Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz
Recently added byprivate library, kaystj, CindyBrooks, aliterarylion, Samqua

English (38)  German (1)  All languages (39)
I don't ordinarily care for Dean Koontz's writings, but I found this series to be a cleaver and engaging retelling of the Frankenstein monster story. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
I almost didn't finish this one. It was just so boring and convoluted for me. I sighed and rolled my eyes constantly. I pushed through to the end only because I hate to leave a book unread.

Sarah_Buckley | Jan 3, 2014 |
The book started promising, fast and funny. But it didn't last long. Only in the last 50 pages or so does the pace pick up a bit again.
This is the first book of the series and it introduces all the characters, establishes their background and personality. But I feel that's it's only function. Of the three storylines only one is resolved at the end of the book. To me it feels like the story is originally longer and it's been cut in two.
I did like the characters, because Koontz takes the whole book to introduce them the main characters are well rounded. The story itself is okay, nothing special but I think this book's function is to introduce the characters.
What I did find annoying is how often Koontz tells the reader, explicitly, that the members of the New Race heal very fast when hurt. After a couple of times I knew and didn't need constant reminders that way.
I might get the second book of the series to see if it improves, because the concept of the series seems promising. ( )
  Rumpeltje | Sep 22, 2013 |
Koontz is sometimes hit-and-miss for me, but so far I'm enjoying his take on Frankenstein. As usual his characters sometimes engage in mundane-but-amusing dialogue that I find charming. And the token golden retriever? I'm sure there was one, but it's been a couple months since I've read this. ( )
  wispywillow | Sep 21, 2013 |
SUMMARY: From the celebrated imagination of Dean Koontz comes a powerful reworking of one of the classic stories of all time. If you think you know the legend, you know only half the truth. Here is the mystery, the myth, the terror, and the magic of . . . Every city has its secrets. But none as terrible as this. He is Deucalion, a tattooed man of mysterious origin, a sleight-of-reality artist who has traveled the centuries with a secret worse than death. He arrives in New Orleans as a serial killer stalks the streets, a killer who carefully selects his victims for the humanity that is missing in himself. Deucalion's path will lead him to cool, tough police detective Carson O'Connor and her devoted partner, Michael Maddison, who are tracking the slayer but will soon discover signs of something far more terrifying: an entire raceof killers who are much moreand lessthan human and, deadliest of all, their deranged, near-immortal maker: Victor Heliosonce known as Frankenstein. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anderson, Kevin J.main authorall editionsconfirmed
For power of man to make himself what he pleases means, as we have seen, the power of some men to make other men what they please.
--C. S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man
Deucalion seldom slept, but when he did, he dreamed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553587889, Mass Market Paperback)

From the celebrated imagination of Dean Koontz comes a powerful reworking of one of the classic stories of all time. If you think you know the story, you know only half the truth. Get ready for the mystery, the myth, the terror, and the magic of…

Dean Koontz's Prodigal Son

Every city has secrets. But none as terrible as this. His name is Deucalion, a tattooed man of mysterious origin, a sleight-of-reality artist who’s traveled the centuries with a secret worse than death. He arrives as a serial killer stalks the streets, a killer who carefully selects his victims for the humanity that is missing in himself. Detective Carson O’Connor is cool, cynical, and every bit as tough as she looks. Her partner Michael Maddison would back her up all the way to Hell itself–and that just may be where this case ends up. For the no-nonsense O’Connor is suddenly talking about an ages-old conspiracy, a near immortal race of beings, and killers that are more—and less—than human. Soon it will be clear that as crazy as she sounds, the truth is even more ominous. For their quarry isn’t merely a homicidal maniac—but his deranged maker.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:19 -0400)

In a reworking of Mary Shelley's classic horror novel, Detective Carson O'Connor and her partner, Michael Maddison, are confronted by a serial killer in search of victims that possess the humanity missing in himself.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,695,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible