Tigre blanco (Rocabolsillo Ficcion) (Spanish…

Tigre blanco (Rocabolsillo Ficcion) (Spanish Edition) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Aravind Adiga

Title:Tigre blanco (Rocabolsillo Ficcion) (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Aravind Adiga
Info:Roca (2009), Edición: Tra, Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:India, humor ironico, realismo social

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (2008)

Q & A by Vikas Swarup (VaterOlsen, 2810michael)
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (jtho)
    jtho: Another great story set in India that shows us both the seedy sides and the beauty.
    The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I happened to be reading this YA title simultaneously, and was surprised/pleased to find that the two books went together quite well. Similarly charismatic narrator and several of the same themes.
    The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (Cecilturtle)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Both novels look at the dire side of life in India, and both are very well written.
    Reef by Romesh Gunesekera (SqueakyChu, chrisharpe)
    SqueakyChu: Another book, this one much quieter, about a man's desire to move up in society.
    A Good Man in Africa by William Boyd (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Amusing Rogue protagonists
    The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: First-person narratives of growing disenchantment
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (chrisharpe)
    Native Son by Richard Wright (Miss-Owl)
    The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These evocative novels discuss the social inequities and corruption endemic to modern India. Their complex characters and strong sense of place provide thought-provoking ways to understand the current state of the subcontinent, even as they tell about individual lives.… (more)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Amusing Rogue protagonists
    The African Safari Papers by Robert Sedlack (mcenroeucsb)
    The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar (mcenroeucsb)
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed Hanif (Anonymous user)
    Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Modern India in a nutshell. Adiga is an accomplished writer.
    Chef: A Novel by Jaspreet Singh (Clara53)
    The Taker And Other Stories by Rubem Fonseca (gonzobrarian)
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (infiniteletters)

English (298)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (323)
The Chinese Premier is planning a visit to India to investigate how entrepreneurship works there. In a series of letters, Balram Halwai, a poor man from "The Darkness" describes the system. Perpetual servitude is the rule in India, where millions of impoverished people of "The Darkness" are trapped. The analogy of the white tiger at the zoo demonstrates that imprisonment. Balram takes matters into his own hands eventually creating his own "startup". Is socialism on the way? Has entrepreneurship succeeded? Or has Balram just joined the bosses. This excellent novel, winner of the Booker prize in 2008, is by turns ribald, funny and yet ultimately disheartening. The reader cheers for the amenable Balram but there is no way out. ( )
  VivienneR | Sep 30, 2015 |
Took me just a day to finish the book. Prime reason : I skipped many pages. The writer is literally swearing at India, My country in every single page. I accept we aren't perfect. But I feel the writer has gone overboard. Especially with that Boozing and sleeping in class part. I really regret picking this book up and reading. ( )
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
I feel so limited by these stars! This is probably a 3.5, but it is so hard to put numbers to things. I liked it for many reasons, but I can't say I loved it. It is the type of book that I would rather talk about than write about! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
This is a really funny book that was even better on audio than I imagine it would be in print. It's the self-narrated story of Balram in a series of letters written to the Chinese Premier about how he rose from the slums of India to be an entrepreneur. His observations about life as a poor man in India are irreverent and hilarious but also pretty revealing.

This book is a little out of my comfort zone, but I really enjoyed it, especially as an audiobook. Its dark humor makes some uncomfortable topics bearable but doesn't gloss over the dark side of life in India's rigid caste system.

Thanks to Nickelini for picking this book off my shelf for me to read this year when I asked! ( )
1 vote japaul22 | Aug 11, 2015 |
It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did I enjoyed it. It was a wonderful commentary on Indian society, and written in a way that was very readable. I enjoyed both the direct and indirect commentary that the author made on the culture of India. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
It's a thrilling ride through a rising global power; a place where, we learn, the brutality of the modern city is compounded by that of age-old tradition. "In the old days there were one thousand castes and destinies in India," says Balram. "These days there are two castes: Men with Big Bellies, and Men with Small Bellies."
added by mikeg2 | editThe Independent, David Mattin (May 11, 2008)

Aravind Adigaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rey, Santiago delTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ramin Bahrani
Mr. Premier, Sir. Neither you nor I speak English, but there are some things that can be said only in English.
“The jails of Delhi are full of drivers who are there behind bars because they are taking the blame for their good, solid middle-class masters. We have left the villages but the masters still own us, bodies, souls, and arse. Yes, that’s right: we all live in one of the world’s greatest democracies. What a fucking joke.”
A rich man's body is like a premium cotton pillow, white and soft and blank. Ours are different. My father's spine was a knotted rope, the kind that women use in villages to pull water from wells; the clavicle curved around his neck in high relief, like a dog's collar; cuts and nicks and scars, like little whip marks in his flesh, ran down his chest and waist, reaching down below his hip bones into his buttocks. The story of a poor man's life is written on his body, in sharp pen.
The book of your revolution sits in the pit of your belly, young Indian. Crap it out, and read

Balram Halwai is the White Tiger - the smartest boy in his village. His family is too poor for him to afford for him to finish school and he has to work in a teashop, breaking coals and wiping tables. But Balram gets his break when a rich man hires him as a chauffeur, and takes him to live in Delhi. The city is a revelation. As he drives his master to shopping malls and call centres, Balram becomes increasingly aware of immense wealth and opportunity all around him, while knowing that he will never be able to gain access to that world. As Balram broods over his situation, he realizes that there is only one way he can become part of this glamorous new India - by murdering his master."The White Tiger" presents a raw and unromanticised India, both thrilling and shocking - from the desperate, almost lawless villages along the Ganges, to the booming Wild South of Bangalore and its technology and outsourcing centres. The first-person confession of a murderer, "The White Tiger" is as compelling for its subject matter as for the voice of its narrator - amoral, cynical, unrepentant, yet deeply endearing.

Balram Halwai is a complicated man. Servant. Philosopher. Entrepreneur. Murderer. Over the course of seven nights, by the scattered light of a preposterous chandelier, Balram tells the terrible and transfixing story of how he came to be a success in life--having nothing but his own wits to help him along.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,668,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible