The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel by…

The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Garth Stein

Member:jmchshannon
Title:The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel
Authors:Garth Stein
Info:Harper Perennial (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 321 pages

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (Author) (2008)

Marley & Me by John Grogan (Trevorlanticism)
    A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: narrated by dog!
    Dog on It by Spencer Quinn (rxtheresa)
    rxtheresa: Written from dog's point of view
    The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst (jbarry)
    Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote (kalpitad)
    kalpitad: Although The Art of Racing in the Rain is fiction and Merle's Door is non-fiction, both provide a narrative about the mind and heart of a dog.
    Belka, Why Don't You Bark? by Hideo Furukawa (nsblumenfeld)
    A Dog's Life by Peter Mayle (Cecilturtle)
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach (Graphirus)
    Graphirus: Life-philosophy explained through action, an activity (flight/car racing)
    One Good Dog by Susan Wilson (hokansonh)

English (442)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (446)
I read this in a weekend, it was an easy read but left me thinking about it for days after. It's the type of book that would have my mother sobbing as she turns each page, there are a lot of feelings and emotions in such a short space. I'm glad I randomly chose this off of my bookshelf (it was there based on a rec from a friend) for my weekend read! ( )
  Pi. | Jun 22, 2016 |
Excellent - heart-wrenching - lots of tears. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Entertaining, but problematic. Short, so if you're considering reading it and can borrow a copy or get it used cheap, go ahead.

Even though I have little interest in the thoughts of pet dogs, and no interest in auto racing, those conceits weren't the problem for me. The author does write gracefully enough to engage the reader. What I didn't like was that the story was contrived and manipulative. Not as bad as Nicholas Sparks, but think in that direction. I can't give examples for fear of spoilers, sorry, but the thing is that it left a sour taste in my mouth and despite all sorts of tragedy and drama and sympathetic characters it didn't actually manage to make me cry.

One thing you might hope to get out of it (because you've read the blurbs and other reviews) is an exploration of human nature because of the fact that it's written from the dog's perspective. Ok, fine, yes you can get some sophomoric philosophy here. But if you've read speculative fiction about aliens, or the memoirs of people who are autistic, or even other talking animal books like *Watership Down* you've seen it done better. ( )
1 vote Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This had so much potential and I was dying to start reading it. But I must admit to being disappointed. Enzo's voice and musings just didn't do it for me. He is obviously supposed to be a dog, but he could have equally been a cat or a ferret or an old uncle. I expected much more humour and goofiness from him and found his serious philosophical passages downright annoying. And the ending was silly. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
I laughed with Enzo. I cried with Enzo. I ran with Enzo. I got angry with Enzo. I played with Enzo. I was with Enzo. ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
Fans of Marley & Me, rejoice.
added by cmwilson101 | editEntertainment Weekly

If you've ever wondered what your dog is thinking, Stein's third novel offers an answer. Enzo is a lab terrier mix plucked from a farm outside Seattle to ride shotgun with race car driver Denny Swift as he pursues success on the track and off. Denny meets and marries Eve, has a daughter, Zoë, and risks his savings and his life to make it on the professional racing circuit. Enzo, frustrated by his inability to speak and his lack of opposable thumbs, watches Denny's old racing videos, coins koanlike aphorisms that apply to both driving and life, and hopes for the day when his life as a dog will be over and he can be reborn a man. When Denny hits an extended rough patch, Enzo remains his most steadfast if silent supporter. Enzo is a reliable companion and a likable enough narrator, though the string of Denny's bad luck stories strains believability. Much like Denny, however, Stein is able to salvage some dignity from the over-the-top drama.
added by cmwilson101 | editPublisher's Weekly

“I savored Garth Stein’s The Art of Racing in the Rain for many reasons: a dog who speaks, the thrill of competitive racing, a heart-tugging storyline, and--best of all--the fact that it is a meditation on humility and hope in the face of despair.”
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Wally Lamb

Stein, GarthAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Welch, Christopher EvanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna
For Muggs
Gestures are all that I have; sometimes they must be grand in nature.
To live every day as if it had been stolen from death, that is how I would like to live. (pg 160; first harper paperback published 2009) ~ Enzo~

She died that night. Her last breath took her soul, I saw it in my dream. I saw her soul leave her body as she exhaled, and then she had no more needs, no more reason; she was released from her body, and, being released, she continued her journey elsewhere, high in the firmament where soul material gathers and plays out all the dreams and joys of which we temporal beings can barely conceive, all the things that are beyond our comprehension, but even so, are not beyond our attainment if we choose to attain them, and believe that we truly can.

In Monglolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog's master whispers into the dog's ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat or fat is placed in his mouth to sustain his soul on its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog's soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like.
Please distinguish among The Art of Racing in the Rain (2008), for general audiences; Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog (2011), "a special adaptation for young people of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling adult novel The Art of Racing in the Rain"; and Enzo Races in the Rain! (2014), for pre-school to third grade readers. Thank you.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope--a captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life . . . as only a dog could tell it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

Nearing the end of his life, Enzo, a dog with a philosopher's soul, tries to bring together the family, pulled apart by a three year custody battle between daughter Zoe's maternal grandparents and her father Denny, a race car driver.

Garth Stein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Garth Stein chatted with LibraryThing members from May 17, 2010 to May 28, 2010. Read the chat.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,737,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible