Magic Tree House #01: Dinosaurs Before Dark…

Magic Tree House #01: Dinosaurs Before Dark (1992)

by Mary Pope Osborne

Other authors: Sal Murdocca (Illustrator)

Series: Magic Tree House (1)

English (95)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (98)
This is the first Magic Tree house book in the series and it is great. Kids not only go on the adventure with Jack and Annie but they also get to learn all about dinosaurs which can show an interest in both boys and girls. I love this book because how engaging it is. The concept of the Magic Tree House magically transporting Jack and Annie back in time to see dinosaurs is really cool. Another aspect is that they aren't just going back in time to see dinosaurs, but they were sent on a secret quest to find a medallion. However, they do not know that they were sent there for a purpose. As you read further into the books, the reader finds out that Morgan, a wizard, has been sending Jack and Annie on these quests. The first book does a really good job of intriguing the readers to read the rest of the series.
  brittanyyelle | Oct 21, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about the first book in the Magic Tree House series. One thing I definitely liked about this story was the plot; it was very enticing and got the reader interested while also teaching some facts about dinosaurs in the past. The plot was perfect for young children because it was a fascinating tale of time-travel but was also educational. Another thing I enjoyed was the illustrations that went along with the story. On many pages there were detailed pictures that enhanced the intense plot. In particular there is an illustration of Jack riding on the Pteranodon's back trying to escape the T-Rex. I loved this picture because it really helped the reader imagine what it would be like. There were many things I enjoyed about this book but something I didn't really enjoy was the writing. I understand that this is a book written for young children but I don't believe that the language is challenging or complex enough. There is little figurative language and the sentences are very simplistic. Other than the undemanding text, I think this was a good story for younger students. Finding a main idea or purpose of books in large series like The Magic Tree House can be difficult. However, I think that the main idea in this story is that imagination can be very complex in children and that it can teach you a lot. ( )
  CasieProdoehl | Sep 14, 2015 |
Love this series. Great books for kids to help build confidence in reading skills. ( )
  iamryancorcoran | May 12, 2015 |
When I was a child, the Magic Treehouse books were my favorite books to read. The quick and easy to read chapters made me feel a sense of accomplishment as I zipped through the pages. In this specific Magic Treehouse book, the two kids travel back in time by their treehouse into the dinosaur era. They are able to meet and see many of the dinosaurs that lived in that time. The two embark on a wild and crazy adventure that keeps the reader engaged throughout the whole book. The simple vocabulary and fact filled story makes for an extremely informational book packed with details about each dinosaur. The author did a great job at creating an informational book with a sense of adventure. This helps children to enjoy their learning process. ( )
  evandy1 | May 3, 2015 |
Grades 1-3. The magic tree house follows a brother and sister duo as they embark on a mission through their magical tree house. These books, due to the series, can be used as introductory text to a number of topics.
  Gamino | Apr 29, 2015 |

Mary Pope Osborneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murdocca, SalIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Linda and Mallory,
who took the trip with me.
"Help! A monster!" said Annie.
Dinosaurs Before Dark is the US title
Valley of the Dinosaurs is the UK title.

Eight-year-old Jack and his younger sister Annie find a magic tree house, which whisks them back to an ancient time zone where they see live dinosaurs.

Jack and Annie's very first fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series—the Magic Tree House!

Where did the tree house come from?

Before Jack and Annie can find out, the mysterious tree house whisks them to the prehistoric past. Now they have to figure out how to get home. Can they do it before dark . . . or will they become a dinosaur's dinner?

Visit the Magic Tree House website!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:43 -0400)

Eight-year-old Jack and his younger sister Annie find a magic treehouse, which whisks them back to an ancient time zone where they see live dinosaurs.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,852,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible