Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man (1981)

by Fannie Flagg

Growing up along the Gulf Coast's Shell Beach, Daisy Fay has to deal with lots of troubles, including her own daddy who has a "mortgage scheme in which his daughter has to return from the dead in a carefully orchestrated miracle"--Cover.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (infiniteletters)
    Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells (VictoriaPL)
    Irma Voth by Miriam Toews (eleanor_eader)
    eleanor_eader: DFATMM is more definitively 'Young Adult' than Irma Voth, but a great coming-of-age tale from the point of view of a smart girl with a lot of questions. Not as dark as Irma Voth in themes, more humorous, (Toews is sparser with language, but perhaps more effective for it) but DFATMM also describes a complex unfolding into adulthood and Flagg is gifted with characterisation skills that remind me of Toews, or vice-versa.… (more)

English (39)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All languages (42)
Well I wanted to like this, I've liked two of her other books.... but what can I say, except: I never warmed up to the characters, they seemed flat and I just don't see the humor in a dysfunctional family.

I did like Grandma & her BINGO playing friends....

Daisy Fay's father invests in an Ice Cream Parlor and moves the family from Alabama (?) to a small resort town Florida.... and the story is of that family's life as the years pass. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Sep 6, 2020 |
Daisy Fay is an 11-year old growing up in Mississippi in the 1950s. Her parents don’t always seem to get along. Her dad drinks, and doesn’t seem to have much luck with the businesses he sets up. It’s told in diary/journal form when Daisy Fay is 11, 15 and 17/18 years old.

It was good, but nothing special. There was some humour. Still not exactly sure who the “Miracle Man” is. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 29, 2020 |
Daisy Fay is an only child growing up in Mississippi during the 1950s. Suffering with parents who have their own troubles, she remains positive and has a spunky and uplifting view of life as she grows up to become a young woman.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 9, 2019 |
Hilarious! Really, especially for those born in the 1940s, '50s, or 60's and also for those who know the southern US. This book is funny all the way through and one short chapter had me rolling. Deftly written from the perspective of an 11-year-old girl, who ages in the book 7 years, from 1952-1959. It's hard to write humor, folks, and this is splendid. The voice is perfect. The setting is mostly Mississippi. Characters are priceless. It was a joy to read and I hated that it ended. I've read other books by this author, not all of her writings, and this one stands out for me. This is the author of Fried Green Tomatoes that was made into a movie. This book would also make a great movie.

Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
started and finished this book loved it ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 7, 2016 |
What you are about to read . . . really did happen to me . . . or maybe it didn't . . . I'm not sure . . . but it doesn't matter . . . because it's true . . .
--Daisy Fay Harper
For Marion, Bill and Patsy
Hello there . . . my name is Daisy Fay Harper and I was eleven years old yesterday.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,819,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible