Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely) by Melissa Marr

Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely) (edition 2009)

by Melissa Marr

Member:TaraMartin
Title:Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely)
Authors:Melissa Marr
Info:HarperCollins (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

Recently added byprivate library, MABoone, osage07, lamars, ArmchairAuthor, TigerDuchess, BooksToBreathe
2008 (18) 2009 (18) fae (21) faerie (167) fairies (80) fantasy (208) fiction (107) love (12) magic (23) melissa marr (13) paranormal (34) paranormal romance (10) rape (11) read (33) read in 2009 (11) romance (55) series (35) supernatural (19) tattoo (16) tattoos (41) teen (20) teen fiction (12) to-read (48) unread (18) urban fantasy (88) Wicked Lovely (23) Wicked Lovely Series (16) YA (113) young adult (138) young adult fiction (19)

English (100)  Finnish (1)  All languages (101)
Aislinn’s friend Leslie leads a life of pain and fear, but she’s sure she can banish both when she gets an elaborate tattoo that she’s been obsessed with ever since she saw it. What she doesn’t know is that the tattoo will link her inextricably to the Dark Court, drawing as much power from her as she ever hoped to draw from it. The balance of power among the Faery Courts has shifted, and the Dark King Irial is looking for ways to strengthen his fae. As he siphons her negative feelings to nourish his court, he finds himself developing feelings of his own.

Where I liked Wicked Lovely, I adored Ink Exchange. I’m not a willfully tough, hanging out in biker bars and buying skull-patterned accessories kind of gal. I don’t do tattoos and my piercings were plentiful, but in tame locations. I say this for context: I am not predisposed to like guns’n’violence posturing. Marr’s depiction of the Dark Court is intoxicating, Irial’s dark charm and Leslie’s descent into his world were so sensually depicted I couldn’t stop reading until I reached the end. The relationships that develop between Irial, Niall, and Leslie are so unexpected and unique in this type of book, but they feel inevitable. Fundamentally right. While it moves the chess pieces in the larger plot, the book explores the darkness that can exist in love. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
My favourite of the three books so far, I am in love with Irial and Niall and all their Dark King charm. Leslie is a much more humane and bearable heroine than Aislinn. I love how they all call Keenan Kingling, so funny! ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
Disappointing compared to the first book in the series. I loved the first book so much I read it in two days and went together the rest of the books in the series immediately. Ink Exchange just didn't grab me the way Wicked Lovely did. I didn't like Leslie much as a main character, I wanted to feel some sympathy for her due to the horrible things she had been subjected to, but I just...didn't. Niall's obsession was creepy and annoying. And I didn't see how a tattoo for Leslie will make everything better.

I did however, enjoy the world building, I loved learning more about the Dark Court and the types of fairies that lived there and how they interacted and played with mortals and it was more the world building that got me through this that the characters.

The story did get a little better towards the end of the novel but all in all just not as good as the first book. ( )
  sunsetxcocktail | Jan 20, 2014 |
The second book in the Wicked Lovely series is decidely darker than the first book, especially as it focuses on the Dark Court. A major plot point is Leslie's struggles to deal with how her brother and father have fallen off the "deep end" and the rape that her brother allowed to happen to her. She believes a tattoo will allow her to reclaim her body as her own and stop being afraid, but the tattoo she chooses has unimaginable consequences as she becomes entangled into the drama of the faery courts that her best friend Aislinn belongs to.
I like the change in main characters, as we get to see this world through other characters' eyes as well as learn about different aspects that Keenan or Aislinn may not be familiar with. I had a difficult time finding a character to really love, as all three of the main characters, Leslie, Irial, and Niall, all seemed to have major faults that I had a hard time getting around. The theme for this book seemed to be the darker side of humanity and how deeply entrenched people can get into the "gray" area of life, while still believing that they are not doing anything wrong. Irial wants to only use Leslie, just as he has for every other mortal, but then he falls for her. Leslie wants to be her own person and hates her brother for his druggie lifestyle, but then becomes an addict just like Ren. Niall has shunned the Dark Court for all it stands for, even denying his own nature, but then wants Leslie so bad that he unknowingly uses what he is and what the Dark Court is about to try and lure her to him. In a word, they all behave like hypocrites, but Marr is such a good writer, that I find myself feeling sorry for all of them at some point. While in many fantasy genre works, the female lead often has to choose between two guys, Marr takes a completely unpredictable approach, and I think that I like this ending the best of all possibilities. Plus, since this is only the second book in a series, there is potential for Leslie to change her mind in the long run as she becomes more comfortable in her own skin.
The way that Marr approaches the horrific trauma that Leslie endured prior to this book's beginning is handled very delicately, as it should be. It is never really described in detail what exactly happens to her, and it is mostly left up to the reader's imagination, which I think is a smart move in that girls who have been in a situation similar to Leslie's can relate to her and feel like they have a voice in her words and thoughts. This alone is what makes this book both poignant and powerful. The fact that both males vying for her affection try to rescue her from this trauma in his own way is what redeems both of them for me.
Politics run heavy in this series, and while I am not really a fan of politics in real life, fantasy books often make it much more interesting, Marr's writing being no exception. The dynamics between the faery courts are quite intriguing and I think they seem to balance one another out well, even though at first glance it might seem like some should be kept over others. I find myself constantly wondering about the High Court and its Queen, Sorcha, which I can look forward to in the third installment in the series, Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely).
  JacobsBeloved | Nov 25, 2013 |
I really love this book. Really, a lot. Melissa Marr's books, especially in this series bear a lot of similarities when it comes to the relationships and the obstacles they face. But this particular book, does it better than the others in my opinion.

I love all of the books in this series, just to be clear. Marr writes my kind of romance, and her characters are right up my alley. Still, this is my absolute favorite of them all, and the only one that I get a craving to read over and over and over again.

Leslie is a really vulnerable character, but she's also really strong, and that strength comes through in the most natural and believable of ways for me. The other two protagonists Irial and Niall, are my own personal wet dream, and so.. I have no complaints.

Very quick read, this is what I call really good brain candy. I recommend if you like tattoos, alternative lifestyles, and orgies ;) ( )
1 vote Nazgullie | Oct 12, 2013 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landrum, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Loch, Dylan, and Asia, who believed in me even when I didn't, and the memories of John Marr Sr. and Marjorie Marr, whose presences linger and give me strength when I would falter
To all the people who've been in the abyss and found (or are finding) a way to reach solid ground-- you're proof that the seemingly impossible can happen.
And to A.S., who shared his shadows with me-- I hope you found what you needed.
Prologue FALL: Irial watched the girl stroll up the street: she was a bundle of terror and fury.
Chapter 1 EARLY THE FOLLOWING YEAR: Leslie slipped into her school uniform and got ready as quickly as she could.

Copy & Pasted from www.melissa-marr.com

"Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance between the Faerie Courts has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly-vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow.

17-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

The tattoo does bring changes—not the kind that Leslie had dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faerie world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils.

Melissa Marr continues her tales of Faerie in a dark, ravishing story of temptation and consequences, and of heroism when least expected. "

Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance among the Faery Courts has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow.

Seventeen-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

The tattoo does bring changes—not the kind Leslie has dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faery world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:19 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Leslie wants a tattoo as a way of reclaiming control of herself and her body, but the eerie image she selects draws her into the dangerous Dark Court of the faeries, where she draws on inner strength to make a horrible choice.

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,230,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible