Deryni Rising by Katherine KURTZ
Authors:Katherine KURTZ
Info:Ballantine Books (1970), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:sf/f, deryni chronicles

Deryni Rising by Katherine Kurtz

i just never became a Deryni fan. Perhaps because given both psychic and magical powers, I felt i could have done a lot better for theoretical Wales. i read this book in 1971. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 20, 2018 |
I am starting a re-read of this series but this time I will be doing them all in audiobook. Maybe some of the magic has worn off a little after many years but I still really enjoyed listening to this tale again. Looking forward to continuing on to the rest of the series. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
I first read the Chronicles of the Deryni back when there was only one series. I loved it back then. I hoped I would still like it. And I still do, starting with Deryni Rising. This book starts introducing the concept of Deryni magic and what it means to be a Deryni. While this is full of the typical fantasy trappings, I found myself caring about the characters. I wanted Kelson to succeed and become king. I rejoiced at each success and was sad with each failure.

If you like your fantasy with a quasi-medieval setting and a dose of magic, then you should certainly read this book. I think it is certainly suitable for young adult readers. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Mar 18, 2018 |
I know I read Kurtz back in the day when I was in high school and college, but this particular book didn't ring any bells.

It is sort of Elves meet Man and interbreed for good and ill. Or maybe the Deryni are supposed to be aliens. I couldn't decide. I suppose it doesn't really matter.

At any rate, the Deryni are reviled for their heretical magical ways, but at the same time they come in handy to support the ruling class.

I found the whole emphasis on the church a bit off-putting. ( )
  majkia | Apr 8, 2017 |
The first(ish) in the much-read, much-beloved Deryni fantasy series. I found the characters flat, the plot nearly nonexistent, and the writing style so hackneyed and cheesy that I almost choked laughing. The female characters (the few that there are) all simper and weep hysterically (save the Evil one, who simpers and tries to look sultry). The male characters are all the bestest swordsmen ever with lean bodies and catlike grace. The only characters of color are all Evil. etc. This book was published in the 70s, so I suppose it could have been worse, but I don't intend to torment myself by reading anything else by Kurtz. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Katherine Kurtzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pepper, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For CARL M. SELLE who knew all along that it would begin this way.
Brion Haldane, King of Gwynedd, Prince of Meara, and Lord of the Purple March, reined in his horse sharply at the top of the hill and scanned the horizon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345347633, Mass Market Paperback)

In the kingdom of Gwynedd, the mysterious forces of magic and the superior power of the Church combine to challenge the rule of young Kelson. Now the fate of the Deryni -- a quasi-mortal race of sorcerers -- and, indeed, the fate of all the Eleven Kingdoms, rests on Kelson's ability to quash the rebellion by any means necessary . . . including the proscribed use of magic!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

A ... tale of romance and sorcery set in the imaginary kingdom of Gwynedd--where the mysterious forces of magic and the superior power of the Church combine to challenge the rule of young Kelson, who came to the throne when his father was brutally murdered by the sorceress Charissa. -Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,430,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible