The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

The Art of Racing in the Rain (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Garth Stein

5,308None825 (4.08)283
Member:prisoner
Title:The Art of Racing in the Rain
Authors:Garth Stein
Info:Harper (2008), Hardcover, 321 pages
Rating:*****

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (Author) (2008)

2009 (20) 2010 (41) 2011 (26) 2012 (19) animals (71) audiobook (23) auto racing (84) book club (51) cancer (112) car racing (79) contemporary fiction (25) custody (33) death (96) dog (95) dogs (405) ebook (36) family (126) fiction (553) Kindle (40) novel (38) pets (35) philosophy (32) racing (81) read (66) read in 2010 (29) read in 2011 (23) reincarnation (57) relationships (33) Seattle (77) to-read (116)
    Marley & Me by John Grogan (Trevorlanticism)
    A dog's purpose by W. Bruce Cameron (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: narrated by dog!
    Dog on It by Spencer Quinn (rxtheresa)
    rxtheresa: Written from dog's point of view
    The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst (jbarry)
    Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote (kalpitad)
    kalpitad: Although The Art of Racing in the Rain is fiction and Merle's Door is non-fiction, both provide a narrative about the mind and heart of a dog.
    Belka, Why Don't You Bark? by Hideo Furukawa (nsblumenfeld)
    A Dog's Life by Peter Mayle (Cecilturtle)
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach (Graphirus)
    Graphirus: Life-philosophy explained through action, an activity (flight/car racing)
    One Good Dog by Susan Wilson (hokansonh)

English (398)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (402)
After successfully avoiding this book for several years, a hard thing to do in the author's hometown of Seattle, my book club chose this title for our March read. Narrated from the point of view of a dog, this novel of a race car driver and his family is necessarily limited in scope. Enzo, the lab, adores his master, Denny, believes he is to be reincarnated as a human (per a documentary on television), and philosophizes about life, evolution, and death. When Denny's wife becomes ill, the debts mount, and a nasty child custody battle threatens the family, Enzo remains loyal and supportive, doing all he can to keep his human family together. A book that has its rabid fans, I just couldn't buy into it. To me it felt like a writing workshop final exam: creative, but contrived and sappy. How did this book become so popular? ( )
  labfs39 | Mar 27, 2014 |
I was given this book when my dog was diagnosed with AIHA. Beautifully written. ( )
  Team-Second-Chance | Mar 27, 2014 |
Rarely do I find a book that can both make me laugh out loud and cry. An excellent and quick read, and a loving take on a "man's best friend" story. ( )
  bethers1919 | Mar 1, 2014 |
Best book I ever read!!! couldn't put it down. Definitely a book to make you cry ( )
  lindseymss | Feb 26, 2014 |
This book has been in my TBR pile for a long time. For some reason, I was motivated to read it today, and I am glad I did. What an incredibly moving book! I'm not really sure where to start because the book is so multi-dimensional. I thought about my dogs and wonder what they are thinking, I learned about endurance car racing and its application to life, and I enjoyed the story that wove it all together. It was sad, but what a great ending. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Feb 13, 2014 |
Fans of Marley & Me, rejoice.
added by cmwilson101 | editEntertainment Weekly

If you've ever wondered what your dog is thinking, Stein's third novel offers an answer. Enzo is a lab terrier mix plucked from a farm outside Seattle to ride shotgun with race car driver Denny Swift as he pursues success on the track and off. Denny meets and marries Eve, has a daughter, Zoë, and risks his savings and his life to make it on the professional racing circuit. Enzo, frustrated by his inability to speak and his lack of opposable thumbs, watches Denny's old racing videos, coins koanlike aphorisms that apply to both driving and life, and hopes for the day when his life as a dog will be over and he can be reborn a man. When Denny hits an extended rough patch, Enzo remains his most steadfast if silent supporter. Enzo is a reliable companion and a likable enough narrator, though the string of Denny's bad luck stories strains believability. Much like Denny, however, Stein is able to salvage some dignity from the over-the-top drama.
added by cmwilson101 | editPublisher's Weekly

“I savored Garth Stein’s The Art of Racing in the Rain for many reasons: a dog who speaks, the thrill of competitive racing, a heart-tugging storyline, and--best of all--the fact that it is a meditation on humility and hope in the face of despair.”
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Wally Lamb

Stein, GarthAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Welch, Christopher EvanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna
For Muggs
Gestures are all that I have; sometimes they must be grand in nature.
To live every day as if it had been stolen from death, that is how I would like to live. (pg 160; first harper paperback published 2009) ~ Enzo~

She died that night. Her last breath took her soul, I saw it in my dream. I saw her soul leave her body as she exhaled, and then she had no more needs, no more reason; she was released from her body, and, being released, she continued her journey elsewhere, high in the firmament where soul material gathers and plays out all the dreams and joys of which we temporal beings can barely conceive, all the things that are beyond our comprehension, but even so, are not beyond our attainment if we choose to attain them, and believe that we truly can.

In Monglolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog's master whispers into the dog's ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat or fat is placed in his mouth to sustain his soul on its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog's soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like.
"The Art of Racing in the Rain" and "Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog" are two different books. Please do not combine them. One is a young adult book  ("Racing in the Rain: My life as a Dog"), the other is an adult book of the same story "The Art of Racing in the Rain".  As the "Racing in the Book" puts it: "This is a special adaptation for young people of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling adult novel The Art of Racing in the Rain."

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope--a captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life . . . as only a dog could tell it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:47 -0400)

Nearing the end of his life, Enzo, a dog with a philosopher's soul, tries to bring together the family, pulled apart by a three year custody battle between daughter Zoe's maternal grandparents and her father Denny, a race car driver.

Garth Stein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Garth Stein chatted with LibraryThing members from May 17, 2010 to May 28, 2010. Read the chat.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,434,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible