Avengers Assemble, Vol. 1 by Kurt Busiek

Avengers Assemble, Vol. 1

by Kurt Busiek, George Perez (Illustrator)

Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and a large gathering of Avengers battle evil sorceress Morgan Le Fay in a strange medieval reality.

My background in Avengers goes back to about 1978 but I only collected comics in spurts so I'm not an expert or anything. Kinda funny then that one of the most memorable Avengers comics I remember from being that young had to do with Wonderman coming back from the dead, it was some kinda of voodoo thing but I don't remember what issue it was or anything.

Of course Wonderman coming back from the dead is a big part of this graphic novel so it felt almost like nothing had changed in all those years. I have read some of Busiek's other stuff and really liked it but I thought this was kinda boring by comparison. Some of the cheesiness was painful. Maybe at the ripe old age of 44 I have just outgrown men in tights?

The other problem I had was all the links to other comics. It made me feel like I had to collect 8 different series just to keep up with what was going on. I realize it's marketing but it's annoying.

I did still like the art a lot, Perez was always one of my favorites. ( )
  ragwaine | Jun 18, 2014 |
I'm still a little boggled by the wide array of characters, and damn, is Wanda always that emo?, but I did enjoy this and I will certainly be reading more Avengers. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
The storyline was pretty basic. It wasn't boring, but it wasn't terribly complex either. I'd probably give the plot three stars, maybe three and a half.

The art is very colorful and vibrant. I also liked how Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch were drawn, and I loved Wanda's new costume, which was more in tune with her roots. The art is definitely at least four stars. ( )
  schatzi | Nov 17, 2009 |

Kurt Busiekprimary authorall editionscalculated
Perez, GeorgeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,866,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible