarten because they love to ask questions and this could simply answer why the sun and the moon live in the sky. it could also work as a book for 3rd or 4th graders when they are learning about volume in science. ( )
  jessrobinson19 | Feb 11, 2018 |
This is a great way to integrate multiculturalism into the classroom. It is also a great way to talk about why things are the way they are. Students will enjoy these books. It can also be an found as an e-book.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Elphinstone Dayrellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lent, BlairIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many years ago the sun and water were great friends, and both lived on the earth together.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:30 -0400)

An African folktale tells how the sun and water once lived on earth as friends, but because the sun failed to build his house large enough, he and his wife, the moon, were driven into the sky when the water came to visit them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,584,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible