The Song of the Lark [CD] (AUDIOBOOK) by…

The Song of the Lark [CD] (AUDIOBOOK) (original 1915; edition 2007)

by Willa Cather

Member:hemlokgang
Title:The Song of the Lark [CD] (AUDIOBOOK)
Authors:Willa Cather
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:USA, Audiobook

The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather (1915)

English (24)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
Technically, I did not finish this and I am not sure that I will ever care to read The Song of the Lark in its entirety. I did complete about 42% of the book, and realized the story wasn't really improving on any level. Although some passages were lovely and poetic, I found much of the story to be tedious and really did not care for the main character, Thea. Willa Cather also did not really make a point of showing the reader why we should care, or for that matter why any of the other characters care about Thea. Perhaps because it is supposedly semi-autobiographical she did not develop the character as well as she would have a fictional one? Since I have other books that I would like to read sooner rather than later, I decided to set this one aside. ( )
  LisaAnn805 | Jul 23, 2016 |
At it's simplist, this book is the story of how a young Swedish girl from a small town in Colorado became an opera diva. However, Cather does not give us simple plots. This one is filled with lots of interesting characters and several interesting places as well. Good book club material as well. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Sep 29, 2015 |
What a disappointment this book was. I've loved just about all the Cather I've read, even minor works, but this seemed endless, and after about 80% I realized I just didn't care what happened to the characters and so quit. ( )
  auntmarge64 | Apr 20, 2015 |
"The Song of the Lark" is Book 2 of the "Great Plains Trilogy". But don’t worry if you haven’t yet read book 1- "O Pioneers!" because it is not a continuing story. In fact, none of the characters are the same, the setting is in a different state, and the only thing tying the stories together is an unknown distant relative who is barely mentioned and has no effect on the plot. In fact, even if you purposefully skipped Book 1, you missed very little. It is interesting to note just how much Willa Cather’s writing improved between 1912 and 1915. The Song of the Lark" is written so much better.

Book 2 is the story of Thea Kronborg. Thea is one of seven children of the Swedish Methodist Reverend Peter Kronborg. Growing up in rural Colorado in the 1890s, the plot centers around various residents of Moonstone, members of the Kronborg family, Thea’s musical talent, and her struggle to achieve recognition and fame. It’s the age-old story of the sacrifice and hardship suffered by artists in their relentless pursuit of their passion.

The characters are a bit one dimensional… especially Thea. In the opening scene Thea is eleven years old. Already there are admirers, suitors, and mentors of all ages who adore her and would literally do anything for her. And although she is not portrayed as a selfish person, she does not hesitate to take advantage of every opportunity to further her musical education and career. This wins the disapproval of resentful family members and gossipy neighbors… all suffering from a small-town mentality. They have no idea how serious Thea is about her ambitions.

Over a 20 year span, "The Song of the Lark" follows Thea from Moonstone where she plays piano for the church choir to Chicago where she studies under a famous musician, and ultimately on to Germany and New York where she performs at the Metropolitan Opera House. It’s quite a triumph for a woman in the early 1900s.

There is always a price to pay for fame and fortune and at the end of this story, the question remains… was it all worth it?

As with "O Pioneers!" and "My Antonia", "The Song of the Lark" achieved recognition for bringing attention to the life of ordinary people who lived on the prairie, and today- more than ever- is appreciated for authentic descriptions of life in the American West 100 years ago. ( )
2 vote LadyLo | Apr 18, 2015 |
Song of the Lark by Willa Cather was an interesting read that had a autobiographical feel to it as the subject matter was about a young girl developing into an artist, in this case a singer, and is set against the backdrop of the American West. I couldn’t help but wonder if the author implanted some of her own traits and feelings into Thea as she grew up knowing herself to be different from the rest of her family and the people of the small Western town of Moonstone, Colorado.

Willa Cather writes with great authority and this story details Theas’ determination and strong work ethic as she strives to reach her goals. Originally training to be a piano teacher, when her instructor hears her voice she is told that her voice is worth all that she can put into it. Through the course of the book, Thea learns to put her art first, and although there are setbacks, she eventually finds that her singing is what she gets the most pleasure from.

What made this book come alive for me were the various characters that Thea met along the way, and the author’s descriptive writing that makes the American West come alive on the pages. This was a book that, didn’t entirely sweep me away, but was still a very good read. I did appreciate how the book came full circle with Thea, her friends and even with its’ ending back in Moonstone, Colorado. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Apr 8, 2015 |
"It was a wond'rous lovely storm that drove me!" - Lenau's Don Juan
To Isabelle McClung
Doctor Howard Archie had just come up from a game of pool with the Jewish clothier and two travelling men who happened to be staying overnight in Moonstone.
The Song of the Lark tells a tale familiar in frontier history, a tale of struggle and courage in which a determined protagonist forges a self equal to a wild and outsized land. (Introduction)

This is the Cinderella story of Thea Kronborg, born into provincial obscurity in Moonstone, a small desert town in the American West, rescued from it by her exquisite voice. Thea is one of seven children, yet she is a child apart and there are those in Moonstone who know it: Aunt Tillie, Doctor Archie, Spanish Johnny, Professor Wunsch, her alcoholic piano teacher - and Ray Kennedy, a railroad man whose most cherished dream is to marry Thea but whose fate it is to set her free. With her rugged will and fierce pioneer spirit Thea forces her way through life - from Moonstone to the windy streets of Chicago, from Dresden to New York and a triumphant debut as Sieglinde at the Metropolitan Opera. Thea becomes a great opera singer, but learns on the way that to be a true artist she must make the most bitter sacrifices of all...

A story of a young woman's awakening as an artist and her struggle to escape the constraints of a small town in Colorado.

Legacy Library: Willa Cather

Willa Cather has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Willa Cather's legacy profile.

See Willa Cather's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,479,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible