Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely) by Melissa Marr

Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely) (edition 2009)

by Melissa Marr

Member:TaraMartin
Title:Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely)
Authors:Melissa Marr
Info:HarperCollins (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

English (112)  Finnish (1)  All languages (113)
I really liked Wicked Lovely, but this one I didn't even understand . . . ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
I really enjoyed the 2nd book in the Wicked Lovely series. At first I thought it was going to be one of those series that has a different set of characters in each book, so I was pleased to see Seth, Keenan and Aislinn in this book as well. This time we get to see more of the "Dark Court" of the faeries and we get to know one of Keenan's "friends" better and one of Aislinn's friends better. We also meet some new faeries and some half-fey. The idea of the Ink Exchange is rather horrifying to me as a lover of tatts, but I'm satisfied with how it all turned out in the end...even if I can't use the word happy. I'll definitely keep reading this series. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
An Addictive Read

Invisible to humans, a world of fairies coexists with ours, a world in which shadows and light, summer and winter must be carefully balanced to avoid war and chaos.

Now, after centuries of searching, the Summer King has found his Queen and made peace with the Winter Queen, upsetting the precarious balance. Without war to feed on, the feys of the Dark Court are fading. To save them and still avoid resorting to open violence, the Dark King must bind himself to a human girl and steal her emotions he then will channel to his court. But for his plan to work, the human must choose him, or at least his essence symbolized in a tattoo design.

Abandoned by her mother, and set up by her brother to be raped as a payment of sorts for his drug debts, Leslie is barely surviving in the human world. Her anger, frustration and despair attract the attention of the Dark King, and when she decides to get a tattoo as a first step in reclaiming her life, and chooses the Dark King symbol, her fate is sealed.

Sensing something is wrong with Leslie, her best friend Aislinn who is the new Summer Queen sends Niall to protect her. Not a smart choice as Niall has fallen in love with Leslie. Niall is a dark fey whose touch is addictive to humans, and although he fights his feelings for her, he eventually gives in.

Before their involvement can evolve further, Leslie gets her tattoo and the blood of the Dark King mixed with the ink binds them together in an indissoluble bond. Leslie’s wishes that her pain disappears are fulfilled in a quite literal way, as Irial steals her emotions, but in the process he takes her will as well.

Irial’s plan works at first as his feys grow stronger with the girl’s negative feelings, but other feelings, unknown to him also flows into him, feelings of love and longing, he can’t control. The Dark King knows that humans bound to feys do not last forever and that Leslie’s days are counted. Forced to choose between chaos and his love for his human girl, Irial hesitates.

Ink Exchange’s bittersweet ending works in several levels, without being totally satisfying as several threads are left unresolved. For instance, at one point, Leslie crashes a drug dealer’s wrist but never again is this mentioned. Half way through the book Irial learns that Ani, one of the half-fairies Leslie has befriended, has the unheard of ability to feed in human emotions and realizes she could have been the answer to his Court's predicament. An interesting alternative that is not discussed further.

Also we know Niall’s touch is addictive to humans. This gives Niall and Leslie's relationship an edge, a fear of consequences to come that never materialize. And the love triangle between Leslie and the two feys is not so much resolved as dissolved.

But even with these flaws, Ink Exchange—like the drugs Leslie’s brother crave, like Niall’s touch —makes for an addictive read that leaves the reader wanting for more.
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
I'll admit I did not enjoy this book as much as the first. It really disappointed me by throwing me in a different direction then the first book. I wanted to read more about Aislinn, Seth, Keenan and the Summer Fae not Leslie and the Dark Court. I will admit it does give you a different look at the main characters from Wicked Lovely but if you are expecting a continuation of the first book you are going to be greatly disappointed. I just hope that the next book in the series doesn't leave me as disappointed as this one has. I honestly at times was left with more questions than answers and for me that's a big turn off in a book. Now that I'm finished with this one on to the next. ( )
  tianicolle | Jan 27, 2016 |
  tianicolle | Jan 27, 2016 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landrum, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, MarkCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Loch, Dylan, and Asia, who believed in me even when I didn't, and the memories of John Marr Sr. and Marjorie Marr, whose presences linger and give me strength when I would falter
To all the people who've been in the abyss and found (or are finding) a way to reach solid ground-- you're proof that the seemingly impossible can happen.
And to A.S., who shared his shadows with me-- I hope you found what you needed.
Prologue FALL: Irial watched the girl stroll up the street: she was a bundle of terror and fury.
Chapter 1 EARLY THE FOLLOWING YEAR: Leslie slipped into her school uniform and got ready as quickly as she could.

Copy & Pasted from www.melissa-marr.com

"Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance between the Faerie Courts has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly-vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow.

17-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

The tattoo does bring changes—not the kind that Leslie had dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faerie world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils.

Melissa Marr continues her tales of Faerie in a dark, ravishing story of temptation and consequences, and of heroism when least expected. "

Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance among the Faery Courts has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow.

Seventeen-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

The tattoo does bring changes—not the kind Leslie has dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faery world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:23 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Leslie wants a tattoo as a way of reclaiming control of herself and her body, but the eerie image she selects draws her into the dangerous Dark Court of the faeries, where she draws on inner strength to make a horrible choice.

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,918,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible