The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel by…

The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Garth Stein

Member:jmchshannon
Title:The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel
Authors:Garth Stein
Info:Harper Perennial (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 321 pages

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (Author) (2008)

Marley & Me by John Grogan (Trevorlanticism)
    A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: narrated by dog!
    Dog on It by Spencer Quinn (rxtheresa)
    rxtheresa: Written from dog's point of view
    The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst (jbarry)
    Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote (kalpitad)
    kalpitad: Although The Art of Racing in the Rain is fiction and Merle's Door is non-fiction, both provide a narrative about the mind and heart of a dog.
    Belka, Why Don't You Bark? by Hideo Furukawa (nsblumenfeld)
    A Dog's Life by Peter Mayle (Cecilturtle)
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach (Graphirus)
    Graphirus: Life-philosophy explained through action, an activity (flight/car racing)
    One Good Dog by Susan Wilson (hokansonh)

English (407)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (411)
As a dog lover, I really enjoyed this book. I particularly liked the book because it was written from the dog's point of view. The book portrays the relationship between a dog and his owner / family really well. As I was reading the book, there were many points or instances that I could relate to. It was a very heartwarming book and I highly recommend it. ( )
  jlee1287 | Sep 20, 2014 |
This book was great. The racing references were hard to follow since I'm not a fan but it worked because most of the time they were used as metaphors for life (very Zen like). I loved the point of view coming from a dog, seems like a lot of books are coming out like that, or maybe I'm just reading them now. The story itself was a typical heartwarming life story but the meaning of life metaphors told from a dog's point of view made it very enjoyable. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Tune in Next Week...

It was enjoyable while I was reading it, but I find that I'm forgetting it quickly. The bad-luck story is worthy of a telenovela, for sure. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
Enzo is a dog and the story is told from his point of view, looking back on his life with his buddy Denny, Denny's wife, Eve ,and their daughter, Zoe.

I really enjoyed this. I am not into car racing so the racing stuff wasn't as interesting to me, but I loved Enzo and the family storyline was interesting, too. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 18, 2014 |
Excellent book. A tale of what we do for the people we love, seen through the eyes of a dog. ( )
  wmnch2fam | Jul 14, 2014 |
Fans of Marley & Me, rejoice.
added by cmwilson101 | editEntertainment Weekly

If you've ever wondered what your dog is thinking, Stein's third novel offers an answer. Enzo is a lab terrier mix plucked from a farm outside Seattle to ride shotgun with race car driver Denny Swift as he pursues success on the track and off. Denny meets and marries Eve, has a daughter, Zoë, and risks his savings and his life to make it on the professional racing circuit. Enzo, frustrated by his inability to speak and his lack of opposable thumbs, watches Denny's old racing videos, coins koanlike aphorisms that apply to both driving and life, and hopes for the day when his life as a dog will be over and he can be reborn a man. When Denny hits an extended rough patch, Enzo remains his most steadfast if silent supporter. Enzo is a reliable companion and a likable enough narrator, though the string of Denny's bad luck stories strains believability. Much like Denny, however, Stein is able to salvage some dignity from the over-the-top drama.
added by cmwilson101 | editPublisher's Weekly

“I savored Garth Stein’s The Art of Racing in the Rain for many reasons: a dog who speaks, the thrill of competitive racing, a heart-tugging storyline, and--best of all--the fact that it is a meditation on humility and hope in the face of despair.”
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Wally Lamb

Stein, GarthAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Welch, Christopher EvanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna
For Muggs
Gestures are all that I have; sometimes they must be grand in nature.
To live every day as if it had been stolen from death, that is how I would like to live. (pg 160; first harper paperback published 2009) ~ Enzo~

She died that night. Her last breath took her soul, I saw it in my dream. I saw her soul leave her body as she exhaled, and then she had no more needs, no more reason; she was released from her body, and, being released, she continued her journey elsewhere, high in the firmament where soul material gathers and plays out all the dreams and joys of which we temporal beings can barely conceive, all the things that are beyond our comprehension, but even so, are not beyond our attainment if we choose to attain them, and believe that we truly can.

In Monglolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog's master whispers into the dog's ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat or fat is placed in his mouth to sustain his soul on its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog's soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like.
"The Art of Racing in the Rain" and "Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog" are two different books. Please do not combine them. One is a young adult book  ("Racing in the Rain: My life as a Dog"), the other is an adult book of the same story "The Art of Racing in the Rain".  As the "Racing in the Book" puts it: "This is a special adaptation for young people of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling adult novel The Art of Racing in the Rain."

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope--a captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life . . . as only a dog could tell it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:47 -0400)

Nearing the end of his life, Enzo, a dog with a philosopher's soul, tries to bring together the family, pulled apart by a three year custody battle between daughter Zoe's maternal grandparents and her father Denny, a race car driver.

Garth Stein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Garth Stein chatted with LibraryThing members from May 17, 2010 to May 28, 2010. Read the chat.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible