Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, Book 1) by…

Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, Book 1) (edition 2004)

by Kim Harrison

5,367194816 (3.92)183
Member:RobynBachar
Title:Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, Book 1)
Authors:Kim Harrison
Info:Harper Voyager (2004), Edition: The Hollows, Book 1, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:urban-fantasy

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another well-written supernatural fantasy.
    Unholy Magic by Stacia Kane (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: Gritty, dark urban fantasy.
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Similar themes of "woman finding her place among peers/friends as she grows into her skills/strengths".
    Greywalker by Kat Richardson (librarymeg)
    Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane (leahsimone)
    Burning Water by Mercedes Lackey (Sundry)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (TheLibraryhag)
    Tainted by Julie Kenner (TheLibraryhag)
    The Witching Hour by Anne Rice (leahsimone)

English (192)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All (194)
Pretty fun romp into a unique urban fantasy world. I like the characters but for right now they seem a little shallow. Not annoying just not multi-dimensional. I'll read the next book to get more deeply into the story and the people. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
A witch, a vamp, and a pixie walk into a bar, and leave with a detective agency. Oh, and tomatoes are lethal to humans in this world, so goodbye pizza... ( )
1 vote ktoonen | Mar 4, 2018 |
Fun! ( )
1 vote kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Fans of Sookie Stackhouse will definitely enjoy this. It has a lot of the same elements of the "other" becoming exposed to the human race. This dabbles a bit faster in the realm of fairies and weres though.

I liked it. I hated the writing style but most people aren't reading this kind of book for the language so I tried to put that aside. The story was good although I really thought that one of the characters who was acting sketchy would come through with a good twist at the end and he didn't which was weird to me. Maybe that comes later in the series.

The characters are consistent although I kept forgetting what the big deal with tomatoes was and it was annoying to me how Ivy was so moody and I was annoyed about all the rules about vampires. I also didn't really get how witches were different than humans since they went to school to become witches. So...it's just education that makes them different?

Overall a good read for vampire fans, which I'm not really. I like Sookie Stackhouse though mostly because of True Blood. For me I would rather read Sookie but for those who have read all of those already, this is a more urban read.

ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |
DNF at Chapter 5, page 64. I couldn't get into it. Rachel Morgan just doesn't compare to Harry Dresden or Kate Daniels or Merry Gentry.

Also, I was really thrown by the following descriptions, on page 13:

"Her slightly Oriental cast gave her an enigmatic look, upholding my belief that most models had to be vamps."

"Her hair was a smooth dark wave, accenting her pale skin and oval-shaped face. No matter what she did with her hair, it made her look exotic."

Only cool thing, for me, was the world being set in Cincinnati, Ohio.
  flying_monkeys | Jan 11, 2018 |

Kim Harrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targete, Jean-PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the man who said he liked my hat.
I stood in the shadows of a deserted shop front across from The Blood and Brew Pub, trying not to be obvious as I tugged my black leather pants back up where they belonged.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060572965, Mass Market Paperback)

All the creatures of the night gather in "the Hollows" of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party ... and to feed.

Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining -- and it’s Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized.

A bounty hunter and witch with serious sex appeal and an attitude, she'll bring 'em back alive, dead ... or undead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:22 -0400)

Sexy bounty hunter and witch Rachel Morgan prowls the dark streets of Cincinnati, keeping tabs on the vampires and other creatures of the supernatural who prey on the city's innocent and vulnerable inhabitants.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,561,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible