Tribute by Nora Roberts

Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Putnam Adult (2008), Hardcover, 464 pages
Tags:Shenandoah Valley, house renovation

Tribute by Nora Roberts

English (49)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (50)
Tribute is an interesting story where the past comes to the present, and shows how one little mistake can lead to an uncertain future that may not be escaped. Although easy to get into, the ending is lacking, and leaves the reader wanting more as to what happened at the most critical part of the story. ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Nov 23, 2018 |
The characters did not grab me as much as Nora Roberts' others seem to. I did not like the dream/memory aspects of the buildup of the mystery and the villain was predictable. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Not bad, actually. I think my favorite part was when the heroine, threatened by an old baddy, knees the guy in the balls. It was so satisfying to have a female protagonist in a romance novel actually defend herself, and the boyfriend never had the chance. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I pushed through this book just because of the family-history angle in the story line. I can't say I was actually Rewarded for my efforts, but at least the baseline plot was moderately interesting. I didn't solve the Whodunnit part of the story with certainty until near the end when Roberts was annoyingly obvious with the clues played out in dialogue.

Roberts' attempt to create a modern strong woman heroine (she's an expert with power tools!she aced the Contractor licensing test!)was rather overdone, and the forays into really bad Romance Novel prose (our heroine is also a sexpot, and a fragile flower in need of a strong loving man) were painfully hard to read, but thankfully not too frequent and I started skipping over them with no loss of story continuity.

For the record, I didn't know anything about Nora Roberts when I picked up this book. I know now that I am not her intended audience. I might have enjoyed her stuff back in my Danielle Steele-reading youth, and even now this book is probably okay for lazy reading by the fire or poolside. It's just not the great writing and storytelling I'm looking for now that I have so little time to spare for pleasure reading. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
She has done it better in Chasing Fire. Much the same plot line as that story, but I liked the characters and setting much better in it. ( )
  oldenoughdk | Feb 8, 2018 |
The sensuality in this prose is too lush to bother with sex. The dialogue and dream sequences are there strictly to establish plot points. And the plot, the plot is there to … to what? To remind readers of their desire for fame and beauty (and a rehabbed house), comfort them about their sexual anxiety (best to skip it, eh?), their sense that our own real non-hallucinogenically intense world is too complex to be interesting. Cilla longs only for the normalcy her readers already possess (a wealthy and well-appointed version, of course, because who wants to read about poor people?). And her readers, presumably, long only for the next Nora Roberts novel.

Roberts really knows how to tell a great story.

Nora Robertsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dyck, Jennifer VanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roig Jiménez, EstherTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jason and Kat, as you start your life together. May the garden you plant root strong, blossom with the colors and shapes each of you brings, and both of you tend, so the blooms flourish.

Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley is a long way from Hollywood. And that’s exactly how Cilla McGowan wants it. Cilla, a former child star who has found more satisfying work as a restorer of old houses, has come to her grandmother’s farmhouse, tools at her side, to rescue it from ruin. Sadly, no one was able to save her grandmother, the legendary Janet Hardy. An actress with a tumultuous life, Janet entertained glamorous guests and engaged in decadent affairs--but died of an overdose in this very house more than thirty years earlier. To this day, Janet haunts Cilla’s dreams. And during waking hours, Cilla is haunted by her melodramatic, five-times-married mother, who carried on in the public spotlight and never gave her a chance at a normal childhood. By coming east, rolling up her sleeves, and rehabbing this wreck of a house, Cilla intends to find some kind of normalcy for herself. Plunging into the project with gusto, she’s almost too busy to notice her neighbor, graphic novelist Ford Sawyer--but his lanky form, green eyes, and easy, unflappable humor (not to mention his delightfully ugly dog, Spock) are hard to ignore. Determined not to perpetuate the family tradition of ill-fated romances, Cilla steels herself against Ford’s quirky charm, but she can’t help indulging in a little fantasy. But love and a peaceful life may not be in the cards for Cilla. In the attic, she has found a cache of unsigned letters suggesting that Janet Hardy was pregnant when she died--and that the father was a local married man. Cilla can’t help but wonder what really happened all those years ago. The mystery only deepens with a series of intimidating acts and a frightening, violent assault. And if Cilla and Ford are unable to sort out who is targeting her and why, she may--like her world-famous grandmother-- be cut down in the prime of her life.

Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, in the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains, is a long way from Hollywood. And that’s exactly how Cilla McGowan likes it. Cilla, a former child star, has found a more satisfying life working with her hands to restore homes from floor to ceiling – and has come here to her grandmother’s farmhouse, tools at her side, to rescue it from ruin. Sadly, no one had been able to save her grandmother, the legendary Janet Hardy. An actress with a golden voice and a tumultuous life, Janet entertained glamorous guests and engaged in decadent affairs – but died of an overdose in this very house more than thirty years ago. To this day, Janet haunts Cilla’s dreams. And during her waking hours, Cilla is haunted by her melodramatic, five-times-married mother, who carried on in the public spotlight and never gave her a chance at a normal childhood. By coming to the East Coast, rolling up her sleeves, and rehabbing this wreck of a house, Cilla intends to take a shot at finding some kind of normalcy for herself. Cilla has her work cut out for her – the house, once a place of comfort and simple rural beauty, is long neglected, crumbling, the grounds choked by weeds. Plunging into the project with gusto, she’s almost too busy and exhausted to notice her neighbor, graphic novelist Ford Sawyer – but his lanky form, green eyes, and easy, unflappable humor (not to mention his delightfully ugly dog, Spock) are hard to ignore. Determined not to carry on the family tradition of ill-fated romances, Cilla steels herself against Ford’s quirky charm, but she can’t help indulging in a little fantasy. But love and a peaceful life may not be in the cards for Cilla. In the house’s cluttered attic, she has found a cache of unsigned letters, tied with a faded red ribbon, suggesting that Janet Hardy was pregnant when she died – and that the father of her child was a local married man. Cilla can’t help but wonder what really happened all those years ago. The mystery only deepens with a series of cruel and intimidating acts and a frightening, violent assault. And if Cilla and Ford are unable to sort out who is targeting her and why, she may, like her world-famous grandmother, be cut down in the prime of her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

Cilla, a former child star who has found more satisfying work as a restorer of old houses, has come to her grandmother's Shenandoah Valley farmhouse, tools at her side, to rescue it from ruin. In the attic, she finds a cache of unsigned letters suggesting that her grandmother was pregnant when she died and that the father was a local married man. When Cilla becomes the target of a series of intimidating acts and a frightening, violent assault, her neighbor, graphic novelist Ford Sawyer, steps in to help her sort out who is targeting her and why.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible