Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Dead Witch Walking

by Kim Harrison

Series: The Hollows (1)

5,197183860 (3.91)171
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another well-written supernatural fantasy.
    Unholy Magic by Stacia Kane (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: Gritty, dark urban fantasy.
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Similar themes of "woman finding her place among peers/friends as she grows into her skills/strengths".
    Greywalker by Kat Richardson (librarymeg)
    Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 1) by Stacia Kane (leahsimone)
    Burning Water by Mercedes Lackey (Sundry)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (TheLibraryhag)
    Tainted by Julie Kenner (TheLibraryhag)
    The Witching Hour by Anne Rice (leahsimone)

English (182)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All (184)
I am impressed with this series!! I had heard good things about the Hallows series and now I'm in love!! I truly enjoyed that the language was subdued and not terse unlike so many other books! Now onto the second book in this series!!! ( )
  dne2004 | Apr 8, 2017 |
I will review soon, yes I will! Probably after the holidays. There are bound to be holidays at some point, right?

Really liked it b/w. ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
Dead Witch Walking takes forever to take off. Rachel is a witch and she works for a paranormal agency set out to catch illegal activities of paranormal creatures. She hangs out with a pixy named Jenks and a living vampire named Ivy.

It takes several chapters to get to how the world became this way. Meantime I am pushing through the story trying to fathom why this girl quit her job at the Interlander agency in the first place, why her boss wants her dead and what’s up with this Nick character.

The plots and subplots are uninteresting and nothing much happens until Rachel confronts Trent, a guy who may be a paranormal but no one knows what he is – throughout the book! And no one knows who sent these demon attacks – throughout the book!

And who is this Nick guy anyway? He was a rat in a rat fight when Rachel transformed herself into a mink (long story) and they escaped together. Was this planned in advance by Trent? Who knows?

The book goes in fits and starts. Some parts are exciting, others very domestic and dull.

It’s an easy read, most likely for very young adults or older teens. I have read comparisons to Anita Blake and the early Blake novels are much more into action and the life adventures and plots of the powerful paranormals. Rachel is a much more selfish character and makes lots of dumb decisions as she attempts to work off the contract on her life.

It’s true that the Anita Blake novels devolved into sex novels and formulaic plots.

The Kim Harrison novel here leaves a lot of plot holes, hopefully filled in the next book? Not sure I want to read more to find out.

Recommended for those who like their Anita light!

James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
This book has been recommended to me a few times. I didn't care for the writing, so didn't finish it. ( )
  Zumbanista | Dec 21, 2016 |
Dead Witch Walking
3.5 Stars

Good premise and solid world building but the first half drags and the main character has several TSTL moments.

Narration: listened to this after Some Girls Bite and Marguerite Gavin's narration probably benefits from the inevitable comparison. Cynthia Holloway is borderline monotonous and she fails to differentiate between the characters. In contrast, Gavin has a variety of voices with their own tone and inflection (Jenks is particularly well done although Ivy's voice is a little too deep and masculine).

The gritty world of the Hollows is very compelling with the variety of supernatural creatures and an alternate human history. The interactions between humans and supernaturals, the animosity between the Pixies and the Fairies, and the ominous threat posed by the vampires are all quite original. The idea that human ingenuity almost resulted in the annihilation of their race with genetically altered food is very apropos given the current trend toward messing with genetics and DNA - a dire warning, perhaps?

Rachel fails to come across as a particularly intelligent or successful witch nor is she a fearless, kick-ass heroine. She is extremely stubborn (not always in a good way) and consistently makes ill-informed choices that lead her into sticky situations from which she needs to be rescued. Moreover, her constant panic around Ivy is irritating and does not evoke respect or faith in her maturity.

Jenks, the loquacious pixie, is the highlight of the book. His sarcastic one liners and witty comebacks had me laughing out loud at inopportune moments. Trent is another intriguing character with an ambiguous morality that has you questioning notions of right and wrong, good and evil.

Overall, not the best beginning to a series but it has potential and there are numerous unanswered questions that I am eager to learn more about. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Kim Harrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targete, Jean-PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the man who said he liked my hat.
I stood in the shadows of a deserted shop front across from The Blood and Brew Pub, trying not to be obvious as I tugged my black leather pants back up where they belonged.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060572965, Mass Market Paperback)

All the creatures of the night gather in "the Hollows" of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party ... and to feed.

Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining -- and it’s Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized.

A bounty hunter and witch with serious sex appeal and an attitude, she'll bring 'em back alive, dead ... or undead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:22 -0400)

Sexy bounty hunter and witch Rachel Morgan prowls the dark streets of Cincinnati, keeping tabs on the vampires and other creatures of the supernatural who prey on the city's innocent and vulnerable inhabitants.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,764,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible