The Black Widow Agency by Felicia Donovan

The Black Widow Agency (2007)

by Felicia Donovan

I originally chose this book to read because, according to www.stopyourekillingme.com, it was set in New Hampshire, so it was going to be my New Hampshire selection for the A Mystery for Every State project I've been doing. However, there was, I think, only one brief mention of the location, and no real local color, so I'll be looking elsewhere for the New Hampshire entry.

For what appears to be a first novel, a mystery that almost borders on fantasy (not the supernatural kind) and uses an urban legend as one of the plot points, this book was pretty good. The four women who make up the Black Widow Agency all have their reasons for using their talents to help wronged women. The villains are maybe a little too over-the-top villainous, there's a little too much cliché chocolate frenzy for my taste, but these minor flaws didn't spoil the book for me. I quite enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, light, non-violent read. ( )
  auntieknickers | Jun 5, 2013 |
This book first came to my attention when I attended Bouchercon 2008 in Baltimore and attended a panel discussion that included the author. I was drawn to the technological aspect of the stories and the strong female roles. The book fairly met my expectations. The women were diverse and the story entertaining. I did find myself becoming annoyed with Katie midway through the book, but the author did a nice job of showing that her flaws had repercussions. Parts of the ending had too much of a putting a big red bow on something and making everybody happy, but for a first time novelist this was a really good story. I am looking forward to reading the second book and seeing how these ladies develop. ( )
  LittleTaiko | Jan 4, 2009 |

The ladies at the Black Widow Agency aim to bring justice to wronged women like themselves, using a lethal blend of computer forensics, surveillance technology, and women's intuition. When the Black Widows hear Amber Gordon's heartbreaking story of sexual harassment, ending in a ruined career and lost custody of her daughter, they vow to spin a trap for the sexist automotive company run by Amber's former father-in-law.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,689,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible