Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter…

Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter (2007)

by Terri Irwin

207856,585 (3.98)3

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All (8)
Just a beautiful book about a wonderful man. ( )
  K3ndra28 | Nov 15, 2016 |
This book is for everyone. Anyone interested in wildlife, environmental conservation, this great planet earth. Steve's legacy is one that has touched everyone I know in one way or another, and this book reminds you just how much. It brings to light all of Steve's work, and shows the impact he made. It proves just how much he did in a very short period of time. It inspires.

It brings you back in focus. Life can cause us to look other ways, and focus on less important things, but this book brings us back to the important things. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
What a life! What a way to go! I wish the family well. ( )
  koalamom | Sep 9, 2010 |
This is a wonderful and touching tribute to the life of Steve Irwin, written by his wife, Terri. Reading this really made me appreciate Steve and miss him all over again. Terri is an incredible person and the love she and Steve shared really shines through in this book. Be prepared to cry before this book ends. ( )
  mandolin | Feb 26, 2009 |
I have to say that I belive that Steve Irwin was a very lucky guy, despite his early demise. In addition to living life as he wanted dedicated to the wildlife (particularly crocodiles) he was given the unique opportunity to become an icon to environmentalists around the world. He also found the perfect person to stand at his side through it all. I have to admire Terri Irwin. There are not many of us who would sacrifice everything; a thriving business, an important role in saving animals in her own community, a home, family and a country. Neither could I picture allowing my husband to totally take over my life the way Terri appears to have done. Although from the way this book has been written to Terri it didn't seem to be too much of a sacrifice.

I knew going in to this story that parts would be sad. Not just because I already knew how Steve died, but because whenever you tell true stories of animals and conservation, they're always sad. The good thing here, which I was most grateful for, is that Mrs. Irwin concentrated mostly on the good parts of her time with Steve. The adventures she experienced with Steve certainly aren't anything I would ever, ever do myself however interesting reading about them would be. Despite the fact that there were some sad parts, overall I would say this is a happy book until the last few chapters. Outside of Steve's death it was troubling to learn about the "Baby Bob" incident and the criticism of Steve's foray to the Antarctic along with the agony the family went through as a result of the media frenzy accompanying these events. You can feel how hard all of these things were for Terri. Although their family beliefs about being "Wildlife Warriors" seem a bit outrageous and overwhelming (to me) I've always believed in the live and let live adage whether it be in religion or, in this case, the cause of conservation environmentalism.

This book wasn't perfectly written, having some redundancy of sentences and events which could have been edited better. This didn't surprise me. Terri wasn't born to be a writer, although I still think she did an admirable job here, she was born to be a dedicated environmentalist and the perfect partner to her beloved husband.

More than simply the "mad Aussie bloke" I've always considered Steve Irwin to have been it was nice to discover that he was also a loving family man, a spiritualist (finding life's answers while fire gazing has to be an indication of spiritualism in my book) and a truly caring friend. My favorite story was when Terri related Steve's concern that their movie publicist didn't have a girlfriend and offered to "take him out and pull in chicks for him". Steve didn't even miss a step once Terri told him that the man in question was gay and re-offered to pull in blokes instead (this part being much funnier in the book than in my abbreviated rendition!)

This book was obviously written from the heart and I can honestly say I feel for this woman who has lost her soul mate, but has decided to carry on in his name for the good of the animals they loved and the ideals they held. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Oct 19, 2008 |
Entreat me not to leave you
Or to return from following you;
For where you go I will go,
And where you lodge I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God my God;
Where you die I will die,
And there will I be buried.
May the Lord do so to me
And more also
If even death parts me from you.

―Ruth 1:16
To our children, Bindi and Robert.
Keep these three things in your hearts: faith, because it can move
mountains; hope, because it keeps you going no matter what;
and love, the greatest of all. Love never dies.
Daddy and I will love you both forever.
[Foreword]
I am extremely honored to be asked to write a few words about Steve, and it's only fitting that I was asked on Steve's research boat, Croc One, while conducting research on estuarine crocodiles with a team from Australia Zoo.
The name of the zoo was the Queensland Reptile and Fauna Park.

Terri Raines took a vacation from her wildlife rescue work in Oregon, traveled to Australia, and there, at a small wildlife park, she met and fell in love with a tall, blond force of nature named Steve Irwin. They were married in less than a year, and Terri eagerly joined in Steve's conservation work. The footage of their crocodile-trapping honeymoon became the first episode of The Crocodile Hunter, and together, Steve and Terri began to change the world. Here Terri recounts the adventures they shared--wrangling snakes, saving crocodiles from poachers, swimming among whales. A gifted naturalist, Steve was first and foremost dedicated to rescuing endangered animals and educating everyone he could reach about the importance of conservation. In the hit TV shows that continue to be broadcast worldwide, Steve's enthusiasm lives on.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,725,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible