The Black Rood (The Celtic Crusades #2) by…

The Black Rood (The Celtic Crusades #2) (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Stephen R. Lawhead

Member:tajohnson
Title:The Black Rood (The Celtic Crusades #2)
Authors:Stephen R. Lawhead
Info:Eos (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 624 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Historical Fiction

The Black Rood by Stephen R. Lawhead (2000)

English (7)  German (1)  All languages (8)
Although I enjoy the topic this series are about as I love reading about history, I didn't find this one to be all that engaging. I felt aspects of it dragged on too much, and the most enjoyable parts for me were the parts about Gordon, rather than Duncan. I am still looking forward to reading the third installment, and I adore Lawhead, but I am unfortunately not enjoying this trilogy as much as I'd like to. ( )
  ashooles | Jun 17, 2013 |
These books are completely engaging and also a wonderful addition to anyone's bookshelf who enjoys medieval times. ( )
  journeyguy | Apr 2, 2013 |
Delivering lots of action and adventure, The Black Rood is the 2nd book in Stephen Lawhead’s Celtic Crusades trilogy.

Starting in 1132 on the Orkney Islands, this book is narrated by Duncan, the son of Murdo, who was the main character of the first book. Duncan learns some of his father’s story and decides to go on a pilgrimage to the Holy Lands. He swears that he will recover a pieces of the holy cross, called the black rood, and bring the relic back to the Orkneys to rest with the Lance of Christ that his father brought home. With a small band of companions he sets off on his quest.

The author includes a lot of information about the different peoples and religions that existed in the Middle East at that time. I also found the early parts of the book, the actual traveling through Europe to Marseilles to take ship to the Holy Land very interesting. A well-researched yet still lively read, that both informs and entertains. I look forward to the final volume in the trilogy. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 8, 2011 |
Read it, liked it. Finally learned what the word "rood" meant. I'll get the last one. I figure the last should likely be about the Grail. It's a weird three level story though. We have our hero who is living the current story, who is also writing an account of his adventures to date, and then there is a 20th century attorney who is reading the entire completed chronicle, nine hundred years later. ( )
  Neilsantos | Oct 8, 2010 |
Second in the "Celtic Crusades" trilogy - but this trilogy also follows on from [Patrick: Son of Ireland] in some ways. The book is Lawhead's usual mix of well researched history and a good dose of fiction filling in the gaps.

Duncan, son of Murdo: Lord of Caithness, sets out on pilgrimage to the Holy Land following the death of his wife in childbirth of their second child. He vows to find and bring home the Black Rood - the true cross of Christ. This book recapitulates much of the former book (The Iron Lance). We have the journey to the Holy Land, broadening of horizons, disillusionment, capture, escape and a little bit of treasure hunting on the side. However the first book was better than this one as it had a more human conflict that had to be resolved also in the form of the greedy bishop of Orkneyjar. This book lacked that tension. ( )
  sirfurboy | Jun 23, 2009 |
Druga knjiga Lohedove trilogije prati doživljaje mladog Dankana, koji se upustio u potrafu za delom Časnog krsta. U toj potrazi pridružuje mu se neobični irski sveštenik i jermenski princ, koji pokušava da se vrati u svoju domovinu. Kada njih trojica stignu do Mediterana, shvataju da im brige tek počinju: neprijateljski raspoloženi templari, zavađene hrišćanske velmože i Turci Seldžuci samo su deo nevolja koje Dankan i njegovi prijatelji moraju prevazići kako bi im se u rukama našao – crni krst.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Stephen R. Lawheadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Posen, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Serbian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
The summons came while I was sitting at my desk.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061051101, Mass Market Paperback)

The Celtic Crusades is a trilogy of stories about a noble Scottish family whose successive generations venture to the Holy Land at the time of the Crusades to retrieve sacred relics. In the first book, The Iron Lance, Murdo Ranulfson went to Jerusalem and brought back the iron lance used at the crucifixion. Now Duncan, Murdo's son, must find and preserve the Black Rood--a piece of the true cross. As in The Iron Lance, the main narrative is framed by the memoirs of Gordon Murray, nineteenth century scion of the ancient Scottish clan and member of a Christian secret society whose mission is to bring the world back to the true path.

This middle volume follows a format familiar to fantasy readers: an unformed youth leaves home to find himself and fulfill his destiny. In his travels through distant and dangerous lands, our hero rescues and is rescued by a series of quirky characters who join his quest, encountering divine visions, politics in the court of the Caliph, and cult assassins. He returns from his adventures older and wiser, triumphantly clutching the Black Rood, and accompanied, as an added bonus, by a new and beautiful wife.

Lawhead sprinkles his tale with delicious hints about revelations regarding the potential offspring of Jesus, which, if expanded upon in the final volume, threaten to elevate this fiction from competent to genuinely intriguing. --Luc Duplessis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:10 -0400)

In the second volume of this trilogy, Duncan reunites with an uncle who appears from the East with tales of a holy relic called the Black Rood, the blood-stained remnant of the True Cross that is endangered by ruthless crusader barons. When tragedy strikes Duncan's life, he sets off to Jerusalem on his own pilgrimage.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible