Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely) by Melissa Marr

Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely) (edition 2009)

by Melissa Marr

Member:TaraMartin
Title:Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely)
Authors:Melissa Marr
Info:HarperCollins (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

English (105)  Finnish (1)  All languages (106)
Now that I've listened to Ink Exchange, some of the changes in Darkest Mercy make me smile. I'm glad Leslie was able to fight back. ( )
  JalenV | Aug 23, 2015 |
First off, I'd suggest reading this only after reading the first book in the series, Wicked Lovely. Ink Exchange focuses on different characters than Wicked Lovely, and the story stands on its own; but Marr did most of her world-building in her first book. I was about halfway through Ink Exchange before I figuratively threw up my hands, paused in reading it, got Wicked Lovely from the library, read it, and then finished Ink Exchange.

And did I like this book? Well, not as much as Wicked Lovely, but it was still an entertaining read. After all, I did finish reading it after that pause. It was more about addiction, which just doesn't interest me that much as a topic. I liked that even though Leslie was in a bad situation and often not in control of her life, she still kept insisting on making her own decisions as much as she was able, rather than relying on other people to rescue her. I'm still interested enough in the series to want to read at least the third book. (Neither of these books ends on a cliffhanger, so don't worry about reading this and being left up in the air about what happens to Leslie.) ( )
  Silvernfire | Aug 22, 2015 |
had to return to library before finishing. Still hope to take audio-book back out and finish.
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
1/4 way review: Dark, disturbing, and confusing (since I read Wicked Lovely about 2 years ago) Apparently, there are enough details that I've forgotten that this book is pretty difficult to follow. It's vocabulary is also way up there, and I find myself looking up a lot of words in my ipod dictionary. I'm halfway through, and I'm considering giving up because I just don't understand the concept of fairies "nourishing" on the negative feelings of mortals....is this a physical act? It keeps the fairies from "starving...." I just really can't visualize this whole process and I wonder if it's supposed to make sense by now and won't get any clearer...

Finished review: I persevered through the issues explained above, and I'm SO lucky that I did! This novel is so engrossing that I canceled fun real-life plans to stay home and finish. If anyone else reads this too long after reading Wicked Lovely, don't give up; everything becomes clearer, although gradually. Reading this, I paused to reflect on the concept of perception, art, character (especially integrity), sacrifice, dealing with change, addiction, coping strategies, the absence of "good" and "evil", the purpose that suffering plays in our lives, etc. while being thoroughly entertained by a dark, suspenseful, well-written, captivating story of victimization and, surprisingly, love.

I've spent some time weighing the truth of these statements: "Sometimes love means letting go when you want to hold on tighter," and "The things you do when you're desperate aren't who you are."
I'm not sure if I can agree with the second, and it's an idea that's "nourished" my brain for a while today.

True to the themes presented by Ink Exchange, Marr does not turn her readers into addicts needing the next "fix" by ending in a cliffhanger that leaves one dissatisfied and hungry for more. Although there are at least 5 books in this series, each stands alone and leaves you content and free to choose to continue on or not. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landrum, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, MarkCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Loch, Dylan, and Asia, who believed in me even when I didn't, and the memories of John Marr Sr. and Marjorie Marr, whose presences linger and give me strength when I would falter
To all the people who've been in the abyss and found (or are finding) a way to reach solid ground-- you're proof that the seemingly impossible can happen.
And to A.S., who shared his shadows with me-- I hope you found what you needed.
Prologue FALL: Irial watched the girl stroll up the street: she was a bundle of terror and fury.
Chapter 1 EARLY THE FOLLOWING YEAR: Leslie slipped into her school uniform and got ready as quickly as she could.

Copy & Pasted from www.melissa-marr.com

"Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance between the Faerie Courts has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly-vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow.

17-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

The tattoo does bring changes—not the kind that Leslie had dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faerie world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils.

Melissa Marr continues her tales of Faerie in a dark, ravishing story of temptation and consequences, and of heroism when least expected. "

Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance among the Faery Courts has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow.

Seventeen-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

The tattoo does bring changes—not the kind Leslie has dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faery world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:23 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Leslie wants a tattoo as a way of reclaiming control of herself and her body, but the eerie image she selects draws her into the dangerous Dark Court of the faeries, where she draws on inner strength to make a horrible choice.

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,141,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible