The Snow Queen (Tales of the Five Hundred…

The Snow Queen (Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, Book 4) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Mercedes Lackey

7712011,991 (3.67)22
Member:parasolofdoom
Title:The Snow Queen (Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, Book 4)
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:Luna (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****

The Snow Queen by Mercedes Lackey (2008)

English (19)  German (1)  All (20)
I like Aleksia almost as much as Elena - it's a fascinating take on the Snow Queen tale. I love her excitement at being allowed (required) to actually enter the story... Anukka is even more interesting, and Kaari is sweet (and unexpectedly determined). The men are less interesting (which fits with the standard Snow Queen tale - Kay is always pretty flat compared to Gerda. The romances aren't all that interesting - actually, I think Anukka has a better chance of real romance than Aleksia. The shape-changing is interesting, and the myths that aren't what I'm familiar with. Enjoyable, and rereadable (I suspect I'll find things I missed on a reread). ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 29, 2017 |
Not as enjoyable as the first two books in the 500 Kingdoms series but still a fun read. The only real downside of the story was that the plot dragged in a few places. But I really enjoyed that Aleksia was already long established as fairy godmother of her region and knew, for the most part, what she was doing. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I liked the idea of this book, but honestly there wasn't enough plot. It was fun reading about Aleksia, another Godmother.

But the ending and the premise of the story was just not really existent.
Even the side characters were pretty boring. Although it's usually fun to read a redone fairy tale, Kay and Gerda went pretty flat because it didn't have any change from the original story.

I also wish there was more time put into Kari and the idea behind the symbols given because there is potential in that premise and that village. But it all just ended up with her thinking about Viekko and love very hard.
... cool.

A fairly flat novel.

2.5 rounded up. I think it starts to go downhill from here. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
The weakest of the series, so far. ( )
  ComicGirl178 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Perret, PattiAuthor Photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of

Alex the Grey

www.alexfoundation.org
"You're not like any fairy godmother I ever heard of," young Kay said, sullenly, his voice echoing in the enormous, and otherwise empty, throne room.
There is an empty space where you should be, the song said. It is a mortal wound that I will never recover from. Where are you? I would give all that I have to join you. Without you, the sunlight is dim. Without you, food is tasteless, flowers have lost their scent, birdsong has no melody. Without you, why it there Spring? Without you, life has no meaning. My friends try to comfort me, but there is no comfort to be had. I am alone in the darkness and cold of my own soul, and there is nothing good in the world without you. Page 357

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802943, Mass Market Paperback)

Aleksia, Queen of the Northern Lights, is mysterious, beautiful and widely known to have a heart of ice. But when she's falsely accused of unleashing evil on nearby villages, she realizes there's an impostor out there far more heartless than she could ever be.

And when a young warrior disappears, Aleksia's powers are needed as never before.

Now, on a journey through a realm of perpetual winter, it will take all her skills, a mother's faith and a little magic to face down an enemy more formidable than any she has ever known….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:48 -0400)

Falsely accused of unleashing evil on nearby villages, Aleksia, the ice fairy and Queen of the Northern Lights, realizing that a heartless imposter is ruining her reputation, sets out to face down a formidable foe.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,498,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible