Sahara by Michael Palin

Sahara (2002)

by Michael Palin

My first book by this wonderful travel author. How has he eluded me for so long? Michael Palin is that perfect mix of an excellent observer of all that is discordant and wise and genuine combined with a fearless desire to visit places others fear to trod. Happy to have discovered this new-to-me author. ( )
  debnance | Nov 10, 2012 |
This a book that details Palin's trip through the Sahara. There is a BBC show by the same name. This book gives a daily account of this trip, places Palin went and the people he met on his journey. This book gives a little insight on the region and the difficulties that the region faces. ( )
  foof2you | Oct 25, 2010 |
You probably would have guessed by now that I really enjoy reading Michael Palin’s travel books. That would be correct, I find them a delightful way to reminisce after watching the accompanying TV series as they give a lot more insight and background.

Did you know that Sahara was filmed in two parts? Or that 9/11 occurred while they were in the middle of the Sahara and didn’t see any footage for days? How many times did the crew get food poisoning?

You’ll find all this and more in Palin’s meticulous (but never boring) travel diaries. Covering the trip across the Sahara in a variety of means and meeting a number of people, it’s a fascinating armchair ride. His language paints a very detailed picture in your mind.

I didn’t enjoy this as much as Around the World in Eighty Days but that’s probably because I’m not as interested in Africa. But if you’re an Africa fan, you’ll love this. ( )
  birdsam0610 | Aug 17, 2010 |
Distance-wise, this is oe of Palin's smaller undertakings, yet the harsh climate offers other challenges. Armed with his usual good humour and curious knack for finding the funny side of every situation, Palin embarks on his fifth journey. ( )
  Tselja | Feb 25, 2010 |
This book is the companion to the Sahara travel series that Michael Palin filmed in 2001. I’ve seen the last half of the series, so I had a certain visual frame of reference for some of the book that I didn’t have for the rest. (Though there were a number of photos included in the book that served to fill in a number blanks.)

The book follows a vaguely circular journey beginning in Gibraltar and moving through Morocco, the Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal, Mali, Niger, Algeria, Libya and Tunisia before returning through Morocco to Gibraltar.

Anyone familiar with Michael Palin from his Monty Python days will expect a degree of humor in this book, and it’s definitely there, in understated form. His observations of the local cultures are pointed and interesting. I’ve enjoyed all of the travel shows he’s done, and definitely recommend them to anyone. This is the only companion book I’ve seen for any of the shows, but I’d definitely consider picking up any others if I saw them.

I think I enjoyed the inclusion of Libya in this journey the most of any section of this book, not because it’s necessarily the most interesting part of the journey, but because he makes a point to go there and describe it, and I seriously doubt any American in his position would have done so. Secondarily likewise for the Western Sahara. I doubt many people would have given a second glance to such a political no man’s land. ( )
  megaelim | Jan 9, 2009 |
For Helen, Tom, Will and Rachel
Only 300 miles from the Sahara Desert there is a place where brass bands play, warm beer is served and a blue lamp marks the police station.
My father was in charge of the Export Department of a steelworks and every Christmas he received an enormous box of dates from their agent in Algeria, addressed to a Mr. E. M. Palm. (Introduction)
I'm glad to be home, but in the all-moving, all-talking mayhem of modern life, my restless thoughts go back to that great place of silence and apparently infinite space. (Afterword)

Michael Palin's travel books have repeatedly topped the bestseller lists. In this book he is back at his adventurous best tie-ing in with a major BBC TV series. The book/series will travel through many countries little known to the West, providing opportunities for Palinesque adventures to please the large and loyal audience who followed 80 DAYS, POLE TO POLE and FULL CIRCLE.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:59 -0400)

Michael Palin's stunning new travel book to accompany a four-part prime time BBC TV series.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible