Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie…

Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man (1981)

by Fannie Flagg

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells (VictoriaPL)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (infiniteletters)
    Irma Voth by Miriam Toews (eleanor_eader)
    eleanor_eader: DFATMM is more definitively 'Young Adult' than Irma Voth, but a great coming-of-age tale from the point of view of a smart girl with a lot of questions. Not as dark as Irma Voth in themes, more humorous, (Toews is sparser with language, but perhaps more effective for it) but DFATMM also describes a complex unfolding into adulthood and Flagg is gifted with characterisation skills that remind me of Toews, or vice-versa.… (more)

English (31)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All languages (34)
Fanny Flagg is a genius. This book is laugh out loud funny. (even when you are alone!) Daisy Fay has quite an eclectic set of friends and a unique view of life. I had to read portions out loud to my husband. Mama recommended this. She found it as Coming Attractions (its original title) at her local library sale. After Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe became so popular it was rereleased as Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man. I reread it and am very glad that I did. While there is a great deal of humor there are also many touching moments that bring the characters to life. I highly recommend it. ( )
  njcur | May 31, 2014 |
Daisy Fay is a 12 year old living in Mississippi during the 50s. Her family is a bit dysfunctional, to say the least. In a series of short diary-like entries, she describes her many adventures with an interesting cast of characters. The first 2/3 of the book seem a bit disjointed with no clear direction, but the last part saved the day with Daisy Fay heading to a beauty pageant as an unlikely entrant. Never did figure out who the miracle man was. ( )
  addunn3 | Mar 10, 2014 |
Secondo libro di Fannie Flagg.
Spezzato di vita di una famiglia medio borghese degli anni 50 in Alabama.
Daisy Fay scrive sul suo diario e ci rende partecipi e ci coinvolge nella sua vita di ragazzina, che piano piano diventa donna, dove dovrà affrontare grandi e piccole avventure vissute sempre con ingenuità e leggerezza a volte, ma anche vita fatta di hamburger e di miracoli!
Fannie Flagg è fenomenale!!Mi trascina in questo posti colorati e pieni di profumi, di familiarità, di calore e di amore!
Una lettura leggera e piacevole! ( )
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
I was loaned this book by someone who wouldn't brook me not reading it. She would ask me over and over every time I saw her, so as soon as I got it, I started right away. UGH! It was a very hard start. I read the first 50 pages or so and then put it down for a couple of months. The knowledge that I would be seeing the book's owner soon got me back on board. The first part of the story, all of which is written in diary form, is a slog to get through. The middle/late middle to the end of the book really pick up and get much more interesting.

I can't say I loved the story. It was about a girl growing up with dreams who lives with her alcoholic father and, occasionally, her mother who seems to be driven by the drinking to be a shrew. There are a lot of dreams that don't work out in this book.

Mr. Cecil was my favorite character and I also liked Daisy Fay's interactions with people who were a little off the beaten path in terms of society.

The story takes place in the 1950s in Mississippi, which is out of my experience, but the author does a good job making Daisy a believable girl and moving the story along.

I think the story is well written. I am not sure what could have been done to make the beginning more interesting. I did end up enjoying the last part of the book. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
This was Fannie Flagg's first book that I guess wasn't published until after she hit it big with Fried Green Tomatoes at Whistlestop Café. Its the story of a young girl and her troubled parents and it seems highly autobiographical. The girl oftentimes plays the adult in this family.
Its very entertaining and I love the way it is written but I don't think its for everyone. It has a darker edge that some of the other books written by this author but it also has more weight to it too. ( )
  AprilAasheim | Jul 7, 2013 |
What you are about to read . . . really did happen to me . . . or maybe it didn't . . . I'm not sure . . . but it doesn't matter . . . because it's true . . .
--Daisy Fay Harper
For Marion, Bill and Patsy
Hello there . . . my name is Daisy Fay Harper and I was eleven years old yesterday.

A coming-of-age story set on the Gulf Coast follows the misadventures of Daisy Fay, a straight-shooting girl with an eye for the bizarre. By the author of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Reprint. 100,000 first printing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:09 -0400)

Growing up along the Gulf Coast's Shell Beach, Daisy Fay has to deal with lots of troubles, including her own daddy who has a "mortgage scheme in which his daughter has to return from the dead in a carefully orchestrated miracle"--Cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible