Anthropology by Dan Rhodes

Anthropology

by Dan Rhodes

English (11)  Finnish (1)  All languages (12)
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
I read this in about 30 minutes and loved every minute of it! The stories range from sad to darkly hilarious. A nice take on how distorted relationships can get if we are not careful to remember our own individuality. ( )
  PagesandPints | Sep 1, 2016 |
One hundred one short stories, each one hundred one words long, all in the first person with a narrator and his girlfriend. Collectively they amount to an anthropology of modern relationships, capturing the full range of emotions from funny to romantic to sad. But as the stories progress they are increasingly bizarre, dark, and off centered, a trajectory that is mirrored in the increasingly bizarrely named girlfriends.

I read a few stories a day, each one takes less than a minute and reads like a prose poem, and I plan to dip into them again in the future. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
I always think of this as the book to read when you're breaking up with someone (or they're breaking up with you). It somehow makes it hurt a little less. Yes the stories are about love but with the odd exception they don't tend to fall into the typical portrayal of love. The stories are tiny but perfectly formed and probably best enjoyed if you have a black sense of humour and are a little on the cynical side. His narrators tend to be at a loss about the whole thing and often miss the point. Even knowing what the punchline is Pieces makes me laugh every single time. My other favourite is the last story which seems to have wandered in from some other much sweeter book. ( )
  tatterd | Mar 30, 2013 |

jasonlf | Feb 25, 2012 |
I loved an anthropologist.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 184195649X, Paperback)

Simplicity finds enormous power in Dan Rhodes's offbeat collection of short (very short) stories. With his award-winning Timoleon Vieta Come Home and chick-lit send-up (under the nom de plume Danuta De Rhodes) The Little White Car, his authorial range became obvious. Now his remarkable collection, Anthropology, only enhanced Rhodes's reputation. Declared one of Granta's Best Young British Novelists in 2003, Rhodes possesses a talent for understated wallops and profound humor, which he devotes to unraveling sex, love, dating, and the confoundingly beautiful, inscrutable girlfriend in these short (but intense) musings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:14 -0400)

Anthropology contains 101 stories, each 101 words long. Great fun and highly imaginative.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,674,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible