A Darkness at Sethanon: Volume IV in the…

A Darkness at Sethanon: Volume IV in the Riftwar Saga (original 1986; edition 1987)

by Raymond Feist

Sethanon, a city of ruins, becomes the setting of the final battle between Order and Chaos, while the master magician Pug undertakes the perilous task to confront the terrible Enemy for the fate of a thousand worlds.
Member:the.wiltin.rose
Title:A Darkness at Sethanon: Volume IV in the Riftwar Saga
Authors:Raymond Feist
Info:Spectra (1987), Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages

A Darkness at Sethanon by Raymond E. Feist (1986)

English (34)  French (2)  All languages (36)
I'm so glad I squeezed it in for the end of the year. :) Reading A Darkness at Sethanon again after so many years and having loved the series BOTH times, I feel kind of sad having finished it. I could keep going forever.

Fortunately, I might be able to. Feist has kept writing since I finished these the first time. :) :)

We see a lot more of the dragons, Pug, and Thomas in this one. But let's not forget about Jimmy the Hand! Martin Longbow! Getting to know past enemies and butting heads with new is just as good now as then!

I think I forgot about all the twisty timey-wimey multiversal adventures! Riding a dragon, going to the halls of the dead, defeating the eater of worlds... but above all, it's seeing all the changes in ALL the characters. So much happens, so much intrigue, so much mind-blowing BIGNESS. It's something I'm used to in SF but generally, don't see all that much of in Fantasy... but it's perfectly suited to it. :)

All told, I'm very, very happy to be getting back into Feist. Now I can catch up with ALL the books I've been missing. *rubs hands together hungrily* ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
En weer een deel uit de Saga uit. Ik wou dat ik deze serie eerder had ontdekt.

Arthura, Robbie, Gardaan reizen af om er achter zien te komen wie er achter de moordaanslag op Arthura zit.

Met de hulp van Ryath (een draak) reizen Puc en Tomas naar ongedachte plaatsen om Macros te vinden. Met zijn hulp willen ze de Vijand vernietigen.

Soms blijkt een tegenstander opeens je medestander te zijn.

Sommige mensen vinden deze boeken, en dan met name dit boek seksistisch omdat vrouwen een onderdanige rol spelen, maar laten we niet vergeten dat dit een boek uit de jaren '80 is EN een andere wereld.

O ja... er zijn ook draken in dit boek!

EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
A Darkness at Sethanon is the final book in the Riftwar Saga, the first subseries in Raymond E. Feist’s Riftwar Cycle.

Like the previous books, this was a good story that held my interest all the way through. I didn’t enjoy it quite as well as the previous books, though. It seemed like there was less of the fun banter that I’ve enjoyed so much in previous books, although there were still some great moments. Also, although this book wrapped the story up pretty well, I had some complaints about how that was done. I still enjoyed this book a lot, but I think there are some things that I’ve just become pickier about now that I have more epic fantasy under my belt.

I’ll elaborate on my above comments a bit behind the spoiler tags:
I felt like the Pug and Tomas storyline was a bit over the top, and those were the only parts where my interest wavered. Fortunately, they were only a small portion of the book. It just seemed like we were piling one “big thing” after another. Yes, it’s definitely high time we got an oracle involved. Oh, and what good fantasy story doesn’t involve a visit to the Halls of the Dead? Ah, yes, a nice long hallway with portals to tons of different worlds would be a cool thing to add. And I’m skipping a few. Each place they went to was supposedly more amazingly difficult to get to than the last. Tomas and Pug also seemed to possess/gain overly-strong powers, with Tomas’ in particular seeming to come out of nowhere with some nebulous explanation that the existence of the Valheru gave him more powers that he no longer had at the end of the book when they had been defeated. Oh, and the amulet Arutha wore that protected him from being located by Murmandamus? Yes, it’s totally logical that this amulet would be used to convert his sword into something that could deflect magical energy and harm magical/supernatural beings.

I was much more invested in the more down-to-earth parts – the almost-assassination of Arutha, faking his death, seeking out Murmandamus, the huge battle at Armengar, the race for Sethanon, etc. That made it doubly frustrating to me that most of those actions didn’t really amount to much, or else they helped the enemy in the end. For example, the battle at Armengar where they managed to kill so many of the invaders only served to strengthen Murmandamus since he fed off the deaths of both friend and foe. Arutha’s battle with Murmandamus didn’t really accomplish anything, and even Pug’s and Kulgan’s attempt to keep the rifts closed and Tomas’ fight with the Valheru only staved off the destruction. The real “hero” was the lifestone, or possibly the gods, that somehow destroyed the Valheru in some inexplicable way. We don’t even know if Tomas’ sword in the lifestone affected anything or if it was just a coincidence. I just wanted to see my heroes’ actions and suffering amount to more after spending all that time reading about it.

Despite some of my sarcasm, I really did enjoy most of the story, and I love the characters, but I also have to admit that there are some issues. The things I do love make up for it though, and I’m sure the nostalgia factor is playing a role.
1 vote YouKneeK | Sep 8, 2019 |
After a year of quiet the Enemy is once again after Arutha, after discovering a Nighthawk nest, Arutha, Martin, Laurie, Lockear and Jimmy are again off on adventures to rid the land of this threat. Pug has evolved and he and Tomas also seek out knowledge to find a way to defeat their foe. Lots of action, war and watching everyone learn, grow and mature in the face of great peril.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Set a few years later than 'Silverthorn', Arutha and Anita have settled down to as normal a married life as could be expected for the Prince of Krondor and his wife. The Nighthawks have been vanquished as far as they could tell and the couple are revelling in the joys of parenthood (male twins). But the Nighthawks are still a potent force and their dark master has demanded that Arutha die as publically as possible. With Krondor suddenly plunged into chaos when the Prince is killed by a Nighthawk attack, Jimmy, now head squire, finds the activities of his betters rather confusing as he and his friend Locky are shut out of the preparations for the Prince's funeral and he finds that the Prince has survived the attack and is planning to carry the attack to the dark forces behind the Nighthawks. Meanwhile, Pug and Tomas, Master Magician and Valheru, find themselves involved against the real evil behind the moredhel hordes planning their invasion of the Kingdom. We also meet some old friends and enemies who are a lot more friendly than first anticipated, and hordes and hordes of moredhel. And one of the, err, coolest, explosions ever! ( )
  JohnFair | Jul 16, 2017 |

Raymond E. Feistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, Kinuko Y.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guarnieri, AnnaritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, Kevin EugeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kenyon, LizCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lo! Death has reared himself a throne In a strange city. Poe, The City in the Sea, st. 1
This book is dedicated to my mother, Barbara A. Feist, who never doubted for a moment
The wind came from nowhere.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,437,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible