Suck It Up by Brian Meehl

Suck It Up (2008)

by Brian Meehl

This is a slightly different take on vampires than pretty much all teen novels. The protagonist, Morning, isn't handsome- he's a geek who wants to be a superhero. The focus on the problem with being a vampire is that certain human dreams have to be dropped because they're unrealistic as a vampire. Morning wants to be a firefighter. There's a tiny bit of romance, but I definitely thought this was one that guys would relate to much more than girls. ( )
  t1bnotown | Dec 28, 2011 |
I've read my fair share of vamp. books and this one was ok... I liked the ballence of action and romance. ( )
  ReZo1001 | Feb 1, 2011 |
A nice light snack and a decent antidote to that Meyer fiasco (yecch, spit). ( )
  BrunsLib | Nov 26, 2010 |
Morning McCobb, a 16-year-old boy who likes superheroes, is the first vampire in history to come out on national television. Will the vampires' dreams of Worldwide Out Day be realized, or will Morning ruin it all by succombing to his lust for the blood of Portia Dredful, his publicist's daughter?

As it says on the cover several times, this is a vampire novel that's not quite like the rest of them. While it is a light read it's also a thoughtful story, one that should be read slowly, not in one big chunk. Things need to unfold at their own pace.

There's a certain realism in the atmosphere that I found fascinating. Most vampire books feel hidden in the shadows, confined by the need to keep the vampires a secret from the humans in the book. Morning is thrown out into the world, and it feels like a coming out for all the vampires in all the stories. It made me look at everything in a new light.

The vampires themselves are also interesting and not the norm, there's more of an emphasis on shapeshifting than the common powers, and they have a singular origin story. The characters were all very grounded in the story for me, each with a coherent set of motivations and a firm sense of self, by which I mean I had a very distinct image of each one. They didn't bleed into each other or agree about things just because it was the author's opinion! While the romance is obvious, Portia is not your typical heroine, and I loved her power.

The plot was slow in some places, but that should be a cue to slow down and get in deep in those places. There's a great mix of internal conflict with Morning and Portia, and external conflict with Morning and Ikor, the vampire who's willing to kill Morning to keep vampires from coming out. Everything is resolved beautifully at the end, with just enough of a tease for me to hope we get a sequel AND hope we don't. All in all, a thoroughly satisfying book. ( )
1 vote FFortuna | Jan 25, 2010 |
It's a story of a nerdy vampire that has to take the risk of being the first one to announce that vampires are real and he also has to show them too. He is very scared to do this but he knows that he has too. He also has help from the people that love and surround him. He also has to kill his maker, the one that created him. It's a wonderful story of romance, adventure, and mystery. ( )
  KrissZane | Jan 7, 2010 |
For my ladies: Cindy, Holly, and Kendall
"In the end is the beginning."

ARE YOU UP to your neck in bloodsucking vampire stories?

Tired of those tales about dentally enhanced dark lords?

Before I wrote this book I thought all vampires were night-stalking, fangpopping, bloodsucking fiends. Then I met Morning McCobb. He’s a vegan vampire who drinks a soy-blood substitute called Blood Lite. He believes staking should be a hate crime. And someday he hopes to march in a Vampire Pride Parade. He was also the first vampire to out himself and try to show people of mortality, like you and me, that vampires are just another minority with special needs. Trust me—this is like no other vampire book you’ll ever feed on.

So, as my buddy Morning says, “Pop the lid, and suck it up.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:24 -0400)

After graduating from the International Vampire League, a scrawny, teenaged vampire named Morning is given the chance to fulfill his childhood dream of becoming a superhero when he embarks on a League mission to become the first vampire to reveal his identity to humans and to demonstrate how peacefully-evolved, blood-substitute-drinking vampires can use their powers to help humanity.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible