D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri…

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths (1962)

by Ingri D'Aulaire, Edgar Parin d'Aulaire

2,198None2,940 (4.48)37
Recently added byAzaleabud, lczar513, nrmay, elfschild, kristenweg, Ann-Greenidge, Ssaem, Velmeran, private library
ancient (22) Ancient Greece (73) ancient history (39) children (38) children's (77) children's books (17) children's literature (42) classics (31) fiction (64) folklore (32) gods (20) Greece (104) Greek (88) greek mythology (149) history (86) homeschool (15) illustrated (35) juvenile (20) kids (10) literature (29) myth (51) mythology (404) myths (73) non-fiction (32) own (16) picture book (42) read (18) reference (25) religion (18) Sonlight (12)

It took my young mind on adventures! I still imagine many Greek myths according to their fanciful illustrations. ( )
  CallMeChristina | Mar 23, 2014 |
This is a collection of wonderful stories about the amazing greek gods and goddess beautifully told. No education should be left out with learning about greek mythology.
  alishablaire | Mar 18, 2014 |
I feel that the mythology unit can be confusing and somewhat hard to understand. I like this book because it breaks that myths down into their own short story. This helps to keep all of the characters specific. The only thing I did not like about this book was the illustrations. They felt immature and estranged from the story. There was a disconnect between the myth and the art for me.
  ChelseaLawler | Mar 6, 2014 |
Only got part way through before we had to return this one to the library. We will be getting our own copy so we can slowly read through over and over again.
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
What I love about the d'Aulaires' stories is that they are concise enough to maintain the attention of young readers, but don't leave any of the important bits out. This is not to say that young readers have a limited attention span, many become very easily engrossed in lengthier texts, but this collection could have easily contained more pages than a Webster's dictionary. There are an infinite amount Greek myths, and even more versions of each. It is my opinion that this book includes all of the tales most relevant to our society, and the retelling of them never forgets the significant elements of the plot and the intended moral lessons.
  biarias | Jan 28, 2014 |

Ingri D'Aulaireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parin d'Aulaire, Edgarmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Broderick, MatthewNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newman, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Poitier, SidneyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turner, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440406943, Paperback)

No education is complete without a large slice of Greek mythology. And there's no better way of meeting that literary quota than with the D'Aulaires' book. All the great gods and goddesses of ancient Greece are depicted in this big, beautiful classic, lovingly illustrated and skillfully told. Young readers will be dazzled by mighty Zeus, lord of the universe; stirred by elegant Athena, goddess of wisdom; intimidated by powerful Hera, queen of Olympus; and chilled by moody Poseidon, ruler of the sea. These often impetuous immortals flounce and frolic, get indiscreet, and get even. From petty squabbles to heroic deeds, their actions cover the range of godly--and mortal--personalities.

The D'Aulaires' illustrations have a memorable quality: once pored over, they will never leave the minds of the viewer. Decades later, the name Gaea will still evoke the soft green picture of lovely Mother Earth, her body hills and valleys and her eyes blue lakes reflecting the stars of her husband, Uranus the sky. No child is too young to appreciate the myths that have built the foundation for much of the world's art and literature over the centuries. This introduction to mythology is a treasure. (Ages 10 to adult) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:09 -0400)

A re-telling of the myths of ancient Greece for children.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible