We Had a Picnic This Sunday Past by…

We Had a Picnic This Sunday Past

by Jacqueline Woodson

While reading this book about a family picnic, I could not help but relate to Teeka. Throughout the book, Teeka and Grandma are going through everyone in the family and what food they did or did not bring. The illustrations were bright and almost realistic. While reading the details of the book and engaging with the beautiful illustrations, it almost felt as if I was at the picnic myself. I think this is yet another great book by Jacqueline Woodson. The flowing words and bright pictures made this book engaging, yet fun. I would read this book in a classroom because it can showcase the culture of the family, different cuisines people enjoy, different ways to bond with family, and even explained how family is made up. I love the way this book makes readers feel and all that it teaches them. ( )
  Gabrielle21 | Aug 30, 2018 |
A great message that says even though people come from the same family, a person can be very different from a cousin, uncle, brother, or aunt. ( )
  MLynne | Nov 17, 2017 |
I would read this story in my elementary classroom when discussing family traditions and customs. It would be a very relatable story I believe and I think it would bring up some funny and entertaining conversations for students. It would be a good book to read before asking students to write about a family tradition they have.
  jschuttenhelm | Nov 17, 2017 |
This book offers a different view of culture's definition of a family. Teeka goes to a family picnic with her grandmother. Her cousins, aunts, uncles, and even her pastor and his family are there. This book shows three different types of family: immediate, extended, and non-biological. The pictures are vivid and bright, and they would be very attracting for children. This book offers children a further understanding and appreciation of family. Jacqueline Woodson is magical. ( )
  Reagan.Brown | Nov 16, 2017 |
This is such a precious story about how close families can be. Woodson does a great job of capturing how families gossip, love, and appreciate spending time with one another. The text in this story is also written very informally, almost as if most of the book is written in slang to truly capture how comfortable people are with members of their families. The illustrations in this book fit perfectly with this bright story, as they are colored with bright colors that give the book a very happy and welcoming feel. I feel that I would have a hard time reading this to young children, as I feel it would be hard for them to understand why family members are gossiping with one another even though they are supposed to love everyone. This seems fit for a bit of an older crowd. Still, the book was such an entertaining read, and had me laughing the whole way through. ( )
  bbabb | Oct 30, 2017 |

A young girl describes her various relatives and the foods they bring to the annual family picnic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:34 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,728,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible