Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope Osborne

Dinosaurs Before Dark (1992)

by Mary Pope Osborne

3,237None1,709 (3.69)24
2.6 (24) adventure (93) AR (22) AR 2.6 (24) chapter (18) chapter book (137) children (36) children's (60) children's books (18) children's fiction (22) dinosaurs (268) fantasy (127) fiction (187) historical fiction (52) history (26) juvenile (26) juvenile fiction (19) kids (19) Level M (42) M (63) magic (48) Magic Tree House (375) mystery (23) novel (17) science (28) series (142) siblings (24) time travel (76) treehouse (18) youth (20)

English (75)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (78)
Siblings Jack and Annie discover a mysterious tree house in their neighborhood that is filled with books. They are soon whisked away to the Cretaceus Period, where they befriend and are chased by different species of dinosaurs, and realize that the books are magical wish granters. This book is great for transitional readers because the text is large with a limited vocabulary, and the black and white illustrations aid in conceptualizing the different dinosaurs and highlight the adventuresome nature of the text. The siblings have slightly gender specific characteristics, with Jack being scientific and Annie emotional, but their personalities and contributions are equally valued in the story. The wide variety of subjects that are covered in the series will also introduce new readers to many different interests they can pursue through books, and don't need to be read in order. ( )
  Honanb | Mar 17, 2014 |
I think that this series would be great for read alouds. It is very suspenseful and leaves cliff hangers at the end of every chapter. I could certainly see students begging for more! I like the amount of adventure that Jack and Annie have, and the fact that they are the only two main characters make the book very easy to follow. I also really enjoy the illustrations that Mary Pope Osbourne has inside the chapters. These would help children with their ability to imagine what Jack and Annie are doing throughout the story. I also think that this series could be incredibly educational for children when it comes to getting interested in history. A very good read that I would recommend to anyone with young children or students! ( )
  L_Cochran | Mar 15, 2014 |
This was a nice read-aloud chapter book. My 4 yo. enjoyed the cliff-hanger chapter endings. The book was wholesome and full of adventure. The story was easy to follow with just two characters. There were illustrations every few pages to help with attention and scene setting.

We will definitely read more from this series. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
the beginning of the Jack and Annie adventure series where a magic treehouse becomes the vehicle for taking them on adventures beyond their world and even into the past.
  bp0128bd | Jan 24, 2014 |
I was (like a lot of children in my generation) absolutely obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid. I'm not sure if it was some sort of spontaneous revelation in all elementary school students or if it had something to do with Jurassic Park (though I suspect the latter), but if a book had a dinosaur involved in any way, shape, or form I was bound to pick it up eventually.

The Magic Tree House series was a highly publicized series and though I did not care much for the premise of a time-traveling tree house, I did very much like books and dinosaurs, and Dinosaurs Before Dark promised plenty of both, so I was happy to start reading it.

I don't think I enjoyed it this time around as much as I did as a child -- I remember it being much more in depth than it was -- but I still enjoyed thinking about Jack and Annie's adventure as they discovered a tree house in the forest next to their Pennsylvania home filled to the brim with books on every sort of thing. After picking up a book on dinosaurs, they find themselves accidentally wished back to their time. There are some obligatory scenes with iconic carnivorous dinosaurs, but also a lot of interaction with gentle herbivorous dinosaurs that I find more enjoyable than their mad dash from a Tyrannosaurus rex. I think what is most pleasing about this book is the sense of potential - it is easy to see how it spawned such an extensive, popular series. I'll definitely be reading them all. ( )
  vombatiformes | Jan 12, 2014 |

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Linda and Mallory,
who took the trip with me.
"Help! A monster!" said Annie.

Eight-year-old Jack and his younger sister Annie find a magic tree house, which whisks them back to an ancient time zone where they see live dinosaurs.

Jack and Annie's very first fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series—the Magic Tree House!

Where did the tree house come from?

Before Jack and Annie can find out, the mysterious tree house whisks them to the prehistoric past. Now they have to figure out how to get home. Can they do it before dark . . . or will they become a dinosaur's dinner?

Visit the Magic Tree House website!
MagicTreeHouse.com

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:34 -0400)

Eight-year-old Jack and his younger sister Annie find a magic treehouse, which whisks them back to an ancient time zone where they see live dinosaurs.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible